Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Delta Restore Interline / IROPS / OSO Agreement! 24 Jan 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First

Effective Jan 24th we get IRROP re-booking back on DL (and vice versa)!
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Source?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Wow!

if true, then (a) Delta blinked. Too much heat from the Plutonium Medallion crowd, and (b) excellent news all around.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Wow!

if true, then (a) Delta blinked.
For all we know, it was AA that blinked and agreed to pay the higher price. But yes I do think it was probably DL that blinked - one too many major issues at ATL last year that caused waves throughout their entire system with only UA as an alternative to reroute passengers on. The imbalance that caused DL to try and raise the price was highly reduced last year.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'm thinking that some corporate customers probably gave DL an ultimatum.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by deeruck
Source?
I posted this news without ever looking at the site below (as my post came hours before), but this should be enough verification:

DL and AA resume IROP ticketing and baggage agreement - Airliners.net
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
This is unequivocally excellent news! As an outstation-originating AA Elite this will give me another useful arrow in the quiver for dealing with IRROPS...especially in places where UA doesn’t fly and DL has a larger presence than AA.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
JonNYC (wish he were still here) also posted on his twitter: (Typo: no - now)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect between the big snowstorm in MSP on Monday (500 flights throughout system cancelled -- Flights resume in Minneapolis after heavy snow | Delta News Hub) and the ice storm in ATL last week, that it was DL that decided to throw in the towel.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LBJ
I suspect between the big snowstorm in MSP on Monday (500 flights throughout system cancelled -- Flights resume in Minneapolis after heavy snow Delta News Hub) and the ice storm in ATL last week, that it was DL that decided to throw in the towel.
Agreed. I think that DL arrogantly believed that their operation was so good that any interline agreement was of greater benefit to their lesser competitors than to DL itself. Recent events that were out of DL's control, such as the ATL power outage and winter storms. ultimately helped DL realize that no matter how good you are, you always need to have a backup plan for when the stuff hits the fan.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LBJ
I suspect between the big snowstorm in MSP on Monday (500 flights throughout system cancelled -- Flights resume in Minneapolis after heavy snow Delta News Hub) and the ice storm in ATL last week, that it was DL that decided to throw in the towel.
Airlines usually only rebook on other airlines if IRROPS was caused by within their control, such as an aircraft mechanical issue. They don't rebook on other airlines if IRROPS happened due to weather, though there may be rare exceptions for top elites.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Austin787
Airlines usually only rebook on other airlines if IRROPS was caused by within their control, such as an aircraft mechanical issue. They don't rebook on other airlines if IRROPS happened due to weather, though there may be rare exceptions for top elites.
The ORD SC often rebooks elites during weather if they can.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA and Delta Restore Interline / IROPS / OSO Agreement! Jan 2018

Well, it looks like Delta decided to play nice, as the AA-DL interlink agreement has been reestablished. AA can now endorse tickets over to DL in case of Irregular Operations (IROPS) abd Off-Schedule Operations (OSO) and vice versa.

See The Points Guy Article here.

For the old thread, see AA and DL / Delta abandon interline agreement 15 Sep '15 (restored 1/18)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 24, 2018 at 11:37 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by WWads

The ORD SC often rebooks elites during weather if they can.
Isn't the AA/UA relationship at ORD a bit of a case where they do that more routinely than elsewhere in the system? Back when I lived in MSN, it wasn't uncommon for the two airlines to jointly charter a bus when MSN-ORD flights were cancelled due to weather (even just for flow control at ORD; MSN-ORD were always among the first flights to go on both airlines in case of flow control).
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Smart. The industry is more than big enough for DL and AA (and everyone else) so nice to see that this petty disagreement be put aside. This benefits everyone.
JDiver and deeruck like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.