Going 10-abreast on 772 MCE

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 9, 15, 6:37 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
American Boeing 777-200 Retrofit Going to MCE 10 Across

Effective December 2015, American Airlines 777-223ERs will have their Main Cabin Extra installed 3-4-3 accross, not 3-3-3 on the five early retrofits and the 777-323ER / 77W.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 5, 15, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Going 10-abreast on 772 MCE

Looks like the first flight has been loaded for this config. MIA-CDG on 20-December has the 3-4-3 MCE layout in the GDS.

Not really a surprise that this happened; it was long rumored to be on the horizon. But now there's a date and a route to go with the rumor.
n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Oct 5, 15, 2:05 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Could mean the 260-seat 772 and 77W will likely be changed to 10-across in MCE as well.
Old Oct 5, 15, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
That sounds really tight to me, no?
Old Oct 5, 15, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Looks like the first flight has been loaded for this config. .
The retrofit planes have been flying for a while, at least since the beginning of the year, though in very limited numbers due to the slow rate and pace of the retrofit attributable (I believe) to the seat issues with Zodiac.

Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
Could mean the 260-seat 772 and 77W will likely be changed to 10-across in MCE as well.
MCE in the retrofit 772 is 9-across, as are the first few rows of non-MCE. 10-abreast non-MCE seating starts behind doors 3L/3R. Look on aa.com at AA908 (EZE-MIA) tonight (October 5) for an example of the seat map.

Last edited by ty97; Oct 5, 15 at 4:52 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 5, 15, 6:12 pm

that sounds brutal... now all the folks just complaining about EK was the only one to do it can calm down... however this aint the direction I want airlines to move in, esp my beloved AA (as far as legacy carriers go.)
Old Oct 5, 15, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97 View Post
The retrofit planes have been flying for a while, at least since the beginning of the year, though in very limited numbers due to the slow rate and pace of the retrofit attributable (I believe) to the seat issues with Zodiac.
But those are 9-across, not 10-across, in MCE. This is yet another config which will be 10-across in MCE (and non-MCE, obviously). And it is not flying yet. The first flight loaded as such in the system is the one referenced above.

MCE in the retrofit 772 is 9-across, as are the first few rows of non-MCE. 10-abreast non-MCE seating starts behind doors 3L/3R. Look on aa.com at AA908 (EZE-MIA) tonight (October 5) for an example of the seat map.
That is a different configuration. The one in the image above and which starts flying in December is 10-across throughout Y, not just behind 3L/R.
Old Oct 5, 15, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT

You're thinking about the (current) High-J 77D, OP is talking about the new Low-J 77D.
Old Oct 5, 15, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Totally unacceptable and uncivilized.
Old Oct 6, 15, 1:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
That's an aircraft I won't fly on.

Low J so reduced chances of an upgrade and high density even in MCE so no acceptable seats at all from my perspective.

I hope it will not go onto the routes I use, but if it does then I'll be flying on another airline for sure...
Old Oct 6, 15, 4:48 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
That's an aircraft I won't fly on.

Low J so reduced chances of an upgrade and high density even in MCE so no acceptable seats at all from my perspective.

I hope it will not go onto the routes I use, but if it does then I'll be flying on another airline for sure...
There will be be 34 Low-J 772s vs 13 high-J planes. The chances of getting one will be pretty high if choosing to fly AA.
Old Oct 6, 15, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Djokison View Post
There will be be 34 Low-J 772s vs 13 high-J planes. The chances of getting one will be pretty high if choosing to fly AA.
That is a bit too simplistic though, add in the 77W as well and then look at the route assignments, then I'll see what my real chances are, or to be more precise, what AA's chances of retaining me as a customer are
Old Oct 6, 15, 5:26 am

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
But those are 9-across, not 10-across, in MCE. This is yet another config which will be 10-across in MCE (and non-MCE, obviously). And it is not flying yet. The first flight loaded as such in the system is the one referenced above.

That is a different configuration. The one in the image above and which starts flying in December is 10-across throughout Y, not just behind 3L/R.
Ugh, I misunderstood that. Totally crappy move by AA and yet another reason to question why I am loyal to them.
Old Oct 6, 15, 5:36 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Plenty of other carriers operate 10-abreast 777s, I don't get people's outrage here. Extra seats allow AA to reduce CASM and earn more revenue, makes perfect sense to me.
Old Oct 6, 15, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
Plenty of other carriers operate 10-abreast 777s, I don't get people's outrage here.
And plenty of other carriers (including both of AA's primary US-based competitors) don't. Making the rational decision to choose one of those carriers over AA doesn't count as "outrage," IMO.
Old Oct 6, 15, 6:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec
So what's the point of MCE then? +2in legroom, and that's it?

Search this Thread