Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades / SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the LAX-SYD-LAX route. This flight began with three class Boeing 777-300ER, but has changed to a two class Boeing 787-9.

Inaugural flights:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 EADT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)

SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 EADT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT

General discussion of the LAX-SYD-LAX route is at:
AA to operate LAX-SYD with 77W (inaugural 17 December 2015) archived
AA LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (17 Dec 2015)

Was operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER to 8 Nov 2017
Changed to Boeing 787-9 in November 2017.
Print Wikipost

LAX-SYD AA 73 / 72 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: Oneworld, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by montrealchris
Unfortunately, I my SWU didn't clear for LAX-SYD today, though as we boarded, I noticed something strange on the upgrade list. The first name on the list cleared, but so did two names much further down the list (below me and others). Anyone know what this means?

What status are you? I have seen the same thing happen, although I was the lucky guy who caught the upgrade on the SYD-LAX leg, sometimes it's just who shows up on time (I RAN to the gate agent), as I have heard reports of AA agents, in an effort to board on time, going outside the strict upgrade priority rules if someone was just there and ready to go.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:59 am

I'm Executive Platinum, and was waiting at the gate for an hour prior to boarding. They didn't start processing any upgrades or calling names until at about five minutes before boarding. If they had called my name or any others above those two, I would have heard.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:02 am

I'm Executive Platinum, and was waiting at the gate for an hour prior to boarding. They didn't start processing any upgrades or calling names until at about five minutes before boarding. If they had called my name or any others above those two, I would have heard.
Do companions of a Conciege Key have priority over an individual ExecPlat?

That's the only thing I can think of - those 2 people had .... priority, but I think the order is

CK
CK + guests
EP
EP + guests
etc
etc + guests
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by denff
What status are you? I have seen the same thing happen, although I was the lucky guy who caught the upgrade on the SYD-LAX leg, sometimes it's just who shows up on time (I RAN to the gate agent), as I have heard reports of AA agents, in an effort to board on time, going outside the strict upgrade priority rules if someone was just there and ready to go.
IME it's more likely someone upgrading from J>F that are lower on the PALL list. They show up on the same list as the Y>J folks. Have seen this many times on HKG routes
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:44 am

Do companions of a Conciege Key have priority over an individual ExecPlat?

That's the only thing I can think of - those 2 people had .... priority, but I think the order is

CK
CK + guests
EP
EP + guests
etc
etc + guests
You get one companion, and they show up directly under the status member at their position on the PALL list. It'd be something like 2. SMI/J and 3. SMI/B. There needs to be two open seats for that party to clear.

If there's one seat available in that scenario they skip the two and go to 4. I've benefitted from that a few times.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Unfortunately, I my SWU didn't clear for LAX-SYD today, though as we boarded, I noticed something strange on the upgrade list. The first name on the list cleared, but so did two names much further down the list (below me and others). Anyone know what this means?
Originally Posted by lds89
IME it's more likely someone upgrading from J>F that are lower on the PALL list. They show up on the same list as the Y>J folks. Have seen this many times on HKG routes
This is what most probably happened.

Won't be an issue once they switch out from the 77W to the non-F 789. And that plane will only have 30 J seats vs. 52
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
This is what most probably happened.

Won't be an issue once they switch out from the 77W to the non-F 789. And that plane will only have 30 J seats vs. 52
See that's what really scares me. I make this flight 2x a year, and previously we sailed through the upgrade process, half the time clearing well in advance.

If exec plats are getting denied at the gate, christ - how much worse will it be on the 787.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:08 am

See that's what really scares me. I make this flight 2x a year, and previously we sailed through the upgrade process, half the time clearing well in advance.

If exec plats are getting denied at the gate, christ - how much worse will it be on the 787.
It's definitely about to be a much tougher to perhaps near impossible upgrade. 52J to 30J is going to make a huge difference, and you no longer have the 8 F seats to pull people out of J either.

Better hope they end up authorizing that JV so they can bring back the 77W and go back to expanding the Oceania route map
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC

That was my fear too. So much so, that I went the upfare route on the outbound flight just to make sure my wife (would be PPRO at time of flight) and I (PLAT) would end up in business for the start of our vacation. J is now showing about 1/3 full with i3 7 months out.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:37 pm

I wrote to AA asking why after clearing #1 on the list, they then cleared 11 & 12 (skipping #2-10). They wrote back:

"Thank you for contacting us. We know that upgrade benefits are very important to our most frequent travelers, and we are very sorry that you were not upgraded on your recent flight.

Upon reviewing the history of the flight, I have determined that there were three upgrades processed. One upgrade was an elite member and the other two were AA corporate travelers.

We value your long-standing loyalty and support and are eager to continue the relationship we have enjoyed over the years. Please be assured we are all working hard to provide the high quality service you have every right to expect when traveling on American."
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I wrote to AA asking why after clearing #1 on the list, they then cleared 11 & 12 (skipping #2-10). They wrote back:

"Thank you for contacting us. We know that upgrade benefits are very important to our most frequent travelers, and we are very sorry that you were not upgraded on your recent flight.

Upon reviewing the history of the flight, I have determined that there were three upgrades processed. One upgrade was an elite member and the other two were AA corporate travelers.

We value your long-standing loyalty and support and are eager to continue the relationship we have enjoyed over the years. Please be assured we are all working hard to provide the high quality service you have every right to expect when traveling on American."
They were positive space employees, who can go from Y up to any class of service. So they went from Y to F on that flight. Had there only been J open then whoever was on the list for J would have gotten it over them, but since they were the only two eligible to go Y to F, they got it.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
We're closing in on our 11/16 LAX-SYD and unfortunately, but as expected, the chance of our SWUs clearing keeps getting worse and worse. We're down to 5 J seats left and I notice on expert flyer an additional J seat is blocked. Does anyone know; will the new 789 operated flight always have one seat blocked for crew?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Interestingly enough I'm noticing there is 1 biz anytime award seat available (195K-250K miles) 10/30-11/2, 11/6, 11/14, 11/15...that's pretty rare on this route, right?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Interestingly enough I'm noticing there is 1 biz anytime award seat available (195K-250K miles) 10/30-11/2, 11/6, 11/14, 11/15...that's pretty rare on this route, right?
I saw lots of anytime awards available on this route from now though till May of next year when I was looking to see how far out C space was opening up. As the name suggests, they are anytime awards and will generally show if there is J availability in the cabin. It's the U bucket (business mileage saver award) that is rarer than rocking horse $#!+
AAExpDFW likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
We're closing in on our 11/16 LAX-SYD and unfortunately, but as expected, the chance of our SWUs clearing keeps getting worse and worse. We're down to 5 J seats left and I notice on expert flyer an additional J seat is blocked. Does anyone know; will the new 789 operated flight always have one seat blocked for crew?
Sorry but this flight is J1 so regardless of seats on the map, they will only sell 1 more. Coach is kinda full but I don’t see it as oversold. So I don’t see it as a cabin block but just a fully purchased cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.