Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades / SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the LAX-SYD-LAX route. This flight began with three class Boeing 777-300ER, but has changed to a two class Boeing 787-9.

Inaugural flights:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 EADT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)

SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 EADT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT

General discussion of the LAX-SYD-LAX route is at:
AA to operate LAX-SYD with 77W (inaugural 17 December 2015) archived
AA LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Print Wikipost

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by JohnDCA
Concierge Keys using systemwide upgrades are VIP1. Executive Platinums using systemwide upgrades are VIP2.
thanks! That makes sense.

So, as a reference, on my flight back from SYD, they had upgraded at least 10 to 12 EXPs with SWUs, likely more than a week out. If they were upgraded closer in, then they would have had more than 35k in annual spend since I was on the list. I didnt see any VIP1s so they weren't any CKs.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Trying to pull some data... Anyone waitlisted on the 8th of Jan? I know flyertalk is a small pool of people who actually fly but never know, might find someone else on the flight.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: AA - EXP Hyatt - Globalist
I’m curious what the experts here think of my chances of getting cleared for upgrades on this route in late June/early July? I’m a new EXP and have requested the use of my SWU for me and one travel companion who has no status. Also, we are currently booked in regular economy and was curious if any EXP who haven’t received upgrades to biz if they’ve had any luck being bumped to Premium economy?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Im a new Plat and booked on LAX-SYD in Y on July 3rd this year. Called in to request being placed on upgrade list for miles + copay. Anyone have any data or anecdotes about upgrades or change in business travel over the July 4th holiday/weekend? I'll be crossing my fingers.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Looking at booking LAX-SYD-LAX in September. Any knowledge out there for this route on specific days of the week (in each direction) that are more lightly traveled and thus might have a higher chance of SWUs clearing?

Obviously domestic US it's Tues/Wed/Sat, but that varies significantly internationally depending on the route.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by mwk190
Looking at booking LAX-SYD-LAX in September. Any knowledge out there for this route on specific days of the week (in each direction) that are more lightly traveled and thus might have a higher chance of SWUs clearing?

Obviously domestic US it's Tues/Wed/Sat, but that varies significantly internationally depending on the route.
In my experience - and this is more so when there was a 3 class cabin versus a 2 (although the days shouldn't change much - the following days are better than others:

US to AU - Tuesday and Wednesday are the best options with Sunday and Monday departures next best. The reason being is that arriving (due to the essentially 2 day difference) on Thursday or Friday are not huge business travel days. When I go for business (and purchase J) I typically arrive on Sunday or Monday to maximize a full week in AU.

AU to US - Given that your departure day is the day of arrival in the US you want to again look at arriving mid-week. Leaving on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday have typically been best.

There are quite a few variable to consider here but if I was booking purely on the chance to get an upgrade I'd look at leaving the US on a Tuesday and coming home the previous Wednesday - depending on how long you want to stay. Just a few thoughts.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by WiscAZ

I'd look at leaving the US on a Tuesday and coming home the previous Wednesday - depending on how long you want to stay.
Watch out for those Morlocks as you cross the International Week LIne- they are more dangerous even than drop bears
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Watch out for those Morlocks as you cross the International Week LIne- they are more dangerous even than drop bears
HAHA yeah not sure where I was going there. I even confused myself with all that time travel talk! Sounds like an episode of that show Manifest!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is this the only AA flight to Australia now? I thought they flew from DFW also, but can’t find anything. Looking at a work trip in a few months.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by infinite97
Is this the only AA flight to Australia now? I thought they flew from DFW also, but can’t find anything. Looking at a work trip in a few months.
LAX-SYD has always been the only AA metal flight to Australia (at least since 2015 when it started). DFW-SYD etc. is all on QF metal.
tfizzle and infinite97 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:58 am

Current Data Points

Hi All,

Lots of great info from EP folks here, thanks! Wondering if anyone with lower status has had any luck with cash+miles upgrades. I’m AA gold and booked round trip in PE with Sunday departure and Saturday return in late June. Asked for cash + miles upgrades at booking, flight currently shows 7+ seats both ways but I know it’s early. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Looking for some recent info for using SWU on the LAX-SYD-LAX for EXP.

Will be most likely traveling June-Aug time frame with flexibility being my friend for the moment. Thanks for any recent previous experiences.

Cheers!!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Looking for some recent info for using SWU on the LAX-SYD-LAX for EXP.

Will be most likely traveling June-Aug time frame with flexibility being my friend for the moment. Thanks for any recent previous experiences.

Cheers!!
Tue-Wed departure, Tue-Wed return my friend. Especially during low tourist season.
Zacnlinc and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Tue-Wed departure, Tue-Wed return my friend. Especially during low tourist season.
I have a Tue/Wed departure and a Tue/Wed return in mid/late May. As a PPRO I am not at all confident I'll pull a miles + copay upgrade. But a boy can hope.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I have this booked in May with SWU wait listed.

Any experience in how early these have cleared? EXP with ~20k rolling EQD, if that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.