Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Chewie
Interesting offer... I was 1503 miles short of renewing EXP on Monday and they wanted $1,199 to renew. I was lucky to take a same day RT ticket PHL>FLL yesterday for $151. I'm now a renewed EXP for next year.

AA's calculations are way out of line.
I would assume that they wouldn't bother if people didn't buy but I have always thought they were excessive. I think that the US buy miles offer was rather more reasonable.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:55 pm

Exec Plat - Boost or Fly

Looking for guidance. I will end up 379 miles short if i don't take one more leg before Dec 31. Problem is i am already on a run, and return Dec 30. I also have talked to AAdvantage help desk; they have submitted an exception for me, but no guarantees, and will take about 4 weeks to adjudicate. So, do i take a quick run on Dec 31 (cost about $325), or wait for their decision? If they decide no, i can still boost for $1199. Thoughts??
Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Depends on your own risk tolerance but you basically have to ask yourself if you are going to be upset if they say no and you have to pay $1199 when you could've spent $325 on Dec 31 that's essentially the trade-off.

If it were me I'd rather put the miles in the bank for $325 instead of risking $1199 if they say no but YMMV.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
If it were me I would fly. Costs less and you know you'll get the miles. Is there any way to make a change to your current run to pickup the additional 379 miles?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to Flyertalk.

We have merged your query into the existing thread to discuss this topic.

This way, we hopefully avoid information fragmentation, and members can find information, ask and answer questions and maintain discussion continuity rather than try to determine which of dozens of threads might have the answer - or lose the discussion. We do this because this is a very large and active forum (even Christmas - at the moment, we have 243 (47 members & 196 guests) reading and participating in this forum alone.

We hope you will find our forum and Flyertalk welcoming and most helpful to your travel.

/Moderator

As to your question, I'd use Google Flights, enter your starting point and define which airline(s) you want and go flying, myself. AA has been much less prone to grant exceptions now that they've monetized keeping status when there's even a small EQM deficit.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tucsnaz
If it were me I would fly. Costs less and you know you'll get the miles. Is there any way to make a change to your current run to pickup the additional 379 miles?
Agree. I'd fly and just not worry about it. I certainly wouldn't rely on AA CS to get you an exception and I definitely wouldn't pay $1199 for 379 miles either.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:31 pm

Does anyone know if you can use AA gift cards for a status boost? I got the Gold upgrade offer for 6 hundred something. I have several gift cards that I'd like to use if I end up going ahead with it.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:24 pm

Alright, I got too impatient and decided to just purchase with my card! I'll use the GCs down the road anyways.

Next question - anyone have anecdotal evidence on how long it typically takes for the elite status to go into effect? They said "within five business days," but I'm just curious if they're typically quicker than that or not. Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:27 pm

Ended up booking a roundtrip (ALB-DCA) for $320 on Dec 25. A couple days later i realized i probably should have booked a 1 way which would have given me 500 miles, and would have cost less. O well...
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT
So, I'm currently ~250 miles short of requalifying for PLT. Tonight i was supposed to fly LIT-DFW-LAX, but LIT-DFW was cancelled. Now, i've been rebooked on United (no available AA flights for three days) flying tomorrow. Will I be given credit and thus retain my status? These are my last two segments for the year. What should i do? Thanks in advance for any advice/help.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by onechordwonder
So, I'm currently ~250 miles short of requalifying for PLT. Tonight i was supposed to fly LIT-DFW-LAX, but LIT-DFW was cancelled. Now, i've been rebooked on United (no available AA flights for three days) flying tomorrow. Will I be given credit and thus retain my status? These are my last two segments for the year. What should i do? Thanks in advance for any advice/help.
If AA rebooked you you can request original routing credit (ORC) to get the miles / segments. You need to call in though, I don't think it happens automatically.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:18 am

I bought Gold boost on Saturday evening. Account is now Gold as of this morning (Monday) at 10 am ET. Woohoo! Have a couple flights tomorrow so hope I can get upgraded
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
I bought Gold boost on Saturday evening. Account is now Gold as of this morning (Monday) at 10 am ET. Woohoo! Have a couple flights tomorrow so hope I can get upgraded
Welcome to FT. Are they short flights? Or are you buying stickers? Maybe you can use your GCs on buying stickers? I know vouchers are usually accepted at counter, not sure about GC.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:00 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/47.0.2526.107 Mobile/13C75 Safari/601.1.46)

One is just over 500 (ABQ-DFW) and one is just under 1000 (DFW-TPA). Not worth the two 500 milers for the short flight, but I'll see about using my GCs for em at check-in tomorrow. Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I would just caution that with the cancellations/delays that have hit DFW the last few days, I wouldn't count on getting the upgrades on any flights through DFW today or tomorrow (especially with only gold status and such a late request for upgrades). Let it be a pleasant surprise if it happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.