Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

another holiday (December) schedule change loaded, check your reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Like the subject says. Looks like some reductions, at least on the routes in my reservations, which is making finding a suitable alternative pretty challenging.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Thanks for the heads-up. In my case, a flt # change and minor time adjustments.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Thanks for the notice. For my Christmas/New Years trip, my outbound flight had a time change and my return had a time and routing change.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I just lost an hour on Christmas Eve... Thanks for the heads up, though I wish it were better news.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:26 am

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Thanks for the heads up!

I discovered a change to a PHX-PVR flight in 1st week of January where they shortened the connection time to 55 min from 2.5 hrs, despite there being a later flight available that would have maintained a 2hr connection time. I can see why a computer might do that, but I am traveling with family to vacation so definitely wanted a significant connection time cushion to avoid missing the PVR flight.

To AA's credit they changed us back to the later flight without any fees, but the weird thing is that despite AA changing the flt # and connection time of our original PHX-PVR leg I did not receive an email stating there had a been a schedule/flight# change (which I have always received in the past in similar situations on US).

This flight was originally an AA codeshare on US-iron, which makes me think that there may be some kind of a general bug in terms of getting a "schedule change" alert email associated with 10/17 switchover if your original reservation was an AA codeshare on US-iron, so if you have reservations like that you may want to reconfirm that they haven't changed.

If anyone else has a similar experience please post about it as it might be good to raise the alarm if the failure to issue a "schedule change" alert email turns out to be a systemic issue.

Anyways, thanks again for pointing this out otherwise I probably would not have noticed until it was too late to do anything about it.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Another data point: No email notifications here, but both tablet and android apps popped up schedule change notice when I opened them.

EDIT: I just got an email notification this PM. One of the flight numbers changed, departure time 6 minutes later, but connection time is now :59 instead of 1:00. A little worried about the January trip. Already a tight :50 in CLT, and no business seats available in case of misconnect.

Last edited by iplaybass; Oct 6, 2015 at 4:58 pm Reason: New information
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, we've lost the better part of a day on an already short visit (only later alternative is a one hour connection in ORD to the last flight of the day... we'll pass) and on another are down to a 40 minute connection where we'd paid extra for a 90 minute connection to be a bit more sure of making it, what with winter and all.

It's really crummy how AA advertises full schedules for the holidays and then cuts them closer in. This is the second year this has happened (I should know better for next year?). We basically got an itinerary we could have paid $150 each less for, but now that they've cut capacity, the price has gone up so no refund. And we'd switch to another carrier, but the alternatives are also now more expensive than they were at the time we bought.

Has anyone had any luck with AA CS with getting a partial refund, based on historic fares, in this case?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As to email notifications, AA tends to wait until closer to the flight to send notifications. I would suspect you would start receiving notifications in a few weeks, if you don't change anything on the reservation.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up. My transcon 738 flight got swapped to a pmUS A319. Not looking forward to this.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
This was good news for me. My outbound and return moved more than an hour, and they let me change my destination airport (MCO>PBI), pick an earlier time on the outbound, and on the return leave a whole day earlier, which was a blackout date on the companion ticket I used to purchase the original ticket.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
This was good news for me. My outbound and return moved more than an hour, and they let me change my destination airport (MCO>PBI), pick an earlier time on the outbound, and on the return leave a whole day earlier, which was a blackout date on the companion ticket I used to purchase the original ticket.
Was this the Barclay card companion cert you used?

If so, I did not have the same luck with you in regards to being able to get a blackout date after their schedule change.

I had an itin that auto-changed from a mid morning flight to a red-eye the night before. That I'm 'okay' with, but, the return ended up going from a nice 4:30 PM to a crack of dawn 7:30 AM flight (given it's returning from YYZ thus the whole US pre-clear thing for which not all of us have GE/Nexus), that implies getting to the airport by 5:30 AM latest. In other words, whole day is lost (and the night before for that matter since it wouldn't be that wise to be 'too festive' considering the early flight).

I digress, I asked if they could just move the flight to a day later, and they wouldn't budge, they said the companion cert I used is not valid for the day after. Not so much a blackout date, but, in this case day later would be Jan 1st, and, my original cert was only good till Dec 31st.

Most they would offer is change to a later flight that day, but, that switches us from non-stop to connecting.

Was offered a refund (I did not ask about that), but, was additionally told that it would only be for what I paid, I would NOT get the companion cert back or any other similar certificate/coupon.

I'm not really going to fret about it now and hope the schedule adjusts 'my way' again... but, was hoping they'd be a bit more forthcoming about changing to the day later given 9 hour difference on the return (plus the 13 hour difference on the departure for which I didn't raise concern).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:31 am

Recourse for changed legal connections?

We are three couples going to LIR 12/25-1/4, booked on US and AA when routes opened in Jan. Had a couple of slight changes already, but the 4 on the single revenue tickets (ours is award, separate tickets LIR-MIA and MIA-CLT-xxx) just had connecting flights changed to barely legal mct at MIA. Previous layover was almost 4 hrs midday, now LIR-MIA arr 11:18, and dep 1:00pm for CLT and onward.

We all got NEXUS/GE once we found out (after ticketing) the horrible rep MIA has for immigration/customs. With carryons and GE, is this not as bad a change as I imagine it to be (also it's the first Monday after the holidays)? One call was made to AA and agent told her they wouldn't change it, since mct is legal. If change in ticket was requested, she was told would be $350 change fee (since part of flight is international) plus increase in ticket cost.

Is this worth additional HUCA efforts to change, or no big deal (from those who know MIA)? Flight numbers were changed, and the first connection, MIA-CLT, had time changed from 2:35 to 1 pm, over 90 minutes. There is still coach space on the original MIA-CLT flight, which our award remains on (first class).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Was this the Barclay card companion cert you used?

If so, I did not have the same luck with you in regards to being able to get a blackout date after their schedule change.

I had an itin that auto-changed from a mid morning flight to a red-eye the night before. That I'm 'okay' with, but, the return ended up going from a nice 4:30 PM to a crack of dawn 7:30 AM flight (given it's returning from YYZ thus the whole US pre-clear thing for which not all of us have GE/Nexus), that implies getting to the airport by 5:30 AM latest. In other words, whole day is lost (and the night before for that matter since it wouldn't be that wise to be 'too festive' considering the early flight).

I digress, I asked if they could just move the flight to a day later, and they wouldn't budge, they said the companion cert I used is not valid for the day after. Not so much a blackout date, but, in this case day later would be Jan 1st, and, my original cert was only good till Dec 31st.

Most they would offer is change to a later flight that day, but, that switches us from non-stop to connecting.

Was offered a refund (I did not ask about that), but, was additionally told that it would only be for what I paid, I would NOT get the companion cert back or any other similar certificate/coupon.

I'm not really going to fret about it now and hope the schedule adjusts 'my way' again... but, was hoping they'd be a bit more forthcoming about changing to the day later given 9 hour difference on the return (plus the 13 hour difference on the departure for which I didn't raise concern).
Yes, I also had the US Airways companion ticket. I doubt most AA reps know the rules from those companion tickets. In my case a 5:50am flight was changed to 7:30am, and that was also the earliest nonstop. When I asked to change to the 8pm flight the day earlier, it seemed like a reasonable request but for the companion ticket terms. The rep didn't even need a supervisor approval. I would HUCA if I were you, you should be able to get the next nonstop after your original flight time, even if it pushes you one day (or in your case, also one year) later.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Yup - my ORD-MSY on 12/23 got changed from 7:30 to 5:00 PM, meaning I need to do something about it or miss 2 hours of work.

Edit: Argh that is literally the latest flight out, both nonstop and with a connection.

Last edited by rdurlabhji; Oct 6, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.