Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago O’Hare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by gateH15

locals only eat at Lou’s or Pequods😉 Uno’s or Due’s are for toursists
Alright then, a fact finding mission is in order...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United

locals only eat at Lou’s or Pequods😉 Uno’s or Due’s are for toursists
Locals are missing out on the best then.

They both are great, but are completely different 'styles' if you will. I'd eat either in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by Snuggs
Alright then, a fact finding mission is in order...
Yes! This should be a flyertalk meetup so there are enough samples and data points.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
So I just book a very tight connection. This was booked off the AA website, so I assume it's within MCT, but I'm checking with you guys as to its feasibility as I don't know ORD at all.

I'm transferring off AA1003 (STL-ORD) onto AA90 (ORD-LHR). The former is scheduled to arrive at 0825, and the latter depart at 0900. Hand baggage only. This will be on a Sunday, BTW, in case that changes how smoothly ops tend to do. I'd love your thoughts on this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Mordac
So I just book a very tight connection. This was booked off the AA website, so I assume it's within MCT, but I'm checking with you guys as to its feasibility as I don't know ORD at all.

I'm transferring off AA1003 (STL-ORD) onto AA90 (ORD-LHR). The former is scheduled to arrive at 0825, and the latter depart at 0900. Hand baggage only. This will be on a Sunday, BTW, in case that changes how smoothly ops tend to do. I'd love your thoughts on this.
very tight but doable if stl flight is on time.
Mid it’s delayed you will be on the next flight to LHR at 5pm
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond

very tight but doable if stl flight is on time.
Mid it’s delayed you will be on the next flight to LHR at 5pm
Thanks, that's about what I suspected. I'm travelling in Premium Economy, as that's all work will ordinarily pay for. What are the chances that is I miss the booked flight, they'll let me go on Monday's day flight? The whole point of booking this was to avoid a red-eye, after all (I suppose I'd also take an upgrade to J on the later flight, but don't think that's likely to be forthcoming, even as an OWE ).
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:57 am

Thanks, that's about what I suspected. I'm travelling in Premium Economy, as that's all work will ordinarily pay for. What are the chances that is I miss the booked flight, they'll let me go on Monday's day flight? The whole point of booking this was to avoid a red-eye, after all (I suppose I'd also take an upgrade to J on the later flight, but don't think that's likely to be forthcoming, even as an OWE ).
you certainly can ask and they won’t say no if there are seats available. But you will be paying for the hotel out of pocket. Also that morning flight usually has light loads so there is a high chance to be rebooked next day to PE
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:08 am

you certainly can ask and they won’t say no if there are seats available. But you will be paying for the hotel out of pocket. Also that morning flight usually has light loads so there is a high chance to be rebooked next day to PE
Thanks, yeah, I knew I'd be paying out of pocket for the hotel, but my work travel insurance will pick that up, so I'm good. Thanks again.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:30 am

On a Sunday I think you'll be fine if your travel times are earlier in the day. Is your LHR leg leaving from T5? If so, you probably do have access to the BA shuttle bus which should make it on time. Otherwise, I do see them being a bit flexible depending on what status you have and their situation with bookings. I know Mondays are silly busy, so it would make more sense to head out on Sunday.

Also, there may be weather delays that help you as there's going to be some snow that will affect things on Sunday (today). Monday the snow will be gone, but all the rebookings will make this Monday extra-busy.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by SamirD
On a Sunday I think you'll be fine if your travel times are earlier in the day. Is your LHR leg leaving from T5? If so, you probably do have access to the BA shuttle bus which should make it on time. Otherwise, I do see them being a bit flexible depending on what status you have and their situation with bookings. I know Mondays are silly busy, so it would make more sense to head out on Sunday.

Also, there may be weather delays that help you as there's going to be some snow that will affect things on Sunday (today). Monday the snow will be gone, but all the rebookings will make this Monday extra-busy.
I just checked and the ORD-LHR leg leaves from T3. That's the same terminal to which the STL-ORD leg arrives.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:42 am

I just checked and the ORD-LHR leg leaves from T3. That's the same terminal to which the STL-ORD leg arrives.
Should be golden then. Might be a brisk walk if it's the end of one concourse to the end of another, but totally doable. ^

And don't be discouraged if your flight arrives late. I've actually made mad dashes for ridiculous gaps like 5 minutes and have made it before. Just be ready to hustle if that's the case!
Mordac likes this.

Last edited by SamirD; Apr 14, 2019 at 11:44 am Reason: Don't Stop Believein'
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by SamirD
Should be golden then. Might be a brisk walk if it's the end of one concourse to the end of another, but totally doable. ^

And don't be discouraged if your flight arrives late. I've actually made mad dashes for ridiculous gaps like 5 minutes and have made it before. Just be ready to hustle if that's the case!
Thanks, I'm definitely prepared to run if necessary! Is there any point in mentioning the tight connection to the cabin crew on the earlier leg? I'm already on an aisle seat towards the forward end of MCE.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:22 pm

AA codeshare CX flight/metal departing T5.

I have Admiral's club membership, but only gold so no OW status for lounges in T5 (that I can tell).

Is it worth it/even possible to enter the T3 AC before taking the bus to T5?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by smithrh

I have Admiral's club membership, but only gold so no OW status for lounges in T5 (that I can tell).

You can pass security in T3, use the A/C and take the air side bus to T5. The problem is that you must check bags at T5 and, if you haven't done OLCI, check in there. T5 to T3 is currently by bus and mostly quite quick but it can bog down so it really depends on how long you have.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:30 pm

ORD is home base for me and the starting point for this trip, so time is whatever will make me comfortable, I guess.

I don't have a great impression of T5 so the idea of hanging out there for 90+ minutes isn't all that appealing.

If OLCI is available for an international codeshare, that would be great. I've heard about the bus being bad/untimely, but I've also heard it got quite a bit better.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by smithrh

Right, doesn't appear OW Ruby gets you entry into any T-5 lounge.
I run your plan every couple months.. Check bags in at T-5 Bus back to T-3. Seems OK that time of day. Then I check with the airside bus stand to make sure all the air side bus drivers aren't lunching at the same time. If you have to go through security in T-5 at that time of day, I've seen the lines get long. Not as bad as 4 or 5 pm... Don't know about OLCI for CX on AA code share. Never done so. Maybe someone else has experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.