Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:57 pm

This was categorized as a "Transportation Expense".

Was hoping for 3x points from airline purchases.

Bummer.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
For those struggling to align their offer with the tables here, keep in mind that the offers seem to take a few days to update after flights post. For instance, it took three days from my when my flight posted that took me over 85k miles before I was shown the $2499 offer. And the offer is based on current miles/points/segments in the account, not prospective to the end of the year.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by deeruck
For those struggling to align their offer with the tables here, keep in mind that the offers seem to take a few days to update after flights post. For instance, it took three days from my when my flight posted that took me over 85k miles before I was shown the $2499 offer. And the offer is based on current miles/points/segments in the account, not prospective to the end of the year.
If you look at the first or the third (it is the same) reference in the Wiki you can see the whole chart.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
If you look at the first or the third (it is the same) reference in the Wiki you can see the whole chart.
Thanks. My point was the delay between your account updating to show recent flights and the elite2016.aa.com actually shifting you into the appropriate band.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by deeruck
Thanks. My point was the delay between your account updating to show recent flights and the elite2016.aa.com actually shifting you into the appropriate band.
And my point was that as long as you know your numbers you can look the answer up.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:48 pm

For those who have taken the offer, how long did it take for it to become active on your account? It says 5 business days, but the agent said it should be quicker but was not sure when it would post. I paid for the boost on Friday, was hoping to have it in effect before traveling on Wednesday.

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:55 am

Thanks

Last edited by clipclop; Apr 27, 2016 at 4:22 am
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
And my point was that as long as you know your numbers you can look the answer up.
Fantastic. And when the website offers you a different price than you should be getting, wait a few days
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Paul Allen
For those who have taken the offer, how long did it take for it to become active on your account? It says 5 business days, but the agent said it should be quicker but was not sure when it would post. I paid for the boost on Friday, was hoping to have it in effect before traveling on Wednesday.

Thanks
My status ended up posting around noon today, pretty quick considering I paid for it Friday afternoon as nothing should have happened over the weekend.

They told me that I would need to call in and have my Aadvantage number re-added to my itineraries that I had booked after I received the gold status. I called in this afternoon and they told me that the reservations system did not yet show me as a gold member, and that it might take a couple more days for it to reflect so that I could request upgrades. Does anyone know how long it might take the reservations system to recognize this? I am flying Wednesday night and wanted to get the upgrade request in before the 24 hour window started. Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:12 pm

Thanks

Last edited by clipclop; Apr 27, 2016 at 4:21 am
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by clipclop
That was fast! Did you get an email confirming the boost? Or just log-in at aa.com to see it?

I paid on Saturday afternoon, and all I get is the error message. Maybe it'll post tomorrow for me.

Just logged in and saw it, no email or anything like that. Fingers crossed yours will post soon!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:32 pm

Thanks

Last edited by clipclop; Apr 27, 2016 at 4:21 am
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
You'll be hard pressed to get rates like that on UA or DL. AA still tops imo.
Absolutely. Which is why I'm sticking with AA. I'm glad to be legitimately re-qualifying this year with my December flights, but I would do the boost if I wasn't.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:56 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by delerium
Got an email to renew my Plat for $1,199. LOL.

I have upcoming flights coming up so I will be Plat anyway... but this felt quite annoying given the latest changes to the program.
Mrs. wjj got the same offer. Problem is that she finished a challenge in September and her Plat status extends to Feb. 2017. The offer email said her status ended in Feb. 2016. A call to CS seems to have fixed the issue, but they had no explanation for what happened and told her to call back in a couple of weeks to be sure that her correct Plat end date got into the system (the matter had to be escalated). I wonder if this was just a one time quirk or if it is a program merger problem affecting any post June 15 challengers whose status should extend into 2017.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by clipclop
Thanks! btw, does your email confirmation receipt show any amounts? This is mine -- it doesn't show any pricing:

Mine shows pricing, but is in a slightly different format than yours. Mine did not list "Offer cost" or "Offer tax", just "Total charged to your credit card". It also had a paragraph above the part that says "We hope you enjoy your elite status" that says the status will be reflected on my account within 5 business days.

Still haven't had any luck getting my reservations to show that I am gold so that I can submit upgrade requests, they said I had to wait until it showed up in their "evip" system or something like that, and that it could take a couple more days but to keep checking back. Curious how long this typically takes, she didn't seem to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.