Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades / SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the LAX-SYD-LAX route. This flight began with three class Boeing 777-300ER, but has changed to a two class Boeing 787-9.

Inaugural flights:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 EADT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)

SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 EADT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT

General discussion of the LAX-SYD-LAX route is at:
AA to operate LAX-SYD with 77W (inaugural 17 December 2015) archived
AA LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Print Wikipost

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I was over 29K for 2017, but only 5K for 2018 at the time. I bit the bullet and booked business on the way down, but my upgrade did clear coming back. However it may have had a better chance because I had booked premium economy on the return and paid a higher total fare due to the first segment in business.... They had no sign of waitlist for upgrades at the gate and when I asked a AA person at the gate, was told that if your upgrade clears, you will find out when they scan your boarding pass to board. That is exactly how mine happened, so I did not know until the last minute.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Gold
Booked RDU-LAX-SYD in N for 5/23-6/2. I'm PLT with about 15K EQDs. Traveling with a non-status partner.

I requested an upgrade of miles+copay that I doubt will clear based on EF showing C0 for weeks now. But questions:
1. Should I have requested upgrade for the full itinerary? I only asked for LAX-SYD-LAX because I thought that would give me a better shot, especially with 2 of us.
2. I talked to an agent today who said we would only be upgraded to Prem. Econ, not to Business/First. $350 and 25K miles seems steep for PE... is it worth it?

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I am not sure on doing the upgrade for the full itinerary- I have personally not done miles + copay, I have always used the Systemwide/VIP's. I think it would suck if you asked for the whole itinerary and only the RDU-LAX segments cleared.
also not sure how far up miles+copay will get you. I did read that for the VIP's, it is currently still from economy to first. Assume that may change in the future.
Think my chances were upped as I had purchased business on the way down and therefore had a higher fare cost and booked premium econ on the way back. I was # 1 on the upgrade list, but have no idea what criteria they used for any after me, if the waitlists from econ got up to premium or not.
trinitydark likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by trinitydark
Booked RDU-LAX-SYD in N for 5/23-6/2. I'm PLT with about 15K EQDs. Traveling with a non-status partner.

I requested an upgrade of miles+copay that I doubt will clear based on EF showing C0 for weeks now. But questions:
1. Should I have requested upgrade for the full itinerary? I only asked for LAX-SYD-LAX because I thought that would give me a better shot, especially with 2 of us.
2. I talked to an agent today who said we would only be upgraded to Prem. Econ, not to Business/First. $350 and 25K miles seems steep for PE... is it worth it?

Thanks!
1) It's not unusual at all that there have not been any upgrades released, i.e. "C0 for weeks," this has no bearing on your chances. Even for a wide open business cabin its typical for AA not to release any C space until 24-48 hrs before departure, especially for a route like LAX-SYD. What do the business cabin loads look like?

2) The AAgent you spoke was grossly incorrect although its not the first time we've heard of AAgents making that mistake. Miles/Copay and SWU upgrades still go from economy to business (not premium economy).
trinitydark likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by trinitydark
2. I talked to an agent today who said we would only be upgraded to Prem. Econ, not to Business/First. $350 and 25K miles seems steep for PE... is it worth it
The agent was patently wrong. I seriously don't understand the disparity between AAgents. Some are incredibly helpful, while some are just completely clueless and make totally inaccurate statements to customers.
asf-07 and trinitydark like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finsup72
The agent was patently wrong. I seriously don't understand the disparity between AAgents. Some are incredibly helpful, while some are just completely clueless and make totally inaccurate statements to customers.
I'm so glad to know this was incorrect. It seemed wrong when she said it. Thanks for your help! I'll update as to how it turns out, but I'm not holding my breath. With only 15K rolling EQDs and PLT on such a popular flight... I at least booked us in main cabin extra with a middle seat open between us.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AA PPro
How likely are the possibility of SWU on LAX SYD or LAX MEL. I'm will need to go to Australia in 2019 and really dont' want to fly economy, but I can't stomach the 6k price for business because it would be me and my wife out of pocket.

T
Old May 25, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tfizzle
How likely are the possibility of SWU on LAX SYD or LAX MEL. I'm will need to go to Australia in 2019 and really dont' want to fly economy, but I can't stomach the 6k price for business because it would be me and my wife out of pocket.

T
Completely depends on time of year, day of week etc. Also AA doesn't fly to MEL and you can't currently use SWUs on QF. Mind you that this flight also offers Premium Economy which has a considerable amount of legroom, pitch and recline over normal economy which is a lot cheaper than business.
tfizzle likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Unless this is coming, a memo went out to the agents, and this particular agent forgot the "effective date" when dealing with this. Never know.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:59 pm

Anyone have recent experience with upgrades on AA73 LAXSYD? I'm scheduled on Aug 12, using miles/copay to upgrade as a Platinum with only about 3K EQD so far this year. Wondering how early people are getting upgraded, what status/EQD, and how early?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mykle
Anyone have recent experience with upgrades on AA73 LAXSYD? I'm scheduled on Aug 12, using miles/copay to upgrade as a Platinum with only about 3K EQD so far this year. Wondering how early people are getting upgraded, what status/EQD, and how early?
So, I requested SWU for AA73 LAX/SYD Aug 1st, returning Aug 13th. I'm EP with 9k EQD. I just called AA today to see what the status is and they told me they have 3 seats and "if" I'm upgraded it wouldn't be until I'm at the airport. So probably unlikely? Will let you know if I get them. I've been sitting on Expert Flyer refreshing the Award page all day.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Do let us know how you go. Good luck.

Originally Posted by kariannbear
So, I requested SWU for AA73 LAX/SYD Aug 1st, returning Aug 13th. I'm EP with 9k EQD. I just called AA today to see what the status is and they told me they have 3 seats and "if" I'm upgraded it wouldn't be until I'm at the airport. So probably unlikely? Will let you know if I get them. I've been sitting on Expert Flyer refreshing the Award page all day.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mykle
Flew this route in late May and requested a SWU for SYD/LAX three or four months before departure. Didn’t clear. EXP with $27k EQD, was no. 7 on the list at boarding. One of (if not the!) hardest flights to clear in the system.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:18 am

I just got an alert from ExpertFlyer that 2 J seats opened up on my return SYDLAX on 16AUG. Looked online and got an error message, which I thought was a good thing, indicating maybe the upgrade cleared but the first agent said nothing had changed and he would email my itinerary. Got the email which had no itinerary on it, so I called back and 2nd agent called help desk and said the upgrade cleared on the return. In a few minutes, I was confirmed in J on the SYDLAX flight. Still in Y on the outbound LAXSYD, but happy about the upgrade on the return.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
Do let us know how you go. Good luck.
So bad news. There are 36 people on the upgrade list. I'm 4th and there is one seat open. No go!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.