Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago O’Hare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SK
Can anyone verify that the airside T3-T5 bus is back running again? Or maybe has recently used it?

I'll be connecting there in about 10 days. (The wiki's latest info, "Still suspended", is from April 30...).
Still suspended. No target date for restart.
KBMIFlyer and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
The TTB is still suspended. What has been restarted is the ATS rail line, which is before security.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/Ser...Pages/tbt.aspx
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:41 am

I am traveling a couple of days after labor day, and flying in Qatar Airways Business Class - arriving 2:30 PM, and have an AA connecting flight at 5:05 PM for Miami; same PNR (it is an AA award ticket, but only economy in the domestic segment).

US citizen, no global entry, traveling alone -- may request wheelchair (ankle problems flare up sometimes).

Is this a doable connection?
Does requesting a wheelchair make any positive or negative difference?

Also, I am thinking of traveling without checked baggage since QR permits two carry on items for business class; can I check one item for the domestic connection either after customs or at the gate? (if absolutely necessary, I could travel with just one carry on item and a laptop bag).

Does traveling without checked bag make a significant difference in terms of making the connection, or in terms of immigration lines (any separate lines at immigration for those with only a checked bag, but no global entry)?
Thanks in advance.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by raghu
I am traveling a couple of days after labor day, and flying in Qatar Airways Business Class - arriving 2:30 PM, and have an AA connecting flight at 5:05 PM for Miami; same PNR (it is an AA award ticket, but only economy in the domestic segment).

US citizen, no global entry, traveling alone -- may request wheelchair (ankle problems flare up sometimes).

Is this a doable connection?
Does requesting a wheelchair make any positive or negative difference?

Also, I am thinking of traveling without checked baggage since QR permits two carry on items for business class; can I check one item for the domestic connection either after customs or at the gate? (if absolutely necessary, I could travel with just one carry on item and a laptop bag).

Does traveling without checked bag make a significant difference in terms of making the connection, or in terms of immigration lines (any separate lines at immigration for those with only a checked bag, but no global entry)?
Thanks in advance.
2:35 is of course plenty of time for this, the MCT is 1:50 so you're a full 45 mins above that.

If you need a wheelchair due to your ankle issues then get one, but IME it's not going to make a significant difference in time. You might be able to cut a few lines but also might be waiting around for it or moving very slow.

Not checking any bags means you don't have to wait for luggage after immigration, you can proceed directly to the customs exit. This could save a lot of time or no time depending on the lines for immigration and how long it takes QR to offload the bags. You can then check one bag with AA at ORD if you want.

But again 2:35 is ample time even with checked bags and no GE, so really nothing to stress over.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by raghu
One of the things I've learned over the years is that wheel chair assistance usually guarantees that you will make your flight because the wheelchair agent is in communication with the gate from the time they get you to the time they drop you off. With a connection where timing may be an issue, this makes all the difference. However, there's also no guarantee you'll get assistance, so you need to have a backup plan.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:01 am

JJeffrey and SamirD, thanks.

The Wiki states as follows: "There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks"

Is the "1 stop" line still available? Also, if I have only a carry-on bag, can I use that "1 stop" line even if I do not have Global Entry?
How much does that speed you up, compared to not taking the "1 stop" line (if I have a checked bag)?
I assume the 1-stop line would be available at that time of day (around 2:30 PM).

Normally, I would assume 2.5 hours is enough, but my concern is because of having to get out of terminal, go to another terminal, and clear security again. I did it once some years ago, and it seemed to take quite a bit of time (that was when I could move quite quickly), hence my questions.
Again, thank you in advance.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Is the "1 stop" line still available? Also, if I have only a carry-on bag, can I use that "1 stop" line even if I do not have Global Entry?
How much does that speed you up, compared to not taking the "1 stop" line (if I have a checked bag)?
I assume the 1-stop line would be available at that time of day (around 2:30 PM).

Normally, I would assume 2.5 hours is enough, but my concern is because of having to get out of terminal, go to another terminal, and clear security again. I did it once some years ago, and it seemed to take quite a bit of time (that was when I could move quite quickly), hence my questions.
Again, thank you in advance.
I've had GE forever and never travel with checked bags, and the last time I arrived at ORD internationally was pre-covid so I can't comment on if the 1-stop green line is still operating or how much time it might save, if any.

The ORD int'l to domestic arrival process does take a bit longer than other airports due to the terminal change, but again with 2:35 you really have ample time. If you need a wheelchair then book one, and if you can do carry-on only then that certainly won't slow you down, but beyond that I wouldn't overthink this.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:24 pm

STL-ORD-LHR, all on AA, Arrive in ORD at 7:50 AM, depart 8:50 AM

I know it's 20 minutes above the MCT, but is this a bad idea? No checked bags.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by t325

You will be fine if on time. It could be a 15-20 minute walk between gates if you are unlucky but it's all air side.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
You will be fine if on time. It could be a 15-20 minute walk between gates if you are unlucky but it's all air side.
Great, thanks!

I might bite the bullet and pay $35 to select an MCE seat on the STL-ORD leg so at least I'm at the front of the plane and off sooner. But glad to know I'm not crazy booking this.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by t325

As long as STL-ORD is on time. If it's an E175, you'll probably have to walk from L to the end of H/K but there's no security involved.
GUWonder and SamirD like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:15 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I will be arriving on BA into terminal 5 and departing for Toronto 1:50min later. I will have a 3 year old in tow.

1) how much will I need to rush to make this work?
2) what happens if we miss it, not because the flight is delayed, but because 3 year olds just can’t walk very fast?
3] I understand I wi,l have to collect my bags and recheck them. Will there be baggage trollies at that point? I don’t know how else I will be able to carry everything (travelling alone with kid)
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ziz
I will be arriving on BA into terminal 5 and departing for Toronto 1:50min later. I will have a 3 year old in tow.

1) how much will I need to rush to make this work?
2) what happens if we miss it, not because the flight is delayed, but because 3 year olds just can’t walk very fast?
3] I understand I wi,l have to collect my bags and recheck them. Will there be baggage trollies at that point? I don’t know how else I will be able to carry everything (travelling alone with kid)
1. The issue really comes down to how long you are stuck clearing immigration/passport control to get to the baggage belts. Some people are taking hours to be cleared to proceed into the international baggage claim area at ORD. Not sure if BA/AA are yet again doing the "fast connect" thing at ORD, but if not and the lines for immigration are slow, then it's possible to miss flights with a sub-120 minute connection. And other than the hassle of CBP entrance formalities, then there are the possible TSA security lines at the terminal for your ORD-YYZ flight, and then the walk/run to the gate.

2. If you miss the ORD-YYZ flight and its on the same ticketed PNR, the airline will likely re-book you or place you on standby for the first next available flight operated by the same carrier as for the flight missed.

3. The international baggage belt area has lots of free luggage carts to use. The carts aren't allowed onto the ATS train to go from Terminal 5 to the other terminals, but hopefully you should be able to check-in or drop off tagged luggage at T5 before exiting into the public land-side area at T5, so then you hopefully won't need the baggage cart land-side.

Have you looked into one of those back baby carriers? Baby Beco has some carriers that can even be used to carry 55-60 pound children on the back. It's unlikely your three-year old weighs even close to the limit for some of those body carriers to transport toddlers/young children -- but then it depends on how strong you are and how willing the kid is to go into the contraption without throwing a conniption. Try it out with the child first before even thinking about counting on such a carrier for the child. If you can pull off getting a stroller gate-checked-for-gate-delivery -- or, perhaps better yet, a stroller you can take into the cabin -- you will be doing yourself a favor by making your life easier. Something like this, which is not cheap but sometimes available for sale at a lower price as a used item: https://www.babyhuys.com/en/brands/b...yABEgKqtfD_BwE
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 11, 2022 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:33 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Thank you. By way of update, we did not make it. The plane arrived on time at 1:10 and by 1:30 we were in the immigration hall. The wait for immigration was about 30-40min and then another few minutes waiting for the bags to come. We went through customs (another queue) and then to the recheck desk at about where we were scanned and there was some discussion amongs them about whether or not we should be let through or not because we only had 20min til boarding. SHe said if we ran we might make it (though probably not she said), but our bags wouldn't. I needed the bags since we were overnighting in Toronto before continuing onwards so we were rebooked for the next morning. She offered a flight at 8:45 that evening (6h later) but because that would be 2:45am departure for a 3 year I opted to pay for a hotel. Just as well since he fell asleep at 5:45pm! Annoyingly, we won't be eligible for EU261 compensation even though we would have been 6h late even if we'd accepted the same day rebooking because there was no flight delay. But I think that the airlines should not be booking connections that are impossible to make. I rushed us through each point and my son was in the stroller the whole time so our time through wasn't related to toddler slowness.
SamirD likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ziz
But I think that the airlines should not be booking connections that are impossible to make. I rushed us through each point and my son was in the stroller the whole time so our time through wasn't related to toddler slowness.
The problem is that for most people on most days that is a viable connection and they should be able to book it. I don't know what their threshold is but AA flag short but legal connections as a suggestion that you should think about it. People on FT have ideas about sensible as opposed to allowed connections and there are discussions about it. In your case you would probably have had to choose the next day connection unless there is another airline you could have used and, as luck would have it, you found space. It is unfortunate that the slick connection didn't work but at least you could afford to pay for a hotel.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.