Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Boeing 777-200 Retrofit Going to MCE 10 Across

Effective December 2015, American Airlines 777-223ERs will have their Main Cabin Extra installed 3-4-3 accross, not 3-3-3 on the five early retrofits and the 777-323ER / 77W.
Print Wikipost

Going 10-abreast on 772 MCE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reeg2
Doesn't the carrier choose the seating?
Yes.
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've read a few articles about Airbus (the XWB, IIRC) being specifically built to allow 18in wide seats, even at the full density.
Depends on how one defines "full density." The A350 will support 18" wide seats at 9-abreast but can also be configured in 10-abreast at less than 18" width.

Originally Posted by vhrum
These 10-across 772s are no longer considered to have MCE?
Sure they do. It is just a more cramped space than on the 9-abreast MCE versions.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by vhrum
These 10-across 772s are no longer considered to have MCE?
It will be Main Cabin Ex

Seat can't fit the 'tra'

Last edited by ty97; Oct 6, 2015 at 5:29 pm Reason: spelling (as usual)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
I will be Main Cabin Ex

Seat can't fit the 'tra'
+1 HA. MCE becomes pointless at 10X. Ouch
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
+1 HA. MCE becomes pointless at 10X. Ouch
I still like the extra leg room. And the slightly better chance at an empty adjacent seat doesn't suck, though that remains rare.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
...so basically it's a bigger version of the 788? I want my airline back.

Let's try to understand Parker's reasoning:

International load factors and fares are falling... so lets add more seats to leave empty as passengers pay a premium to fly other airlines. If he's been paid a dime since he agreed to stock contingent compensation, he's ripping off shareholders.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
...so basically it's a bigger version of the 788? I want my airline back.

Let's try to understand Parker's reasoning:

International load factors and fares are falling... so lets add more seats to leave empty as passengers pay a premium to fly other airlines. If he's been paid a dime since he agreed to stock contingent compensation, he's ripping off shareholders.
Bolding mine.

Old management (pre-bankruptcy) set the LOPA for the 77W and it is 3-4-3. They also did the 8F 319 people whine incessantly about on here. Maybe I'm just small frame, but I have no trouble sitting in a standard Y seat on the 319 (haven't had the opportunity yet to experience Y or MCE on the 77W).

Increased seating density through slimline seats is nothing new and was embraced by old AA long before bankruptcy and the merger. You weren't around here, but back in 2008/2009 people went on and on about the slimline 73D (new 738 configuration) Weber articulating seats compared to the old 16F/132Y 738 Recaro seating.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Old management (pre-bankruptcy) set the LOPA for the 77W and it is 3-4-3. They also did the 8F 319 people whine incessantly about on here.
Excellent points. Few other examples as well.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Bolding mine.

Old management (pre-bankruptcy) set the LOPA for the 77W and it is 3-4-3. They also did the 8F 319 people whine incessantly about on here. Maybe I'm just small frame, but I have no trouble sitting in a standard Y seat on the 319 (haven't had the opportunity yet to experience Y or MCE on the 77W).

Increased seating density through slimline seats is nothing new and was embraced by old AA long before bankruptcy and the merger. You weren't around here, but back in 2008/2009 people went on and on about the slimline 73D (new 738 configuration) Weber articulating seats compared to the old 16F/132Y 738 Recaro seating.
But, they also put in 3-3-3 for MCE on the 77W.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
They might as well do away with lie flat J at this point. I mean... it's a premium product that they charge more for.. but let's downgrade it a little to make more money at the expense of comfort.

That's the thought process here for MCE, so why not apply it to J as well? And lawn chairs in F while you're at it....
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Wishful thinking most likely on my part... but I was looking at AA.com and EF and neither show the new config loaded for AA62 in December. Is there a lag time for that or is something else going on?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
They might as well do away with lie flat J at this point. I mean... it's a premium product that they charge more for.. but let's downgrade it a little to make more money at the expense of comfort.

That's the thought process here for MCE, so why not apply it to J as well? And lawn chairs in F while you're at it....
MCE is simply economy class - it is not another class of travel

AA states the benefits of MCE as

Enjoy more space to work or stretch out with Main Cabin Extra seating. Toward the front of the Main Cabin and available on most flights, seats start at $20. Main Cabin Extra offers:

Originally Posted by aa.com
Main Cabin Extra offers:
◾Up to six inches of additional legroom
◾Group 1 boarding so you can be among the first to board and store your bag
◾An earlier exit off of the plane when you land
It doesn't suggest that it is anything other than a section with extra legroom. There is nothing to suggest that with a new layout that this will have changed

If AA felt that competitively it could make a better margin with reducing the business and 1st products , maybe it would - however it is more likely that it would simply lose customers

with the seating in economy, I suspect that AA reckons that any loss of passenger will be more than offset by the extra 11% of seats which it can sell in the MCE section
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:07 pm

Plenty of other carriers operate 10-abreast 777s, I don't get people's outrage here. Extra seats allow AA to reduce CASM and earn more revenue, makes perfect sense to me.
AA wanting you to pay them money to transport you long distances in ever-more uncomfortable seating arrangements is worth some amount of outrage, especially when they're doing with the reasonably priced, but decently comfortable premium alternative.

As for earning more revenue, maybe that will work out for AA. They're just not getting any from me on these planes. I try to vote with my wallet and am willing to pay more for some amount of comfort when traveling. I'm reasonably loyal to AA, but this is an example of the sort of thing that pushes me to just choose the most reasonably priced option that provides sufficient comfort, regardless of the carrier.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveladam
Wishful thinking most likely on my part... but I was looking at AA.com and EF and neither show the new config loaded for AA62 in December. Is there a lag time for that or is something else going on?
When in December are you looking? I'm still seeing it loaded for 20 Dec - 4 Jan currently. When I checked AA before it wasn't showing seat maps at all for the flights. Didn't try again today.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
When in December are you looking? I'm still seeing it loaded for 20 Dec - 4 Jan currently. When I checked AA before it wasn't showing seat maps at all for the flights. Didn't try again today.
I definitely see it loaded in EF as a '772' on the dates you specify which is in contrast to the '777' code that EF reflect for both the high-J retrofit (e.g. AA908 tonight) and the non-retrofit planes (e.g. AA 61 tomorrow). New seat map for the 772 low J config still is not working on aa.com.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jordyn
I'm reasonably loyal to AA, but this is an example of the sort of thing that pushes me to just choose the most reasonably priced option that provides sufficient comfort, regardless of the carrier.
Agreed. I've been happy to pay 30-40% extra for BA/JL premium economy because it's a significantly better product. AA's current 77W MCE is worth a few extra bucks over another carrier's standard Y. 10-across coach with 3 extra inches of legroom is a joke of a "premium" product and I'm not paying for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.