Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago OHare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by swingaling
If you have checked bags, then it's 100% not possible because they won't through check.

Without checked bags, it takes 10-15min to clear immigration and customs (with GE and assuming no delays). Then get to the tram and wait up to 5min for it to arrive, followed by a 5min tram ride to T3. Then get yourself to departures and go through security, which will take 10-15min (or more) even with Pre-Check. And finally walking/running to your gate, taking another 5-10min+ depending.

So at a minimum it will take 30-40min to get to the onward flight, but it could easily take 60-70min+. Ultimately your call, but I wouldn't attempt that connection.

FWIW, I just flew into T5 last week on AA flying J. It took me a solid 30-40min to get to T3 -- with GE, Pre-Check and no checked bags.
Thanks for the advice. You're probably right as it is a foolhardy plan and I'll just get a cash ticket home.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by sempervivum
I just booked an itinerary over the phone, but I'm fairly sure it is going to be denied for the MCT. It's NRT-ORD (JL arrive T5) at 8:30AM ORD-DAY (depart T3) at 9:27AM ...regardless of getting off in F/J, with GE/precheck, it's not sane nor doable, right?
AA has multiple flights ORD-DAY. Why not book a later one? Obviously, you are aware of that possibility, so what am I missing here?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
AA has multiple flights ORD-DAY. Why not book a later one? Obviously, you are aware of that possibility, so what am I missing here?
sadly no milesaaver availability (this is thanksgiving week)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:45 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by sempervivum
sadly no milesaaver availability (this is thanksgiving week)
OK, an award ticket! I think you can go ahead and book the tight connection. If you misconnect, AA will protect you in a later flight. Cabin and seat are less sure, but it is a short flight. Good luck.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premiere, United Premiere, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Now that my trip is complete, I wanted to weigh in on my experience. Earlier in September I used a Swiss boarding pass (departing terminal 5) to enter security at Terminal 1 so I could check out the Polaris lounge. The lounge was incredible and I highly recommend it. I then walked over to G in Terminal 3 and caught the bus from G17. They take a break from about 2-245 for their shift change/lunch. We caught it around 1:40 and had just missed one. We waited maybe 10 minutes max. They stated any passenger using Terminal 5 can use the bus. Definitely is not limited to American Airlines passengers or One World.

Polaris lounge attendant tried telling us we might be denied but we decided to try it anyway and it was a terrific experience. The bus ride provides great views of all the airplanes on the tarmac! Highly recommend.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
If arriving into ORD T3 on AA domestic in J and connecting to BA F from T5, can we use the Flagship Lounge in T3 as OWE members? Its a much better lounge than BAs offering in T5.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom139
If arriving into ORD T3 on AA domestic in J and connecting to BA F from T5, can we use the Flagship Lounge in T3 as OWE members? Its a much better lounge than BAs offering in T5.
Yes, you will have access to the Flagship lounge in T3 based on your same-day departure in BA F (international long-haul).
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tom139
I did that just after it opened, in part to see how good it was. It is very good! Under the new rules J/Sapphire also gets you in. I dined in what was to have been the FC dining until AA realised that they had no more international FC out of ORD so it is now just a nice dining alcove near the buffet. I actually arrived by land, checked in with BA in T5 and took the transit to T3. I used the new shuttle to return airside. As a bonus TSA seemed to be running a special on Pre-Check for everyone at T3!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MADPhil
As a bonus TSA seemed to be running a special on Pre-Check for everyone at T3!
Every time I've experienced the TSA's "PreCheck for All" it has been a total disaster. When they have dedicated lanes for each, some will complain that the Precheck line is longer, but it moves faster because those passengers are generally more familiar with the process and have less unpacking/undressing to do. Every time I'm flying out of DFW E, they're doing that, and it's a painfully slow moving line because none of the Spirit pax have any idea what they're doing
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by captaink
Every time I've experienced the TSA's "PreCheck for All" it has been a total disaster. When they have dedicated lanes for each, some will complain that the Precheck line is longer, but it moves faster because those passengers are generally more familiar with the process and have less unpacking/undressing to do. Every time I'm flying out of DFW E, they're doing that, and it's a painfully slow moving line because none of the Spirit pax have any idea what they're doing
My experience of it was essentially all AA pax late on a Monday afternoon and it went very well. TSA people were telling people what not to do and people seemed to have no trouble not doing things. I didn't have Pre-Check on a BA BP and the regular stream was at least as fast as Pre-Check.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is 40 minutes still the MCT for ORD?

I'm flying MCI-ORD-CDG on Christmas Day. Recent flight changes left me with a 39-minute connection.

I'm not terribly worried about it...I'm guessing it'll be connecting from one lightly-loaded flight to another, and we may even be 15-20 minutes early, but still: I found it odd that AA didn't auto-rebook me to a flight that departed MCI 90 minutes earlier. (I would have been fine with that as well.)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:11 pm

**Obligatory I searched but couldn't find much disclaimer**

I have a long all domestic segment layover in ORD upcoming. I'd like to know if I can get to T5 to use my priority pass membership. The AF and Swissport lounges on prioritypass.com say " International flights from T5 only." I don't mind weird machinations on busses or trains to get there. I'll have plenty of time to kill.

What does this mean exactly? Will ORD security turn me away at T5 screening? Or if I make it there will the lounges turn me away with a domestic only itin?

thanks all
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by rhg247

I have a long all domestic segment layover in ORD upcoming. I'd like to know if I can get to T5 to use my priority pass membership. The AF and Swissport lounges on prioritypass.com say " International flights from T5 only." I don't mind weird machinations on busses or trains to get there. I'll have plenty of time to kill.

What does this mean exactly? Will ORD security turn me away at T5 screening? Or if I make it there will the lounges turn me away with a domestic only itin?

thanks all
Both of those lounges are really lousy and the AF lounge will often refuse you stating they are full. You would be much better off seeing if you can get guested into Admirals Club (or United Club as it is easy to get to T1 or T2).
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06
Both of those lounges are really lousy and the AF lounge will often refuse you stating they are full. You would be much better off seeing if you can get guested into Admirals Club (or United Club as it is easy to get to T1 or T2).
So you're saying there's a chance!
smitty06 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by rhg247

thanks all
Sorry, realizing that I just gave an opinion and did not answer your question. There is both a pre and post security shuttle you can take between terminals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.