Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 25, 21, 1:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: akarneboge
Wiki Link
NOTE: There are only twenty (20) Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") in the AA fleet.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 13, 15, 12:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Still not showing F seats. Looking at 20 December the flight looks busy in Business as it is, showing 3 seats left. Maybe F is just full?

I would like to fly this aircraft in F then I've tried them all.

On JFK-MIA the 77W is only selling in F, business cabin not being sold from what I can see.
JFK-SFO/LAX and MIA-LAX are the only domestic routes in the system that receive 3-class service when operated by a 3-class aircraft.

AA.com currently shows 3 seats available in F for AA1065 on December 20.
Old Oct 19, 15, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, IC Plat Amb
does anyone know when the schedules past mid jan will be loaded w/ the 77W. it seems like those flights are still showing the 772 now.
Old Oct 20, 15, 11:40 am

Anyone know which wifi service would be available on the 77W flying over the US? I'm assuming the satellite service would be available but not sure if the domestic, ground based system would also function. Also at which price point. Is there currently scheduled 77W domestic service today?

Thx
Old Oct 20, 15, 11:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer View Post
Anyone know which wifi service would be available on the 77W flying over the US? I'm assuming the satellite service would be available but not sure if the domestic, ground based system would also function. Also at which price point. Is there currently scheduled 77W domestic service today?

Thx
I don't think the 77W is fitted with the cellular-based WiFi. As for the 77W domestic service, I can't recall any other than the upcoming flight - though repositioning economics might make it possible on a few routes.
Old Oct 20, 15, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I don't think the 77W is fitted with the cellular-based WiFi. As for the 77W domestic service, I can't recall any other than the upcoming flight - though repositioning economics might make it possible on a few routes.
There were two one-off "scheduled" flights:

Following GBTA in San Diego August 2013:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-4-2013-a.html

Also DFW-JFK repositioning in May 2013:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-2013-a.html

I think there also have been at least a couple MIA-ORD-MIA turns as unscheduled swaps to replace 763 or even 757/738s. Assume it was operated 8F and 52J seats received Y service but unsure.
Old Oct 20, 15, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
I don't think the 77W is fitted with the cellular-based WiFi.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Is the "international" satellite service available over the U.S.? I suppose the technology is there, not sure if the marketing agreement (AA/Gogo/T-Mobile) and ability to sell are.

This is related to the OP as I may actually choose different connections to/from the West Coast if I can have my cake (77W) and eat it too (wifi availability).

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
There were two one-off "scheduled" flights:
AA also scheduled a one-off 77W JFK-DFW in early June of 2014 to bring in the airplane for the start of DFW-HKG service.

As alluded above, other than JFK/SFO-LAX AA policy has been to only sell F and Y on 3-cabin domestic flights (e.g. DFW-SFO/LAX). Elites in Y can generally pre-assign J seats, but the service is standard economy food and drink for sale.
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
AA also scheduled a one-off 77W JFK-DFW in early June of 2014 to bring in the airplane for the start of DFW-HKG service.

As alluded above, other than JFK/SFO-LAX AA policy has been to only sell F and Y on 3-cabin domestic flights (e.g. DFW-SFO/LAX). Elites in Y can generally pre-assign J seats, but the service is standard economy food and drink for sale.
There actually has been some inconsistency over the years back when the 762s operated and were subs for 757/763 on BOS-LAX, there were several occasions AA would sell 10F+30J=40 "F" and provide premium cabin service to all 40 pax. (Makes the most sense considering this replaced a then 22 or 30 seat cabin).

The 762 did have a scheduled run on LAX-EWR and that market was operated 10F with J sold as Y (open for elites and full fare Y pax)

But for the most part you are correct. I also have heard of 77Ws being subbed where the 52J seats were sold as F and the forward 8 new generation flagship suites were closed off.

UA OTOH sells three cabins even for routes like ORD-DEN when a three-cabin aircraft operates in said market.
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
There actually has been some inconsistency over the years back when the 762s operated and were subs for 757/763 on BOS-LAX, there were several occasions AA would sell 10F+30J=40 "F" and provide premium cabin service to all 40 pax. (Makes the most sense considering this replaced a then 22 or 30 seat cabin).

The 762 did have a scheduled run on LAX-EWR and that market was operated 10F with J sold as Y (open for elites and full fare Y pax)

But for the most part you are correct. I also have heard of 77Ws being subbed where the 52J seats were sold as F and the forward 8 new generation flagship suites were closed off.

UA OTOH sells three cabins even for routes like ORD-DEN when a three-cabin aircraft operates in said market.
Also encountered that a couple of years ago LAX-HNL when the 757 was subbed with a 762. Both cabins were treated as premium, and the F cabin seemed to be pretty much first come, first served. I was on a mileage run and noticed the A/C switch before I left ORD, so I grabbed F seats for the return also.
Old Oct 20, 15, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought. Is the "international" satellite service available over the U.S.? I suppose the technology is there, not sure if the marketing agreement (AA/Gogo/T-Mobile) and ability to sell are.

This is related to the OP as I may actually choose different connections to/from the West Coast if I can have my cake (77W) and eat it too (wifi availability).

Thanks!
Yes it will be available over continental United States. Gogo subscriptions are not applicable as this would be T-Mobile/Panasonic satellite service. The pricing of $18 for 24-hour access (unlimited bandwidth) is actually cheaper than a single flight session Gogo pass on a laptop in this market on a 738/757/32B operated flight.
Old Oct 20, 15, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP & Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globlalist
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
Add LAX-MIA to the list when it's flown by the 3-cabin B777 (not B77W).
Old Oct 20, 15, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
So when a two class aircraft operates MIA-LAX, regardless of what it is marketed/sold as, what type of service does the premium cabin receive? Business or first class? I'm referring to the transcon standard menu selections (three in business versus the four in first class) and service elements such as stemware for wine and the prolonged, multi-course meal service.
Old Oct 20, 15, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4 View Post
So when a two class aircraft operates MIA-LAX, regardless of what it is marketed/sold as, what type of service does the premium cabin receive? Business or first class? I'm referring to the transcon standard menu selections (three in business versus the four in first class) and service elements such as stemware for wine and the prolonged, multi-course meal service.
On-board service should match Business standard on 3-cabin flight, but this 2-cabin flight will market the forward cabin as "First" and use the F inventory.
Old Oct 23, 15, 2:03 pm

I've verified and its true these flights are almost full when they start in December, across both J and F cabins which is a pity as I would have liked to try it in F!

I can see the 772 service (which I believe is a non-refurb three class sold as two class) but it would mean rebooking into J class when I have a 3-class transcon fare in F I could change to the 77W.

Looks like I'm out of luck .
Old Oct 23, 15, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post

I can see the 772 service (which I believe is a non-refurb three class sold as two class) but it would mean rebooking into J class when I have a 3-class transcon fare in F I could change to the 77W.
No, it is a non-refurb 772 sold as a 3-class.

MIA-LAX gets 3-class service when a 3-class plane operates the route, without exception.

Search this Thread