Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
Just qualified for gold next year by an extra 1000 points a couple weeks ago. Shortly after got an email to pay $1299 to remain platinum for next year.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dgparent
Yes your stickers are good forever and you can use them again once you reach gold,you will actually see them in your account you just can't use them till you hit gold again. I had 8 sitting there for 7 years
awesome--thanks.now in terms of segments, even if I buy the gold status, im starting at zero segments, correct? years ago I bought a silver trial and quickly worked my way up the ladder, so to speak..wondering if there is any similarity here
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:09 am

I had no status this year and it was not fun. I will end the year with 21k miles, so will be eligible to buy up to Gold for $399.

I am leaning towards paying the $399 just to have the comfort and good seating choices back, but am wondering if this is financially a good decision? Is the only real quantifiable benefit to being Gold that I will earn 1.5x files flown and the 500 mile minimum for short flights? Anything else to justify me doing this?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jam550
I had no status this year and it was not fun. I will end the year with 21k miles, so will be eligible to buy up to Gold for $399.

I am leaning towards paying the $399 just to have the comfort and good seating choices back, but am wondering if this is financially a good decision? Is the only real quantifiable benefit to being Gold that I will earn 1.5x files flown and the 500 mile minimum for short flights? Anything else to justify me doing this?
You will not get 1.5x miles flown, this is based on the ticket, not your status. You also do not get complete comfort and good seating choices back, you will only have access to these for free T24, you would need Plat. to have these at the time of booking (if you are thinking of MCE)

Depending how much you fly, you may well be able to buy up to MCE on longer flights and spend less then the $399
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
If you have the choice between (1) paying a few hundred dollars to renew Gold status vs. (2) getting the $450 Citi AA card that has Admirals Club access, isn't getting the credit card wiser, for the following reasons?

* The card gives plenty of Gold benefits except upgrades and Main Cabin Extra.
* Upgrades are very difficult as a Gold, so you might as well just get 50,000 miles with the credit card and use those to upgrade.
* You don't get free Main Cabin Extra as a Gold until just before departure so you might as well just buy MCE seats at full price (if you fly only short domestic trips, the cost isn't too bad).

Most importantly:
* If you pay to renew Gold status, aren't you blocked from doing a fast track/challenge to get Gold again? Thus if you pay to renew Gold status, your time will run out for good after a year, while if you get the credit card, you will have fewer but longer-lasting benefits.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:09 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by dgparent
Yes your stickers are good forever and you can use them again once you reach gold,you will actually see them in your account you just can't use them till you hit gold again. I had 8 sitting there for 7 years
What about for a non-elite on Y/B fares? Allowed? Used to be allowed?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:53 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
What about for a non-elite on Y/B fares? Allowed? Used to be allowed?
I believe used to be allowed, but now no longer allowed.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/t...p#terms500mile

Non elite status members may only upgrade when they are traveling as the companion to an elite status member.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
If you have the choice between (1) paying a few hundred dollars to renew Gold status vs. (2) getting the $450 Citi AA card that has Admirals Club access, isn't getting the credit card wiser, for the following reasons?

* The card gives plenty of Gold benefits except upgrades and Main Cabin Extra.
* Upgrades are very difficult as a Gold, so you might as well just get 50,000 miles with the credit card and use those to upgrade.
* You don't get free Main Cabin Extra as a Gold until just before departure so you might as well just buy MCE seats at full price (if you fly only short domestic trips, the cost isn't too bad).

Most importantly:
* If you pay to renew Gold status, aren't you blocked from doing a fast track/challenge to get Gold again? Thus if you pay to renew Gold status, your time will run out for good after a year, while if you get the credit card, you will have fewer but longer-lasting benefits.
But if I get the credit card, I have to spend something like $20,000 on it before the flying benefits kick in, right? So nothing would change until I hit that threshold several months after having it, correct?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by lexicon77
You will not get 1.5x miles flown, this is based on the ticket, not your status. You also do not get complete comfort and good seating choices back, you will only have access to these for free T24, you would need Plat. to have these at the time of booking (if you are thinking of MCE)

Depending how much you fly, you may well be able to buy up to MCE on longer flights and spend less then the $399
Sorry - it looks like the benefit is 1.25x miles flown, right? This is what the site says:

◾Complimentary auto-requested upgrades on flights 500 miles or less

◾24-hour upgrade window

◾25% elite mileage bonus

◾50% off Main Cabin Extra Seats (complimentary at check-in)

◾Complimentary Preferred Seats

◾1 free checked bag
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:49 pm

Boost or challenge

Hi,

First time posting here, need some suggestions. I took a job on the East Coast, therefore, will be flying at least 2x a month to see the family in L.A. I was wondering what's better option for me, currently, I have roughly 10000 miles, with 1 month left, there's no way I can make status, MRs is not an option right now. Therefore, I am wondering what's better, pay $600 to boost to Gold, or wait until next year to do a challenge, if a new one comes out. I would appreciate any inputs. Thanks

Tony
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by jam550
But if I get the credit card, I have to spend something like $20,000 on it before the flying benefits kick in, right? So nothing would change until I hit that threshold several months after having it, correct?
Sorry, not correct. You get flight benefits (first-class check-in, earlier boarding, etc.) as soon as you have the card. The only benefit of spending tens of thousands on it are that some of the miles you earn get converted into status-qualifying miles.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
This is a tough one. $600 to boost to gold, will yield you 25% RDM bonus, priority boarding, priority access. This will help out a bit for 2016 when you travel 2x a month. I would not count on challenge for 2016, as we do not know how or when it will be.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Does work have a travel coordinator who could talk to AA sales about getting you status?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
Just get a CC and you have most of the perks of gold until you get gold and can have free same day change if that's important. Doubt golds get many free transcon upgrades anyway. Paying for MCE for 2 or 4 trips should cost far less than $600.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mialink
Just get a CC and you have most of the perks of gold until you get gold and can have free same day change if that's important. Doubt golds get many free transcon upgrades anyway. Paying for MCE for 2 or 4 trips should cost far less than $600.
I would go this route. I think a CC with bag benefits and priority boarding might set you back $95 max, if there's not one without a annual fee.

A RT transcon flight averages very roughly 4800 EQM (depending on where you are on the east coast and if it's a direct flight). You'll need 25,000 to get gold, so that would be 2.5 months (or minimum 10 flights) before you hit gold. So 10 flights @ ~$30 for MCE, and you're only at 300. Still a better deal to do the CC and earn gold that way, hoping for a challenge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.