Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mission Impossible: Newark EWR -> JFK 3 hour layover (intl. depart & MCT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
Traffic up there is never that bad right?

Traffic up there is never that bad right? Looks like OP's flight left the gate 45 min late, hopefully his flight takes off before the next nasty line of t-storms starts up in about 15 minutes or else he'll be sitting on the tarmac for a while.
He's up and out it appears, although that seems like somewhat of a mixed blessing, as it were, if it looks to him like he can make it to JFK in time (at 3:30ish! (at best as he mentioned he -was- checking bags)) Then again, more reaccom possibilities at JFK if he does, indeed, decide to "gun it."
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Ooops, I didn't realize he was leaving this second. So, that leaves guv1976 & AAMillionaire's suggestion as the best.

I just worry that he'll have to, in a panic, decide between stopping to ask and running to a car service car.
Hopefully he'll call as soon as wheels touch in EWR.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:38 am

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
OPs flight is now due in at 4:03PM

1:36 late.

His departure from JFK is showing on time at 5:40PM

I would:
1. Check AA8986 on my phone when I touch down.

2. If it is two hours late, try to get to JFK

3. If it is on time or under MCT, stop at an AA counter and plead.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:59 am
Suspended

He's still not in the air yet, guessing the departure line was quite long from earlier delays and that last line of t-storms stopped departures for about 20 minutes
Oh, my-- that's bad. I though from a quick look on one of the tools for this kinda thing that he was up already. Now he's obviously, definitely an unequivocally gonna miss his connecting flight (not that there was much doubt before, but in terms of getting reaccomodated, at least no one will foolish tell him to "make a run for it!")

Ah, well, not much to be done, if he was on wifi and it wasn't such a busy Twitter day for AA (it's way way too busy) I'd have him plead for help via Twitter. But, alas, he might as well just deplane and take his time figuring his options.

That said, the "assistance" offered to him by AA at EWR might be very minimal, most unfortunately.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:24 am

Last edited by Geauxtigers; Aug 14, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:31 am
Suspended

In the air and estimated to arrive at 4:12pm. Above is what I would recommend at this point. There's a british airways flight AA 6147 EWR to LHR (6:20pm) connecting to AA 6538 LHR to HEL that is available for purchase on aa.com (only 2 seats left) so I'd highly recommend getting an AAgent at newark to put him on this before schlepping out to JFK.

If not possible, there's plenty of options ex-JFK. I'll put these here so OP knows what flights to ask for.
6:55pm JFK-LHR (AA106)
7:00pm JFK-LHR (AA6139)
7:10pm JFK-DUB (AA290)
7:30pm JFK-LHR (AA6141)
8:40pm JFK-LHR (AA6137)
9:20pm JFK-LHR (AA6212)
9:55pm JFK-LHR (AA6135)
10:30pm JFK-LHR (AA104)
10:55pm JFK-LHR (AA6145)
All good advice.

BTW, in a group I'm a member of, a member with a very similar problem (identical, virtually,) was just changed to a BA flight simply by contacting AA via Twitter when all other avenues at AA failed miserably.

Very common, BTW. So, even though I thought they were too busy today to handle these requests (I was wrong), for future reference, well worth trying if on Gogo, etc.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Just to let you guys know, we landed 16:15 to Newark. No time to get to JFK.

We approached AA at Newark and they printed us Newark - Heathrow - Helsinki tickets pretty much without batting an eyelash.

So, things worked out pretty well. About to board the plane, thanks everyone for the golden advice!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Glad it worked out for you!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow that's pretty amazing, almost unexpected!

Better outcome than if the flight had been on time!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by zamzum
We approached AA at Newark and they printed us Newark - Heathrow - Helsinki tickets pretty much without batting an eyelash.
Nice, also you saved the cab cost.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Glad to see this all worked out favorably. And thank you to OP for reporting back to give this story closure!
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K

So, things worked out pretty well. About to board the plane, thanks everyone for the golden advice!
What a great ending, though I will forever be haunted by the question of whether you would have made it ontime
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:03 am
Suspended

Nice!

Originally Posted by jackonferry
What a great ending, though I will forever be haunted by the question of whether you would have made it ontime
Ha!
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by jackonferry
You need this (sadly fictional) app:

http://www.xkcd.com/1580/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.