Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Android App issues / problems - 2015 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

I checked in Sunday for Monday flights (XXX-DFW-XXX).

When I boarded the first segment, both boarding passes were accessible on my phone. When I got to DFW, the app said the second boarding pass could not be displayed. When I got to the gate, there was another person in the same boat. Now it was easily rectified (although it caused me to have to leave the Amex lounge earlier than I wanted to as I didn't want there to be a problem at the gate) but I can easily see situations where a disappearing BP could create some significant problems.

I've experienced various glitches with the BP on the Android app and I think it is a disaster waiting to happen. Given some of the stories of upgrades coming through but when someone gets to the gate the agent has given the upgrade away, I don't see how we can rely on electronic boarding passes.

If you've had an issue that stemmed from an electronic BP problem, please share.

First, so the rest of us can know what problems are out there and how to avoid them.

Second, because I have a naive belief that someone on AA may be listening and they can see the potential problems and fix them.

Until they do, I am getting paper BP's or taking screenshots of my electronic ones. I just don't trust the app.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JMN57
I checked in Sunday for Monday flights (XXX-DFW-XXX).

When I boarded the first segment, both boarding passes were accessible on my phone. When I got to DFW, the app said the second boarding pass could not be displayed. When I got to the gate, there was another person in the same boat. Now it was easily rectified (although it caused me to have to leave the Amex lounge earlier than I wanted to as I didn't want there to be a problem at the gate) but I can easily see situations where a disappearing BP could create some significant problems.

I've experienced various glitches with the BP on the Android app and I think it is a disaster waiting to happen. Given some of the stories of upgrades coming through but when someone gets to the gate the agent has given the upgrade away, I don't see how we can rely on electronic boarding passes.

If you've had an issue that stemmed from an electronic BP problem, please share.

First, so the rest of us can know what problems are out there and how to avoid them.

Second, because I have a naive belief that someone on AA may be listening and they can see the potential problems and fix them.

Until they do, I am getting paper BP's or taking screenshots of my electronic ones. I just don't trust the app.
I'm in the same boat -- this happened just last night on my DFW-SFO. Boarding passes come and go, especially for connecting flights -- oftentimes a boarding pass will randomly disappear and be replaced by a grayed-out "Check In" link instead -- even though I've obviously checked in to get the boarding passes that were previously there. I'll use the mobile app to get through security faster, but once through I always get a paper BP backup -- and have had to use it several times...
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:13 am

When I check in on the app, the first thing I do is take a screen shot of the boarding pass. I learned this the hard way when there was a system wide computer malfunction a few years ago and I couldn't bring up the boarding pass on the app or print a new pass at a kiosk.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:11 pm

I cannot speak for anybody else (but I would assume that app is universal for all Android Devices), but after I view a boarding pass on the app it appears under a section called Boarding Pass and it from what I can tell is an offline copy of the mobile boarding pass (I have accessed the boarding pass from that section with the phone in airplane mode and it has worked without issue).

I once took a screenshot of an AA Mobile Boarding Pass and the TSA Employee manning ID Check threw a hissy fit when he discovered that it was a screenshot and not the boarding pass accessed through the app.

He made me go back to the counter and get a paper one as he could no longer trust that I truly had a boarding pass for travel on AA that day and I was not trying to pull a fast one as and I quote, "you cannot fake a paper boarding pass issued by the airline".

So just a warning on saving a photo of your mobile boarding pass.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by kmersh
I once took a screenshot of an AA Mobile Boarding Pass and the TSA Employee manning ID Check threw a hissy fit when he discovered that it was a screenshot and not the boarding pass accessed through the app.
Most TSA agents I've dealt with want no part in touching the phone, as there's a risk of them dropping it.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

I cannot speak for anybody else (but I would assume that app is universal for all Android Devices), but after I view a boarding pass on the app it appears under a section called Boarding Pass and it from what I can tell is an offline copy of the mobile boarding pass (I have accessed the boarding pass from that section with the phone in airplane mode and it has worked without issue).

He made me go back to the counter and get a paper one as he could no longer trust that I truly had a boarding pass for travel on AA that day and I was not trying to pull a fast one as and I quote, "you cannot fake a paper boarding pass issued by the airline".

The AA twitter folks suggested it.

Generally, if I have enough time, I'm not too concerned. It's when things are tight and there is no time to get a paper BP, etc. that having a copy is helpful.

My paranoid side likes a copy.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Most TSA agents I've dealt with want no part in touching the phone, as there's a risk of them dropping it.
This particular TSA employee was asking each and every passenger with a Mobile Boarding Pass to pinch/zoom it to ensure (I am guessing) that it was not from a screen shot, but rather was from an app (which I presume does not allow pinch/zooming).
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It might be useful in troubleshooting to identify the device, version of Android, and version of the AA app people are using when experiencing a difficulty.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:56 am

The TSA Agent is an idiot--the 3D bar code is digitally signed so that it can't be tampered with.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've had the BP's disappear mid-trip during connections as well. It's extremely annoying - by far my biggest complaint about the app. Other than that, I think it works pretty well.

I've had it on multiple devices too, so I don't think it is device specific.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jordyn
The TSA Agent is an idiot--the 3D bar code is digitally signed so that it can't be tampered with.
Isn't that tautological? (that's not to say that some of them can be nice)
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA PLT
Isn't there an option in the app to save the boarding pass as an image to your phone?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
I figured as much, he got really huffy about the whole thing and when I came back with a Kiosk Boarding Pass, he said, "I thought you (me-Kmersh) were trying to pull a fast one, you know, there are people you know who just want to spend their days wandering the airside of the airport".

A good friend (who just upgraded to the Galaxy Note 5) was telling me that he had his boarding pass disappear yesterday, but he said it was still available in the boarding pass section of the "hamburger menu" on the right side of the screen within the app, just not in the reservation section.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Isn't there an option in the app to save the boarding pass as an image to your phone?
I believe that is only on the iPhone (passbook)
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:03 am

AA Android App keeps crashing

With the latest update, the AA app on my Nexus 6 has become useless. It will open, I can log in, and it says 0 upcoming flights (when I have about 5...)

When I attempt to refresh (automatically or manually in the upper right), the time updates but the app just crashes and gives me a standard android error message.

I browsed through some of the reviews on the Play store and it seems some others are experiencing the same issues, but no answers.

Any suggestions? I've tried un-installing and re-installing.

I used a paper boarding pass for the first time in months today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.