Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 15, 16, 7:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 18, 15, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star
Thanks everyone. I'll look into this. With the job and family it can be difficult to duck away for the day to visit the PDX Starbucks.
Old Oct 18, 15, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll look into this. With the job and family it can be difficult to duck away for the day to visit the PDX Starbucks.
Understandable though if you have any travel plans with the family next year - surely they'll understand a quick day trip when you mention the additional free bags and free access to MCE that they will all receive when you get PLT instead of Gold which can make a difference when traveling with a family.
Old Oct 18, 15, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Understandable though if you have any travel plans with the family next year - surely they'll understand a quick day trip when you mention the additional free bags and free access to MCE that they will all receive when you get PLT instead of Gold which can make a difference when traveling with a family.
Not also that, but you are gaining an extra 50% RDM bonus if you are PLT, and being able to pick MCE seats for free at time of booking is also big bonus as well.
Old Nov 13, 15, 6:44 am

Programs: Executive Platinum AA, Silver US Air
Status-buy up

Does anyone know if American will have the buy up program that they had last year around this time?
Old Nov 13, 15, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yes, someone knows. But nobody here has posted credible info yet.
Old Nov 13, 15, 7:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by jsc708 View Post
Does anyone know if American will have the buy up program that they had last year around this time?
This question has already come up, so I've made the first thread into a consolidated thread and merged this in. I have a feeling this won't be the last time it's raised!

~Moderator
Old Nov 13, 15, 10:49 am

Buy in for Gold for 2016? - looks like I'll be coming up short

It's looking like I will end up with 20,273 miles at the end of 2015. Will there be a program where I can buy up to Gold? Saw something where it looke dlike they offered this before for $399 but that may have been a targeted offer?

Hoping to avoid having to do a mileage run and book a long connecting flight from Charlotte to Seattle to get to 25k (for around the same cost). But if they won't be offering a buy-in I guess I may have to book that now.

Does anyone know whether it's a given that I will be able to buy up?

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 15, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Plat Preferred
Originally Posted by jam550 View Post
It's looking like I will end up with 20,273 miles at the end of 2015. Will there be a program where I can buy up to Gold? Saw something where it looke dlike they offered this before for $399 but that may have been a targeted offer?

Hoping to avoid having to do a mileage run and book a long connecting flight from Charlotte to Seattle to get to 25k (for around the same cost). But if they won't be offering a buy-in I guess I may have to book that now.

Thanks

Nothing has been announced yet to my knowledge...it is usually around this time of the year they would. Stay tuned though as they still might. If you dont want to take a chance then you might want to take the sure bet and MR it.
Old Nov 13, 15, 10:58 am
Suspended

In previous years I think it was announced in first 2 weeks of November-- like the 8th, 9th and 11th (2014)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23822540-post11.html (2014)

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5552 (2013)

Maybe one year it was (much) later? Something rings a bell there.

Not sure what, if anything, to expect this year
Old Nov 13, 15, 11:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

This came up earlier today... in fact I'd be surprised if it wasn't still on page 1. In any event, I've merged your post and its replies into the extant thread.

~Moderator
Old Nov 16, 15, 12:06 pm

Anyone hearing anything on this? Starting to get nervous!
Old Nov 16, 15, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Anyone hearing anything on this? Starting to get nervous!
I bet if anyone had, they would have posted it.

As mentioned a couple of posts above, we're past the point in November where it's traditionally announced-- and usually rumored a week or so before that or more.

And, this ain't no normal year.
Old Nov 17, 15, 11:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exp
Found this: https://elite2015.aa.com/faq.cfm

Doesn't seem to be active yet.
Old Nov 17, 15, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cruggles View Post

Good news. This means that you MUST earn EXP - one can NOT buy up to EXP.

So only Gold or Plat achievable through the program.
Old Nov 17, 15, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cruggles View Post

Nice find! ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: