Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Old May 8, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akarneboge
NOTE: There are only twenty (20) Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") in the AA fleet.
Print Wikipost

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
Yes but I can't upgrade to mint and can't pay the $2k they want for my dates (with all seats in mint still open (which I know is not the same as unsold)
I just assumed you were talking about premium cabins as this downgrade of equipment doesn't really affect the Y cabin. At any rate, VX and B6 Y both exceed AA Y, so either are a good option.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I was thinking that upgrades are possible On Alaska and therefore now or eventually VS.

if I could spring for the $2k, I'd choose Mint without further thought.

i think AAs 77W hard product is the best domestic J. 321 2 class, no where near as close.

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 16, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by cmd320
I just assumed you were talking about premium cabins as this downgrade of equipment doesn't really affect the Y cabin. At any rate, VX and B6 Y both exceed AA Y, so either are a good option.
i think MCE in a 77W is clearly better than 321 MCE, no?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE

i think AAs 7uW hard product is the best domestic J. 321 2 class, no where near as close.
Yeah, but 77W domestic J costs just as much (if not more) than Jetblue Mint.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ralphs
Yeah, but 77W domestic J costs just as much (if not more) than Jetblue Mint.
But you can upgrade into 77W J. Not possible on B6. That's the real difference causing consternation in this thread.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
But you can upgrade into 77W J. Not possible on B6. That's the real difference causing consternation in this thread.
That makes sense. What are the chances of upgrading into J on AA vs VX? And isn't VX's business offering rather weak?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ralphs
That makes sense. What are the chances of upgrading into J on AA vs VX? And isn't VX's business offering rather weak?
Can't speak to VX's offerings, but with 52 J seats on the 77W, you have a pretty good shot at C becoming available at some point and stickers working as well, depending on your status.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Can't speak to VX's offerings, but with 52 J seats on the 77W, you have a pretty good shot at C becoming available at some point and stickers working as well, depending on your status.
HofstraJet speaks the truth. With 52J seats, your chances for upgrade are good. And, every seat in the "J" house is worthy of the description "upgrade".

I'll be sad if the 77W permanently leaves the LAX-MIA route. But, glad I got to experience it as many times as I have. Nice bird that makes a 4-5 hour flight fly by......
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by jcatman
HofstraJet speaks the truth. With 52J seats, your chances for upgrade are good. And, every seat in the "J" house is worthy of the description "upgrade".

I'll be sad if the 77W permanently leaves the LAX-MIA route. But, glad I got to experience it as many times as I have. Nice bird that makes a 4-5 hour flight fly by......
It's an insanely difficult upgrade with the wait list often 30+ long, and I've seen zero clear. Miles upgrades used to be a breeze, but AA killed that this year.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:55 am

My understanding is that upgrades as an AA Plat are very unlikely.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:45 am

I was thinking that upgrades are possible On Alaska and therefore now or eventually VS.

i think AAs 7uW hard product is the best domestic J. 321 2 class, no where near as close.
Once upgrades are possible, there won't be those 55 inch F seat on VX anymore. They will be the standard 40 to 42 inch F seat, which to me are comparable to AA's domestic F.

I was looking at calendar just now.
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0&...10-15;sc=b;s=0

It looks like B6 is priced lower than VX on many days. And anything 2 months out, you can get for under $1500.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
It's an insanely difficult upgrade with the wait list often 30+ long, and I've seen zero clear. Miles upgrades used to be a breeze, but AA killed that this year.

I'm 4 for 4 making this upgrade, and two of those are from last Summer when I was Platinum. Guess I was lucky. YMMV.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by tphuang
Once upgrades are possible, there won't be those 55 inch F seat on VX anymore. They will be the standard 40 to 42 inch F seat, which to me are comparable to AA's domestic F.

I was looking at calendar just now.
https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0&...10-15;sc=b;s=0

It looks like B6 is priced lower than VX on many days. And anything 2 months out, you can get for under $1500.

most days thats only true if you take the red eye outbound from LAX. And in 3 months,mid November, its $1700, )or $2k if no red eye).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:32 am

not really

My friend who is EXP and flies LAX MIA multiple times a year has never missed an upgrade, regardless of frequency.

And even then, the roundtrip purchased F fare is routinely $1000, and I've never seen it for more than $1800, REFUNDABLE. When it's that cheap people just buy it.

QUOTE=MAH4546;28696205]It's an insanely difficult upgrade with the wait list often 30+ long, and I've seen zero clear. Miles upgrades used to be a breeze, but AA killed that this year.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jasondc
My friend who is EXP and flies LAX MIA multiple times a year has never missed an upgrade, regardless of frequency.

And even then, the roundtrip purchased F fare is routinely $1000, and I've never seen it for more than $1800, REFUNDABLE. When it's that cheap people just buy it.

QUOTE=MAH4546;28696205]It's an insanely difficult upgrade with the wait list often 30+ long, and I've seen zero clear. Miles upgrades used to be a breeze, but AA killed that this year.
[/QUOTE]

For the 77W flight? This flight is often much more expensive than the basic F flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.