Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akarneboge
NOTE: There are only twenty (20) Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") in the AA fleet.
Print Wikipost

MIA-LAX 77W / 777-300ER rotation - and service etc. discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
IMO this is still the best U.S. domestic offering, bar none. Sure certain elements of B6 may be better but FLL is less convenient for most people traveling to Dade County, and the 777 is a more spacious and airy cabin versus an A321 even with the Mint Suite.

It's just too bad the morning AA 299 is gone and the later return AA 252 and AA 1488 (this one will need a new LAA flight number) are gone. Usually there's a widebody drought here in the Northern Summer when most of the widebody capacity is used for seasonal routes and capacity increases. This has been the case for years on this route, along with other more sporadic domestic widebody flying (i.e. BOS-LAX and JFK-SAN).
Sure, the 777 is a much nicer plane (I still miss the 767 on the LAX-JFK route!), but, all things considered, I will fly Mint every time when the price difference is $500-800 (J-F) the way it is right now. FLL-Miami is an easy drive (for a Southern Californian, anyway) and the food and service on Jet Blue is superior to what we've experienced lately on AA.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by critterchick
Sure, the 777 is a much nicer plane (I still miss the 767 on the LAX-JFK route!), but, all things considered, I will fly Mint every time when the price difference is $500-800 (J-F) the way it is right now. FLL-Miami is an easy drive (for a Southern Californian, anyway) and the food and service on Jet Blue is superior to what we've experienced lately on AA.
While the conditions may not compare to that hideous parking lot known as the 405 Freeway in Southern California, Interstate 95 connecting Fort Lauderdale and Miami has become a nightmare best avoided during commute hours.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
While the conditions may not compare to that hideous parking lot known as the 405 Freeway in Southern California, Interstate 95 connecting Fort Lauderdale and Miami has become a nightmare best avoided during commute hours.

All you FLL/B6 defectors can take US-1/Federal Highway which turns into Biscayne Blvd once you pass Hallandale and hit Aventura/Dade County.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:26 pm

All you FLL/B6 defectors can take US-1/Federal Highway which turns into Biscayne Blvd once you pass Hallandale and hit Aventura/Dade County.
Awesome....going to try that strategy next month.

Do you have a workaround for the 405 in LA?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

Sepulveda?

Waze?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Fly into and out of BUR?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
LGB-FLL in B6 economy.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium

I95 or US-1 at rush hour the traffic is horrible
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by fedechat
If there aren't accidents or thunderstorms (which there often are), the pay car pool lane ameliorates things a lot.

I always fly into MIA (because of the 77W) even though FLL is closer to where I need to be (Boca Raton). It's usually only 30-45 minutes extra at rush hour, 20-30 at off hours.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ralphs
LGB-FLL in B6 economy.
I'd die
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Fly into and out of BUR?
LMAO.

At least you didn't say Ontario.....
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
True but other than the usual slowdown around Aventura Mall, it can be a viable alternative.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It looks like the 77W has now been pulled off this route for mid-November as well. I just got EF alerts that my flights on 11/10 and 11/11 for my mileage run to SJU were downgraded to a 32B. Would AA allow me to cancel the flight without penalty due to the equipment change? I know the International General Rules allow this, but the change happened on a domestic route and SJU isn't truly international.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:47 pm

Going in which direction? We take Sepulveda south to get home (Palos Verdes peninsula). Even in rush hour, it seems to take a little less time, and it is vastly more scenic one you get to Torrance.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by dciolli
It looks like the 77W has now been pulled off this route for mid-November as well. I just got EF alerts that my flights on 11/10 and 11/11 for my mileage run to SJU were downgraded to a 32B. Would AA allow me to cancel the flight without penalty due to the equipment change? I know the International General Rules allow this, but the change happened on a domestic route and SJU isn't truly international.
They usually do. I posted a copy of the rules in the thread that discusses this.

It seems like Mint is $999 during the week (no seats yet taken in the seat map fwiw).

Last edited by beachfan; Aug 7, 2017 at 9:13 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.