Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades / SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the LAX-SYD-LAX route. This flight began with three class Boeing 777-300ER, but has changed to a two class Boeing 787-9.

Inaugural flights:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 EADT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)

SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 EADT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT

General discussion of the LAX-SYD-LAX route is at:
AA to operate LAX-SYD with 77W (inaugural 17 December 2015) archived
AA LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Print Wikipost

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius
I have this booked in May with SWU wait listed.

Any experience in how early these have cleared? EXP with ~20k rolling EQD, if that helps.
I did a Wednesday departure and a Tuesday return last May also with ~20K rolling EQD at the time. We booked in early February and didn't clear or receive any EF alerts before day-of-departure. At T-0, we were no. 5/6 on LAX-SYD and no. 3/4 on SYD-LAX; neither of us cleared either route (no. 1 cleared on the outbound and no one cleared on the return).

Granted, we flew AA72 the day after Memorial Day (conveniently arriving 7am on the first workday of the week) so there was a bit more holiday traffic than usual, but still wasn't very encouraging. I've heard from colleagues and friends (EP and PPRO) that they've had better luck than me going down under, but for this Memorial Day we decided to skip the upgrade game and just book J.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by potus18
I did a Wednesday departure and a Tuesday return last May also with ~20K rolling EQD at the time. We booked in early February and didn't clear or receive any EF alerts before day-of-departure. At T-0, we were no. 5/6 on LAX-SYD and no. 3/4 on SYD-LAX; neither of us cleared either route (no. 1 cleared on the outbound and no one cleared on the return).

Granted, we flew AA72 the day after Memorial Day (conveniently arriving 7am on the first workday of the week) so there was a bit more holiday traffic than usual, but still wasn't very encouraging. I've heard from colleagues and friends (EP and PPRO) that they've had better luck than me going down under, but for this Memorial Day we decided to skip the upgrade game and just book J.
Thanks. I found a 500 USD round trip, so booked it on a whim for fun.

Outbound is J7 R7 D7 I7 with 19 open seats and the return is J7 R6 D6 I3 with 13 seats. About a month to go. So crossing my fingers.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:42 am

Outbound is J7 R7 D7 I7 with 19 open seats and the return is J7 R6 D6 I3 with 13 seats. About a month to go. So crossing my fingers.
Crossing mine for you too! 🤞
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated

Hopefully you are not on my flights! (Or, hopefully you are and we both gett the upgrade!)
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
1 seat open on the seat map tonight ... 13 person upgrade list.... will anyone get it? Will they split the couple?! Oh the drama!

It’s also a bit unfair because it’s naturally a route with high EQD (i.e., 3 SYD-N. America trips in J for work are ~$18k EQD) so you gotta be big leagues to get the top spot!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Ooh this is interesting. pax #1 and pax #4 got the magic checkmark. (pax 2 and 3 have the same surname and were looked over).
Seat map only had 1 seat available at T-120min

excluding upgrades there were 1 CK and 9 EXP in J

Last edited by shuuy; Apr 3, 2019 at 3:18 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by shuuy
Ooh this is interesting. pax #1 and pax #4 got the magic checkmark. (pax 2 and 3 have the same surname and were looked over).
Seat map only had 1 seat available at T-120min
#2 was probably offered the seat but passed as there was only 1 seat remaining and did not want to be separated from #3 . As a result, #4 got VERY lucky.
shuuy likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I have this booked in May with SWU wait listed.
Any experience in how early these have cleared? EXP with ~20k rolling EQD, if that helps.
Afraid on this route, the upgrades that clear will most likely going to be very close to departure. It all got harder once AA down gauged from the 77W
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:53 am

Hi there - EXP flying on 4/9 - have requested 4 SWUs. As of today there are 6 seats available (and one blocked). At what point does anyone think that they will release these seats for upgrades (will it be 24-48 hours prior or at the gate?). Has anyone had any experience with multiple (more than 2) SWUs being cleared? If so, at what point did they clear? Thanks so much!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bekkyboop
Hi there - EXP flying on 4/9 - have requested 4 SWUs. As of today there are 6 seats available (and one blocked). At what point does anyone think that they will release these seats for upgrades (will it be 24-48 hours prior or at the gate?). Has anyone had any experience with multiple (more than 2) SWUs being cleared? If so, at what point did they clear? Thanks so much!
You'd have to have a very high rolling EQD to be in front of the line, but if everyone is on the same PNR, it's not impossible, but definitely improbable.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:43 am

I just want to say that American's performance on this route is absolutely pathetic and has made me question staying with them long-term as an EXP. I flew this route March 10th and the flight was delayed until ~12AM or so. We boarded and sat, and sat, and sat with no announcements. I eventually get an e-mail notification on my phone saying that the flight is delayed until 9:50AM. Apparently the crew timed out, though other passengers were whispering to each other the next morning that the crew intentionally made it time out. Not sure I believe that part of it or not, but it does make you wonder how AA gives this flight less than 2 hours of buffer room for the crew to time out? I later looked on FlightAware and saw that this flight had to overnight all the passengers again on March 16th and again on March 26th. How does this airline manage to run any sort of schedule? The icing on the cake was later having to hunt down the hotel they put us at because they charged my personal card instead of the voucher.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by masamune
I just want to say that American's performance on this route is absolutely pathetic and has made me question staying with them long-term as an EXP.
Actually, AA's LAX-SYD has been doing pretty good lately, relatively speaking-- I mean it's definitely all relative, it's better than Qantas' on-time performance for the same route and no where near as good as AA's return SYD-LAX, so, maybe blame LAX.

Obviously the experience you describe absolutely stinks, but it aint data. If you feel something works better, not a reason in the world to take AA's flight, I know I wouldn't.
shuuy and GTITAN like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by bekkyboop
The blocked seat will remain blocked as it is designated as a crew rest seat. I flew out on this flight last year on April 6 and saw just one J seat released at the gate. I did have a C alert on EF as I was originally in PE until I saw the cabin fill up, so I upfared a few month out and that triggered a few hrs before departure.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I am on Flight 73 tomorrow. My miles+cash upgrade from paid PE to J just cleared... about 30 hours out. I picked 1H on the 787-9, but there other seats to choose from. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
I am on Flight 73 tomorrow. My miles+cash upgrade from paid PE to J just cleared... about 30 hours out. I picked 1H on the 787-9, but there other seats to choose from. Any suggestions?
Any of the window seats in rows 2-7 are great. Rows 1 and 8 are close to the galleys, which may be noisy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.