Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int値. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

AA operates out of both Terminal 2 (ticket counters, baggage check and carousels, curbside check-in, TSA, Pre-Check, Clear, Admirals Club), and gates only at Terminal 1 (linked airside, no ticket counters).

Link to AA SFO information page
Link to SFO Admirals Club Information
Link to AA SFO airport page
Link to official SFO airport page
Link to map with Terminal 2 concessions

Ticket counter: Terminal 2, Concourse D
Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 12 a.m.

Admirals Club : After security, Terminal 2 (T2), Boarding Area D (open 04:15-00:15)

Gates
Terminal 2 Concourse D: 56A, 56B, 57, 58A, 58B
Terminal 1 Concourse C: 45A, 45B, and 47
These are connected by an airside corridor above and alongside the tarmac. The Admirals Club is in Terminal 2 after security; allow 5-15 minutes to gates (C gates are farther) depending on gate and mobility.

Baggage carousels: downstairs, Terminal 2

Animal relief area: landside lower level outside baggage claim, turn right and look for dog paws.

Minimum Connect Times
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
OFFLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 1000 - 1999
OPN -15SEP16
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 4000 - 4799
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 6000 - 6999
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 8000 - 8999
AA-AS DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL
AA-AS DD 1.15
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 1000 - 1999 OPN -15SEP16
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 4000 - 4799
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 6000 - 6999
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 8000 - 8999
**-AS DD 1.15
AA-** DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL

Other nuggets of info
SFO has two runway pairs:
10L/28R 11,870 ft 3,618 m Asphalt
10R/28L 11,381 3,469 Asphalt
and
1R/19L 8,650 2,637 Asphalt
1L/19R 7,650 2,332 Asphalt

These runways were designed and built with non-standard runway separation (centerlines of the parallel runways are only 750 feet / 230 m apart) Any time weather conditions affect SFO, ATC flow control is put into effect because only one runway of each runway pair can be used. This may mean delayed arrivals (and subsequent departures) as well as diversions (usually to SJC, but may include OAK).

A useful resource with links in the Wikipost is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Print Wikipost

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int値. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Added to the Wikipost:

NOTE: Terminal 1 is under major redevelopment lasting to 2024. See current issues affecting gates through 48 here.
Thanks for the link JDiver. I was just looking for a resource to tell me if T1's B & C boarding areas were connected and it appears they are not (yet). If anyone knows this to be false and they have opened a connector between the B & C boarding areas, please let me know. Mrs Rebob flies WN a lot but has an Admirals Club membership through my Citi Executive Master Card (she has the +1 card) and it would be great if she could wait in the club due to the poor condition of the B Boarding Area..
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:15 am

FYI, all the LAX flights have been moved to T1.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Rebob
Thanks for the link JDiver. I was just looking for a resource to tell me if T1's B & C boarding areas were connected and it appears they are not (yet). If anyone knows this to be false and they have opened a connector between the B & C boarding areas, please let me know. Mrs Rebob flies WN a lot but has an Admirals Club membership through my Citi Executive Master Card (she has the +1 card) and it would be great if she could wait in the club due to the poor condition of the B Boarding Area..
I would expect it to be quite some time before they are connected. The current major airside construction appears to be north/west of the remnants of the B boarding area (so between the remnants of B and D). This opinion is not based upon any official information. It is based upon my view out the window while awaiting a WN flight on the 27th December 2017. I prefer to think of the condition of the boarding area as "nostalgic," not "poor." It doesn't hurt as much that way.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:51 pm

What is the lounge situation like in the international terminal come Feb 2018? I am doing SFO-HKG SQ F on an award flight. I hear lounges suck at SFO except for the Centurion lounge. Unfortunately, I am not an AMEX plat/cent holder. I do have PP if that makes a difference. Will I be able to guest anyone into the F lounge if there is one pending remodeling?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ShortDog
FYI, all the LAX flights have been moved to T1.
This's been a bummer. T2 is such a nice terminal. Do you know if it's permanent? Forgot to ask the agents in the club on Friday - I really hope it isn't!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by potus18
This's been a bummer. T2 is such a nice terminal. Do you know if it's permanent? Forgot to ask the agents in the club on Friday - I really hope it isn't!
The agent in the AC told me it's permanent. But not to worry - it's only a five minute walk from the AC in T2.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by sigma6
What is the lounge situation like in the international terminal come Feb 2018? I am doing SFO-HKG SQ F on an award flight. I hear lounges suck at SFO except for the Centurion lounge. Unfortunately, I am not an AMEX plat/cent holder. I do have PP if that makes a difference. Will I be able to guest anyone into the F lounge if there is one pending remodeling?
I think you're better off asking in the United forum, as an SQ ticket means you'll be using the clubs on that side of the international terminal.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:36 am

Is the AA international bag drop off just a drop off for tagged baggage or can it also be used to check in luggage? I'll be arriving on Korean and have a separate domestic ticket onward on AA. Do I ride the train with my luggage to T2 to re-check it, or can I accomplish that in the international terminal and then take the train without luggage?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lkar
Is the AA international bag drop off just a drop off for tagged baggage or can it also be used to check in luggage? I'll be arriving on Korean and have a separate domestic ticket onward on AA. Do I ride the train with my luggage to T2 to re-check it, or can I accomplish that in the international terminal and then take the train without luggage?
Not sure about the connecting bag desk (as SFO is always my destination) - but regardless, consider walking instead of taking the train. You'll have to walk through T3 (to the left) - just stay downstairs until you get to T2, then go upstairs. It will be faster (about a 10 minute brisk walk) than going up to the train, taking the train, going down from the train, then over into T2. The luggage carts are free for int'l arrivals, so if your luggage isn't on easy wheels, or you have too much, just save your cart for your walk.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:32 am

Ok, thanks -- that's good advice.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'll be flying into SFO on AA from DFW, then out on QF to MEL in a few months, on separate tickets. I have 3 hours 40 min to claim bags, re-check, and re-clear security. Barring any major issues, does that sound like enough time? I booked the AA ticket yesterday, so can cancel/rebook if needed.
It looks like AA arrives in terminal 2 and QF will go from International A.
Are these connected behind security? There are 2 of us traveling, and if we don't need to, one of us will go directly to the QF gate/lounge (looks like they contract with the AF lounge).
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by aztimm
I'll be flying into SFO on AA from DFW, then out on QF to MEL in a few months, on separate tickets. I have 3 hours 40 min to claim bags, re-check, and re-clear security. Barring any major issues, does that sound like enough time? I booked the AA ticket yesterday, so can cancel/rebook if needed.
Are these connected behind security? There are 2 of us traveling, and if we don't need to, one of us will go directly to the QF gate/lounge (looks like they contract with the AF lounge).
They are not connected behind security, you'll have to exit T2 and make your way to International Terminal Concourse A. As long as the weather is ok (and like you said, barring major issues), 3h40m should be plenty of time.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by aztimm
To reinforce rob_flies_ua's reply, 3:40 is way more than enough time.

You'll have to go landside between T2 and the International terminal, but that will only take a few minutes. You can walk, but if you have loads of stuff (aka checked bags), then it is easiest to take take the AirTrain. After you pick up your bags on the lower level - take the escalators back up to the arrivals level and then up one more level again, following signs for AirTrain/BART (there are elevators too if you have too many bags to use the escalator). When you get to the AirTrain station, take the RED line train to International A. Super easy.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Thanks @rob_flies_ua and @TheDudeAbides for the info!

I'll keep an eye on weather, runway construction, and anything else I can a few days ahead of time. We're booked in F on AA; not sure if that does anything, but if needed we can stand by for an earlier flight. Just driving up to DFW, so flexible on beginning the journey.
Old May 11, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Which terminal does AA2548 fly from?

Does anyone know what terminal AA2548 (SFO - MIA) flies from? Trying to have a look at lounges on offer.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.