Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago O’Hare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This sounds "fun".......NOT

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...hoo&yptr=yahoo
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Well, it's almost that bad. The article didn't mention there is a way to walk to terminal 3 from terminal 5. Maybe not ideal, but maybe on par with a bad bus experience.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Looking forward to hearing how it goes! Thanks!
checked bags in at T-5 for CX hkg. Took bus back around to T-3. No issues in entering T-3, and enjoyed the flagship lounge.

At K-20, was advised that since all (3) bus drivers were eating lunch, the next bus was in about an hour. Great. Back thru T-3 to the landside bus, over to T-5, thru security ( which of course lacks tsa-pre style expedited screening), and over to CX (BA) F lounge. Ignored the ‘CX F flyers go elsewhere’ sign to find an empty lounge.

All in all a good experience, even given the lack of train service. Shocked at the apperent lack of dependability of the airside bus. I’ll probably not suggest anyone depend on it with a close connection.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Snuggs

checked bags in at T-5 for CX hkg. Took bus back around to T-3. No issues in entering T-3, and enjoyed the flagship lounge.

At K-20, was advised that since all (3) bus drivers were eating lunch, the next bus was in about an hour. Great. Back thru T-3 to the landside bus, over to T-5, thru security ( which of course lacks tsa-pre style expedited screening), and over to CX (BA) F lounge. Ignored the ‘CX F flyers go elsewhere’ sign to find an empty lounge.

All in all a good experience, even given the lack of train service. Shocked at the apperent lack of dependability of the airside bus. I’ll probably not suggest anyone depend on it with a close connection.
I believe there is a beak 14:00 to 14:30. See post 81 in this thread.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I believe there is a beak 14:00 to 14:30. See post 81 in this thread.
30 mins and 60 mins is quite a difference. I stand by my comment that the service lacks dependability. I was there at 14:15, and was told what I was told. Begs the question... in what alternative dimension would even a 30 min service shutdown be acceptable? It would seem unlikely that the decision is customer driven.

Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Snuggs

30 mins and 60 mins is quite a difference. I stand by my comment that the service lacks dependability. I was there at 14:15, and was told what I was told. Begs the question... in what alternative dimension would even a 30 min service shutdown be acceptable? It would seem unlikely that the decision is customer driven.

Please post your experience on that thread. The poster ords works in ORD management and will look into it.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
How does everyone feel with a 40 min connection at ORD?

I'm looking at AUS-ORD-DTW, arriving 9:40pm, leaving 10pm. Mainline (B737) to express (CRJ-700). It looks like the last flight of the day.
The AA site says the AUS-ORD flight is on-time 72% of the time.
How long would it take to get between mainline and express gates?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
How does everyone feel with a 40 min connection at ORD?

I'm looking at AUS-ORD-DTW, arriving 9:40pm, leaving 10pm. Mainline (B737) to express (CRJ-700). It looks like the last flight of the day.
The AA site says the AUS-ORD flight is on-time 72% of the time.
How long would it take to get between mainline and express gates?
At present neither flight is on mainline equipment but you haven't revealed your travel date. The worst case for this would be getting between L and G gates which could be up to a 20 minute walk, though likely less. One flight might use an H/K gate which is a shorter walk. Mainline mostly use H/K but can use L, likewise the smaller jets mostly use G/L but may use some H/K gates. So the answer is that if your incoming flight is on time and you get off quickly and walk fast then you will probably make it. Any incoming delay and any eagerness by the GA to get the DTW flight off and you won't.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by MADPhil
At present neither flight is on mainline equipment but you haven't revealed your travel date. The worst case for this would be getting between L and G gates which could be up to a 20 minute walk, though likely less. One flight might use an H/K gate which is a shorter walk. Mainline mostly use H/K but can use L, likewise the smaller jets mostly use G/L but may use some H/K gates. So the answer is that if your incoming flight is on time and you get off quickly and walk fast then you will probably make it. Any incoming delay and any eagerness by the GA to get the DTW flight off and you won't.
Thanks for the quick reply! Travel is in mid-August.

There's a similar option going through DFW, with just over an hour connection, for $40 more. I think I'll go that route instead. At least I've been to DFW many times and mostly know my way around.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by aztimm
Thanks for the quick reply! Travel is in mid-August.

There's a similar option going through DFW, with just over an hour connection, for $40 more. I think I'll go that route instead. At least I've been to DFW many times and mostly know my way around.
I will say that if you're mobile, ORD is easier to navigate -- no Skylink to go between terminals, just a bit of walking. I would guess that on average, at a brisk walk, your connection would take 10 minutes.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Anyone else notice the new look and layout of flight info on the GIDS (the ones actually at the gate)?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:41 am
bcx

If I'm arriving into T5 and flying out of T3, what's the REAL MCT with checked baggage and a toddler?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Anyone else notice the new look and layout of flight info on the GIDS (the ones actually at the gate)?
Threads and photos elsewhere.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by bcx
If I'm arriving into T5 and flying out of T3, what's the REAL MCT with checked baggage and a toddler?
I'm not sure what complications the toddler adds but if you can't use GE but can use APC then that part can be quicker than baggage return. If you are stuck with a manual passport check then it can be quite long but it all depends on when you arrive and what else arrived just before you. Baggage can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes. I'm not sure how well the bus system is working at present but say 20 minutes to be safe. T3 security will depend on whether you can use Pre-Check and when you arrive but normally no more than 30 minutes to be safe. The walk after that will depend on which gate and how fast the toddler toddles but could be up to twenty minutes. It looks like a couple of hours might do. You could still be in a rush or have time on your hands. The risk level is lower if there is a later flight with seats as AA will put you on it.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by bcx
Agree with MADPhil. With checked baggage and a toddler, two hours would be my minimum.

There are so many variables:
- Immigration backups. What time of day does your flight arrive? How many other flights arrive during your window of arrival?
- Do you have GE?
- Priority bags? Baggage claim can take 45 minutes.
- Even Customs checkout lines can get really long if a lot of flights are spitting out passengers and luggage at the same time.
- Bus chaos from T5 to T3 (the people-mover used to take 5 minutes from T5 - T3)
- Do you have Pre-check? While regular TSA security can take 30 minutes on a normal day, even Pre-check can take 15 - 20 minutes.
- T3 Departure gate? If you're leaving from any of the H, K, or G gates above number 12, say, they're another 15 minute walk from security.

And if everything works against you, 2 hours could be tight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.