Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago O’Hare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
There was talk of adding preclearance at MAN but it certainly wasn't there in August and I think they would have put out a news release if it had happened since.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
There was talk of adding preclearance at MAN but it certainly wasn't there in August and I think they would have put out a news release if it had happened since.
I've just checked on https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance and Manchester is not listed as a preclearance location. I think I'll give AA another call.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by sideswipe
Last time I flew in to ORD was July 2016 from AMS and I had to use those kiosks at immigration but then I still had to wait for a TSA agent to check everything. That probably took about 20-25 minutes.
But IF MAN has CBP preclearance like AA told apparently told you (and I don't see that on their website) you'd arrive at a domestic terminal and connect without immigration (as you did that prior to arrival) and already past TSA. I hope someone with more knowledge chimes in....
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
MAN may be a preclearance airport

I was doing some research on MAN and it looks like it is on the CBP list for new preclearance airports (link).

I found other articles as late as July 2017 indicating that this is still in the planning stages and it could take up to 5 years to implement. Since there is no preclearance this is not a legal connection and AA will make the changes for the OP without charge. I'd hang up and call again.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:59 am

AA had really cut back on their international flights out of ORD ... to the point of it being pretty pathetic. Does anyone see them resuming discontinued service or starting new destinations out of ORD anytime soon?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I was doing some research on MAN and it looks like it is on the CBP list for new preclearance airports (link).

I found other articles as late as July 2017 indicating that this is still in the planning stages and it could take up to 5 years to implement. Since there is no preclearance this is not a legal connection and AA will make the changes for the OP without charge. I'd hang up and call again.
I rang AA again and they still said that the computer shows 65 minutes is a valid connection time, but because this was an involuntary change to my flight they could look at booking me on another flight if I wasn't happy with the 65 minute connection. So they've now changed my flight so I'm going MAN-PHL and PHL-LAS with a 2h10m connection time which is much better.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by sideswipe
I rang AA again and they still said that the computer shows 65 minutes is a valid connection time, but because this was an involuntary change to my flight they could look at booking me on another flight if I wasn't happy with the 65 minute connection. So they've now changed my flight so I'm going MAN-PHL and PHL-LAS with a 2h10m connection time which is much better.

Thanks for everyone's help.
I've found that most airlines are willing to do a free adjustment after an involuntary schedule change. Especially when the change starts pushing the MCT.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
I have a 38 min connection time in ORD T3 when flying from FLL to LHR on AA with the family. Flight connects with the last (11pm) flight from Chicago to Heathrow. However, MCT is 40 mins, so worried 38 mins is a bit tight, but is on the AA published timetable and you can buy tickets on AA.com

I’m not too worried about missing the connection if the FLL flight is late, as spending a night in Chicago will not disrupt our plan too much. Presumably in the worst case AA would pick up the hotel if we missed the connection as it’s a through ticket, on a published AA timetable route?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Oil-man
I have a 38 min connection time in ORD T3 when flying from FLL to LHR on AA with the family. Flight connects with the last (11pm) flight from Chicago to Heathrow. However, MCT is 40 mins, so worried 38 mins is a bit tight, but is on the AA published timetable and you can buy tickets on AA.com

I’m not too worried about missing the connection if the FLL flight is late, as spending a night in Chicago will not disrupt our plan too much. Presumably in the worst case AA would pick up the hotel if we missed the connection as it’s a through ticket, on a published AA timetable route?
Even if you make it, I don't see how your checked luggage would make it to your flight, so at best you will get them a 1-2 days later. If you miss it, then you would need to be rebooked to the next flight that has seats for all the family members, which could be a while. I don't know about hotel voucher, they may not.
I would personally avoid this itinerary.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro

It's tight, but doable if FLL-ORD is on time. Any delay longer than 15 min or so would put you at a serious risk of missing this connection. Depending on the reason for the delay you may or may not get a hotel voucher from AA. If it's ATC or weather, all you may be entitled to is "distressed passenger" rate at a nearby hotel.

ETA: Like NK15, I would avoid it, if possible. Getting rebooked on a next-day flight is not fun: there may not be seats together, or no seats in the MCE section, or (if weather disruptions are widespread) no seats at all on non-stops next day.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
Originally Posted by nk15
I would personally avoid this itinerary.
No chance of that as it’s all booked and payed for.

Not worried about the luggage as we’ll be returning home from vacation, and there must be hundreds of permutations of getting a family of 4 back from ORD to LHR the following day should the worst happen.

This is a weekend in mid-October by the way, so definitely not peak season.

Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

Not worried about the luggage as we’ll be returning home from vacation, and there must be hundreds of permutations of getting a family of 4 back from ORD to LHR the following day should the worst happen.

So I guess sit back an enjoy the ride! The only things you can control is at least siting as close to up front as possible on the FLL flight, that would buy you a few minutes. Hopefully if you have booked this on a credit card that offers travel insurance, they will pick the hotel tab and other costs, if it happens.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:17 pm

Booked and paid for, OK. If MCT is 40 minutes, and your connection is 38 minutes, that is still not a legal connection. If you are so inclined you can call and get moved to an earlier flight at no charge. Just let the agent know of the connection being below MCT.

Even IF you make it on time, how long does it take to get off the plane from then? Boading for the LHR flight will start 7 minutes before your arrival, and close no later than 28 minutes from your scheduled arrival time, and maybe even 23 minutes.

If it weren’t the last flight out, maybe there is reason to gamble. However that’s a big risk to take.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

I wouldn't worry, as mentioned above it's tight but doable. Looking at ExpertFlyer the standard D-I MCT at ORD is 35 mins, so you're actually just above that.

And October is still a ways away, keep an eye on your itinerary as its highly likely you'll have one or more schedule changes before then, which will give you the opportunity to switch to a better connection.

Worst case there are lots of ORD-LHR options as you said, including a daytime flight the next morning, which are usually lightly loaded and would get you back the same day as planned, albeit late in the evening.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
MCT at ORD AA Domestic to AA International can be as low as 35 minutes. This is a little ridiculous IMHO.

The trouble is, there are not that many flights from FLL to ORD; the previous flight arriving 7:13pm, over 3 hours earlier.

Results from https://www.ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at ORD
Incoming airline AA
Outgoing airline AA
Flight type Domestic to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .50  1.15  1.30  1.30
OFFLINE   .50  1.15  1.30  1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-AA DI  1.15 FLT 6780 - 7099 - FLT 6100 - 6779 PDX - LHR 
AA-AA DI  1.15 FLT 7454 - 7637 - FLT 6100 - 6779 PDX - LHR 
AA-AA DI  1.00 FLT    1 - 6099 - FLT    1 - 9099 FPO - ALL 
  TRM 3  - 3  
AA-AA DI  1.00 FLT    1 - 6099 - FLT    1 - 9099 NAS - ALL 
  TRM 3  - 3  
AA-AA DI SUP   FLT    1 - 9099 - FLT    1 - 9099 
  CANADA - CANADA  
AA-AA DI   .55 FLT    1 - 6099 - FLT    1 - 6099 ALL - CUBA  
AA-AA DI  1.30 FLT    1 - 9099 - FLT 9045 - 9099 TRM 3  - 5  
  OPN    -24MAR18 
AA-AA DI  1.30 FLT    1 - 6099 - FLT 8880 - 8969 TRM 3  - 5  
AA-AA DI  2.00 FLT    1 - 9099 - FLT 7181 - 7210 TRM 3  - 5  
AA-AA DI  1.15 FLT 6100 - 8073 - FLT    1 - 6099 
  OPN    -22FEB18 
AA-AA DI  1.15 FLT    1 - 6099 - FLT 7950 - 8014 
AA-AA DI  1.30 FLT    1 - 6099 - FLT 8880 - 8969 
AA-AA DI  1.15 FLT 8314 - 9099 - FLT    1 - 6099 
AA-AA DI  1.15 FLT 6100 - 8074 - FLT    1 - 6099 
  23FEB18-INF     
AA-AA DI SUP   FLT 6100 - 9099 - FLT 6100 - 9099 
AA-AA DI  1.15 ALL  - FLT 6100 - 9099 TRM 3  - 5  
AA-AA DI   .50 EQP W   - ALL CANADA - ALL   
AA-AA DI   .55 EQP W   - ALL IRELAND - ALL   
AA-AA DI   .40 EQP W   - ALL 
AA-AA DI   .45 CANADA - ALL   
AA-AA DI   .50 IRELAND - ALL   
AA-AA DI   .35 
**-AA DI SUP   ALL  - FLT    1 - 9099 ALL - CUBA  
**-AA DI SUP   CANADA - CANADA  
AA-** DI SUP   FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.