Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Disappointed using AA miles award for First Class on LUS

Old Sep 17, 15, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

My sister flew using AA miles in First Class on a USAir flight. Wow, what a disappointment! At the time, first class were the only seats available with miles but still, she was looking forward to a bit of luxury and got nearly zero. Flight was non-stop from Charlotte to LAX. No TV screens! I saw a photo of the seats--nothing special there either--it really looked more like a business seat. She said at least the food was good. Plus, I was surprised there was no lounge access with first class but that's AA policy.

Is AA first class from East coast to West coast better than this?
Old Sep 17, 15, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bohemiana View Post
Is AA first class from East coast to West coast better than this?
ABSOLUTELY! Be sure to insist on the caviar appetizers and the complimentary neck and shoulder rubs from the flight attendants. They're to die for!

The last time I flew first class they let me keep the cashmere pyjamas along with the leather amenity bag, but you may have to ask politely.

----------
/sarcasm off.

You do realize there's no difference between "First" and "Business" class on a domestic flight from CLT to LAX, right?
Old Sep 17, 15, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I have no idea where the OP is from. However, First Class on most US domestic flights means a bigger seat, possibly a meal of some sort, and possibly IFE (depending on the airline/equipment type). You don't fly it for the "luxury" that you might find on longer international flights.

The exception might be flying on, say, Virgin America (with its very limited route structure). I would never pay alot of extra miles or money for US domestic First Class.
Old Sep 17, 15, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

First Class (and Business Class) on AA's three-class JFK-LAX/SFO nonstops is much different (and better) than two-class F on AA's and US' other domestic routes.
Old Sep 17, 15, 8:20 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Reminds me of an old SNL segment called "lowered expectations." Got a hearty chuckle out of this, thanks OP.
Old Sep 17, 15, 8:39 pm

"She was looking forward to a bit of luxury...." as defined exactly how? I gather being able to board and deplane ahead of others and that pre-flight beverage in that wider and with more legroom seat weren't "luxurious" enough. Gee, I am really REALLY sad about this big disappointment. Go whine elsewhere along with the people here who keep complaining about the "cramped" seats in First.
Old Sep 18, 15, 1:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y View Post
Reminds me of an old SNL segment called "lowered expectations."
That was definitely Mad TV.
Old Sep 18, 15, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CLT/LAX is likely an A321. Other than a very lucky one-off equipment switch to an A330 (doubtful at that) that route will never warrant a 321T and likely never a widebody. At some point with fleet mixing that route could possibly become a 738.
Old Sep 18, 15, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
CLT/LAX is likely an A321. Other than a very lucky one-off equipment switch to an A330 (doubtful at that) that route will never warrant a 321T and likely never a widebody. At some point with fleet mixing that route could possibly become a 738.
CLT - LAX will never get a 330 as long as AA/US continues using its current gates at LAX T6 for its CLT flights.
Old Sep 18, 15, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PLT
If you are used to flying on AA metal any trip on a US Air plane is going to be a disappointment. Discount Douggie had all the in flight entertainment ripped out of the US Air planes to give you the experience of flying in the 1960s. You can't even listen to audio. Worse still since the merger anytime you try and redeem AA miles on a cross country flight the majority of choices available for first class are on one of US Air's <redacted> planes.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 18, 15 at 10:32 am
Old Sep 18, 15, 10:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by terminator33 View Post
If you are used to flying on AA metal any trip on a US Air plane is going to be a disappointment. Discount Douggie had all the in flight entertainment ripped out of the US Air planes to give you the experience of flying in the 1960s. You can't even listen to audio. Worse still since the merger anytime you try and redeem AA miles on a cross country flight the majority of choices available for first class are on one of US Air's <redacted> planes.
That's incorrect and incomplete at best.

For example, most knowledgeable flyers would much rather fly a LUS A330-200 or -300 than an AA "NGBC" anything.

And some would say some older LAA aircraft are quite dated and would not be preferable to a newer LUS aircraft - e.g. "Eisenhower" seating Boeing 757-223 with center-mounted CRT displays and crap audio vs. a newer A321.

Poisonous characterizations and overly broad statements merely pollute the water we must all drink from next month and are not helpful to those seeking unbiased, genuine answers.
Old Sep 18, 15, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boogie711 View Post
ABSOLUTELY! Be sure to insist on the caviar appetizers and the complimentary neck and shoulder rubs from the flight attendants. They're to die for!

The last time I flew first class they let me keep the cashmere pyjamas along with the leather amenity bag, but you may have to ask politely.

----------
/sarcasm off.

You do realize there's no difference between "First" and "Business" class on a domestic flight from CLT to LAX, right?
Well, when there are no coach and business award tickets available, you fly first if you don't want to buy a ticket. I thought coming out of a hub to LAX it would be a nicer flight. This was my sister traveling on USAir. My only experience with business class award tickets is when there was only one class of travel, which I would personally consider first class in nature, internationally on LAN and on AA from MIA to LAX--both flights were "luxury" in my book.
Old Sep 18, 15, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
I remember the first time i flew first class
Old Sep 18, 15, 10:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Bohemiana View Post
Well, when there are no coach and business award tickets available, you fly first if you don't want to buy a ticket. I thought coming out of a hub to LAX it would be a nicer flight. This was my sister traveling on USAir. My only experience with business class award tickets is when there was only one class of travel, which I would personally consider first class in nature, internationally on LAN and on AA from MIA to LAX--both flights were "luxury" in my book.
International Business on Lan - or American, especially their newer aircraft - is not comparable with domestic "First" unless you're flying JFK <--> LAX or SFO or the 777 or 767 on some few routes.

If you want disappointment, fly intra-Europe on most European airlines.
Old Sep 19, 15, 5:12 pm
PHL

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, UA Silver, MR LT Platinum Premier
Disappointed using AA miles for First Class on US

Bohemiana,

To your point about lounge access...there is no free lounge access on any US carrier when flying first class domestically. In fact, I don't think you get it when flying first (aka business) on European airlines when hopping between European cities either. The clubs are paid memberships and also available to passengers flying international business or first on any affiliated airline (in this case, any Oneworld partner).

It sounds like your experience on a prior international flight in business class set your expectations a tad too high when it comes to flights within the USA. There are a few exceptions, as mentioned here like Jfk to Lax/sfo and mia-lax when it's flown with a 777.

Also, for future reference, when redeeming awards for travel within USA, business class will never be an option except those few exception flights that offer a plane with 3 distinct classes of service. This is why you wound up with first when no coach was available.

Search this Thread