Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 15, 16, 7:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

In previous years, AA (and US) has offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. AA offers the program once again for c/y 2015 - status year 2016 (29 Feb 2016 - 28 Feb 2017 <sic>), as shown in a new FAQ on aa.com.

Q. How long do I have to purchase the offer?

Offers must be purchased by July 31, 2016, unless otherwise stated.

(2016) American Airlines Elite Status Offer Program

Secure Your Elite Status for 2016
(Link)

Frequently Asked Questions (Link)

Chart with requirements and costs (Link)

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 20, 15, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nlkm9 View Post
yep--sneaky!!!
There's nothing sneaky about it. Those who attain EXP status in the current program year will receive 8 SWUs.
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No way I'd buy Gold for $500.

If I planned to fly more than a handful of AA segments next year, I'd go one of two routes:

- Best mileage-bonus AA credit card if you want an option that nets out better than free. There are often promos that waive first year fees and kick in 50k miles or so.

- One of the two premium Citi cards (Prestige or Exec) if you're willing to outlay a few hundred bucks. Long threads here comparing/contrasting the pros and cons of these two cards. Someone with no AA elite status might prefer the richer AA benefits of the Exec card.
Old Nov 20, 15, 3:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
The email itself doesn't mention SWUs, but there is a link to a full list of benefits, where it states, "You’ll receive 8 systemwide upgrades when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status. Upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them."

That statement borders on being deceptive, in my opinion, given the recent changes that were announced to qualifying for status in 2017.
That's the current state of affairs; the reduction is in the future. Literally, no deception; figuratively, they're suppressing information about the future. Even then, the 4 SWU aren't a hard ceiling, as there is a path to earn more SWU for anyone, not just certain but unspecified "high value customers".
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Let me start by saying that I don't begrudge anyone for taking advantage of the buy-up offer, or the challenges, or fast track or anything...

But I do find it very frustrating that AA is now following the US model of allowing anybody to buy whatever status that they want - and then in the exact same week completely devalues that same status.

Obviously it is a great business move on their part - get people to pay for something with only illusory value.

But it is still frustrating to think that I put effort into flying exclusively OW in order to have status with AA -- which they clearly do not care about or appreciate or value in the least -- and then they allow anybody to buy that same status... and then reduce the benefits because there are too many elites...

sorry for the rant!
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
For someone like me who is PLT this year but did very little flying on AA in 2015 (to the tune of 24k miles), the opportunity to buy back PLT for $1199 is tempting. There's no way I could MR the 26k difference for $1199, not even close. The question is whether PLT status in of itself is worth $1199 over GLD, since I could easily MR up to GLD. It seems that if I plan on doing a lot of flying and need confirmed MCE in advance, then I could rack up over $1000 in MCE fees next year if just on GLD status and PLT would pay for itself.
That is interesting. They gave me the $1199 offer as well, but I'm only 10,000 away from platinum and have advance bookings to get me over the year end threshold anyway.
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca View Post
Let me start by saying that I don't begrudge anyone for taking advantage of the buy-up offer, or the challenges, or fast track or anything...

But I do find it very frustrating that AA is now following the US model of allowing anybody to buy whatever status that they want - and then in the exact same week completely devalues that same status.

Obviously it is a great business move on their part - get people to pay for something with only illusory value.

But it is still frustrating to think that I put effort into flying exclusively OW in order to have status with AA -- which they clearly do not care about or appreciate or value in the least -- and then they allow anybody to buy that same status... and then reduce the benefits because there are too many elites...

sorry for the rant!
But of course, they're not doing this except for some who meet certain parameters (and it's non-renewable except for real-earning status via EQM or EQS). And EP can't even buy back status. Look at the page and charts linked to (third or bottom link) in the wiki (or here).
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
But of course, they're not doing this except for some who meet certain parameters (and it's non-renewable except for real-earning status via EQM or EQS). And EP can't even buy back status. Look at the page and charts linked to (third or bottom link) in the wiki
And not to mention AA has had some sort of elite buyback for years before the US merger, so it hardly has anything to do with them following US practices...
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
And not to mention AA has had some sort of elite buyback for years before the US merger, so it hardly has anything to do with them following US practices...
True. I'm sure numbers of at least FTers will eschew the offers in preference of mileage runs, as well.
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
Wow, I got a similar offer, but they wanted $679! They must base it on some factor, such as how much you have flown or how many flights taken in the last year.

In the last year as Gold, I was able to get one (RT) free upgrade, which is automatically requested (or was) on flights under 500 miles-this is a nice perk but you never know if you are going to benefit, so I won't even expect that.

I wont bother, as with the AA Citicard I get all the perks I need. Gold is nice, as it has allowed us to select "choice" seats at no cost but not a deal breaker.

Originally Posted by lwhite8 View Post
Hi! I'm new to the forum, and would like some advice from the experts. :-:

I received an e-mail from AA allowing me to upgrade to gold status for $499.

My status would be good from now through Feb. 2017.

Is this a good deal - especially considering the changes in the loyalty program starting next year?

I've never been elite before, and American is my airline of choice, so I am considering it.

Thanks!

Last edited by wolfie52; Nov 20, 15 at 4:51 pm
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA++
Gold status for $649 - good deal?

Hi all,
I got this email today.

Is this good deal or useless?

------------------------------------------------------
Extend your Gold status for only $649
AAdvantage Gold Your American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status is set to expire on February 29, 2016, and we want to offer you an opportunity to continue enjoying Gold benefits through the 2016 membership year.

Act now, and we'll extend your Gold status for only $649. You'll continue to enjoy exceptional benefits including upgrades, free checked bags and much more. See a full list of benefits >>

Once you purchase, we'll extend your elite status through February 2017.
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by wolfie52 View Post
They must base it on some factor, such as how much you have flown or how many flights taken in the last year.
Yes. Renewal Parameters

Originally Posted by sombrachinesca View Post
AA is now following the US model of allowing anybody to buy whatever status that they want - and then in the exact same week completely devalues that same status.
No and no. Rants are better when they're at least in the neighborhood of being close to sort-of somewhat factually accurate.

Last edited by CPRich; Nov 20, 15 at 5:02 pm
Old Nov 20, 15, 5:47 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
The chart at this link:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/eliteren...RL&title=elite

suggests it should be costing you $699 if you're that close, not $899.
I suspect they're basing it on "if you cancel everything you have booked right now and take zero additional flights this year", rather than taking into account flights already booked. I'm currently at 44k EQM, with an LAX-OGG run booked over Christmas (which will bring me up to ~220-ish EQM away from Platinum), and need to book at least one more trip.

It's just kind of amusing to me to see the amount they want. Though even if it was the $699 offer, it would still be silly to ask for that much when literally the only thing I have to do to lock up Platinum the regular way is set foot on an AA flight one more time before January 1 and collect the segment minimum.
Old Nov 20, 15, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
EXP was at 92K & change, $1799.

With the trips I have booked through the rest of the year I'd be 1150 short. Just pulled the trigger on a $26 RT to Atlanta. Well, I had a $100 eVoucher, but you get the drift:

126 << 1799
Old Nov 21, 15, 12:49 am

Smile New AA offer- go to Gold for $399 this weekend

I'd already booked a flight to make these miles but if you don't have time, take it!
Old Nov 21, 15, 12:56 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
These offers are targeted based upon how many segments/miles you need to get you up to your status level. $399 is not for any random person.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: