Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Miles on BA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Earning Miles on BA

Hello Everyone,

This is my first Flyertalk post. I've read this site for years, but this is the first time for me to actually post a question. Its a multi-part question, so please be patient with me.

I am considering doing a mileage run to Bangalore, India from LAX on BA Thanksgiving weekend. As far as I can tell, this is the furthest I can go in Premium Economy (I'm 6' 7", so I don't want to do coach for this "fun" trip) from L.A. I also have some friends there, since I've been a few times for work. Since I am flying BA for the first time, here are my multiple questions:

1) Will all 20,000 miles count towards my Elite qualification? (This would put me where I need to be for Exec Plat) Is there any other bonus I would get towards Elite qualification for the additional class of service beyond coach?

2) Is there any chance I will be upgraded to business (paid or free) on any of these flights, since I will be providing my AA number (currently Plat) instead of a BA avios account?

3) Are there any more ridiculous city pairs I should consider. I realize this is more of a mileage run type question, so apologies in advance.

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to read this, and providing any insight/advice you may have.

Sincerely,

Big Doug
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Welcome Big Doug and congrats on your first post!

Taking the upgrade point, BA are not well known for upgrades. They do operational upgrades if cabins are oversold and the World Traveler Plus cabin is a pretty small cabin, so there is a chance of an operational upgrade, but I wouldn't bet on it happening.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
1) yes plus you get a 10% class of service bonus for redemption miles
2) upgrades on BA are a bit of a mystery and operational ones are not guaranteed. However WT+ to business is one of the most common because the cabin is so small. I wouldn't count on it (status anecdotally tends to count against you because BA likes to give people a 'taste' if they haven't flown in premium before). BA do sell upgrades at the airport. From my experience you should have no trouble buying one in India (there's a thread on so-called AUP on the BA forum with pricing).
3) well BA do fly to SYD which would be fairly ridiculous from LA but give about 32,000 miles.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I've booked BA WT+ for a single round-trip as EXP and I did get upgraded to Club for one of the legs.

Never had an upgrade from Economy or Club on any of my other BA bookings.

Grain of salt...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.