Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA A319 F cabin congested, obstructed by Y lav users

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber

Should really be called Coach Class Rest Room Waiting Area.

OK there's only 8 First Seats so its just a constant flow and line of Coach Passengers for the Forward Rest Room.

Introducing some way of holding them in Coach to wait, really needs to be implemented if American expect to retain this area for Premium Customers.

The FA can hardly perform even a Basic Service.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 12, 2015 at 11:33 am Reason: Restore original post title after title change
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Good FA's (and I believe it is AA procedure to do this due to "safety" post 9/11) will instruct Y passengers to wait behind the curtain, or, even better, use the lavatory in their own ticketed cabin.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Good FA's (and I believe it is AA procedure to do this due to "safety" post 9/11) will instruct Y passengers to wait behind the curtain, or, even better, use the lavatory in their own ticketed cabin.
I've seen some foreign carrier try some creative solutions including a velvet rope to block traffic from entering the premium cabin. I always like it when I'm up front and hate it when I'm in steerage and there is a cart standing between me and the potty. That said, I always feel weird coming up front from the back to use the lavatory. I feel the judgmental stares of all those people up front.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Incorrect name for First Class Cabin on an American A319

I can only imagine if a first class passenger mentions this to a coach passenger to use their respective restroom facility.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:42 am

For me, the tricky thing is that there are different conventions between the two cabins. In Y, you line up. In F, generally, you remain seated until it's vacated, and then you get up and go. But then, you really do have to line up if there are people coming forward from Y. And if there IS a line for Y what do you do - go out and join the back of it? Cut off all the Y passengers and go ahead of them (I couldn't do it.)
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by danielm
For me, the tricky thing is that there are different conventions between the two cabins. In Y, you line up. In F, generally, you remain seated until it's vacated, and then you get up and go. But then, you really do have to line up if there are people coming forward from Y. And if there IS a line for Y what do you do - go out and join the back of it? Cut off all the Y passengers and go ahead of them (I couldn't do it.)
Pretend as if you know nothing of the line, when the door is unlocked, stand up, and walk to front. It gets some exasperated sighs sometimes, but it IS the first class lav. Maybe not the most considerate thing to do, but, well, there is a reason there is a difference between first and MC(E).
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Should really be called Coach Class Rest Room Waiting Area.

OK there's only 8 First Seats so its just a constant flow and line of Coach Passengers for the Forward Rest Room.

Introducing some way of holding them in Coach to wait, really needs to be implemented if American expect to retain this area for Premium Customers.

The FA can hardly perform even a Basic Service.
OP - What did the FA say when you raised the security & safety concern?

If you say something, he FA really has to act. All it takes is a complaint to FAA, especially noting the specific FA to whom you complained, and AA is looking down the throat of a significant fine. The FA's know this.

But, if it's not important enough to raise then, it's not important now.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1

But, if it's not important enough to raise then, it's not important now.
I respectfully disagree. Not everybody (myself included) likes being confrontational with a FA. We all know how (some) FA's tend to over-react to critiques/criticism levied their way on-board these days. The best way to handle these situations is with photographic evidence if possible, and to let the appropriate people know after the flight, IMHO.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA's stated policy is that on domestic flights, Y passengers can use any available lavatory, including the "first class" lav. It's been that way for more than 8 years. Get used to it.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Nobody has suggested a confrontation. There are some who lack basic communications skills so they cannot raise an issue without being confrontational.

I have raised the issue simply by saying, "are those people supposed to be in the aisle here in F?"

Many of the people on FT who report constant poor interactions with ground crew, TSA, CBP and cabin crews may lack the ability to raise an issue without a confrontation.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
There are some who lack basic communications skills so they cannot raise an issue without being confrontational..
Nice use of irony!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:03 pm

I just feel like you can't trust the FAs. You don't know when one crazy one is going to overreact and report you to the cockpit. Next thing you know you are a security threat and the plane is diverting and you are being left behind in the custody of the local PD.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by chuck1
I just feel like you can't trust the FAs. You don't know when one crazy one is going to overreact and report you to the cockpit. Next thing you know you are a security threat and the plane is diverting and you are being left behind in the custody of the local PD.
THIS. Also, if AA's policy is that on domestic flights, anybody can use any lavatory, then why do they make the announcement "please use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin only?"

I had a stellar FA on my last pmAA A319 flight who did a great job of instructing Y passengers to wait behind the curtain, and then, almost like a traffic cop, signaling them to come forward when the lavatory was free. It worked well and freed her up to provide outstanding service. Can any resident FA share what, if any, AA procedure says about this issue?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode:

Jerry: What is all the racket back there? You know, you're trying to relax on the plane and this is what you have to put up with. (to attendant) What is going on? Attendant: Sir, this woman tried to sneak into first class. Jerry: Oh, you see, that's terrible. The problem is that curtain is no security. There really should be a locking door.

Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
THIS. Also, if AA's policy is that on domestic flights, anybody can use any lavatory, then why do they make the announcement "please use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin only?"
They don't. It's not AA policy for domestic flights, and I've never heard this announcement on a domestic flight, though I'll allow it may occasionally happen by mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.