Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American racing to the bottom! (Consolidated rant thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American racing to the bottom! (Consolidated rant thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JDiver
You paid high fees because you flew award tickets on British Airways, NOT because you flew AAdvantage award tickets; I've paid about $56.00 in fees for a recent USA-Europevaward in Business, for example. Please understand that.
I've paid exactly $39.30 in fees and taxes to fly KUL-HKG-JFK, all in first class, on an award ticket. OP, avoid BA and you'll (mostly) be fine. If there aren't suitable options for what you want, and judging from your multiple prior rants AAdvantage really doesn't work for you, you really might want to pick another airline. Life is too short to be this angry at a large company but keep going back to them. If you're stuck due to a corporate contract, then tell your boss that AA is miserable and to seriously consider switching preferred carriers.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by huteshab16
After 10 plus years of accumulating mileage, finally decided to use some for a major anniversary trip. Booked 100s of days in advance and they still made it nearly impossible to get two tickets on the same plane. Next they only offered seats on british air that required a change in atl. Is it because those seats come with hefty fees and taxes?These days a "free" mileage ticket on American costs almost $2000. with those fees if you fly roundtrip with british air but approximately 1/2 that if you find 2 tickets on American to the same destination. GREED anyone??The new head of United has pledged to fly his aircraft until he figures out how to improve that airline. The ceo of american needs to do the same. Perhaps along the way, he can figure out what happened to my luggage for 2 1/2 days ruining my anniversary trip. Another example of GREED, they generously offered 2000 miles for ruining 2 1/2 days of a 10 day trip. American is racing to the bottom!!!
Wow, I don't see how AA's greed could have anything to do with paying BA's fuel fees, much less indicate AA racing to the bottom. There are plenty of threads on the unfortunate state of UK aviation levies as well. Absolutely none of that should surprise someone actively stockpiling miles for a decade or more.

The real question though is why a decade of saving miles would be a good strategy. The expected inflation in every single FF program is a merciless reminder that hoarding is unwise and bound to disappoint. Spend up the miles as values and cash flow best demand and move on.

Last edited by martin33; Sep 9, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Hey, martin33, you forgot the lost luggage. If that isn't a sure sign of GREED, I don't know what is (sarcasm icon inserted here).
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I hear you. I read your post and see an almost 2 year old FT member with low post count commenting on an ongoing problem with redeeming AA miles to fly BA metal, the high surcharges/taxes/ripoff cost. Its better to outright buy the ticket than book and award on BA metal. As others have mentioned already, this is not AA fault. With careful planning, things can be done. One key thing I've learnt is to be flexible with your bookings, sometimes my spouse and I travel separately in our preferred cabin, as the trip gets closer, sometimes schedule changes occur and we end up traveling together. We think of convenience first.

After reading your post, I noticed your other previous postings, your first one on Nov 2, 2013, Time to rethink AA program, somehow you managed to hang on AA. Your second post on March 17, 2014 you complained about AA not being what it used to be, and didn't want to enter in a discussion with other poster. On both of your posting others recommended you to try UA/DL, yet it appears you stayed with AA. Your subsequent post 3, 4, & 5 are about the same topics you have posted before.

It is very clear to me that you are angry at the devaluation with AA that you keep posting on it every 4-6 months or so. I can only guess you must be hub captive as you are still with AA & have not commented on whether you have tried UA/DL.

My only comment is that instead of repeating the same message over and over again, spend some time reading through the numerous threads in here on how to maximize your AA experience. Apply that knowledge and enjoy it. We win some, we loose some. It is not a perfect program but with the right tools/knowledge, you can get some good rewards overall. Good luck to you, and happy flying.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Educate me please

I'm a 1K UA flyer. I fly to Heathrow every year to visit family. I've heard of these BA taxes that are ridiculous?? Are AA flyers being forced to pay for T5 at LHR? I don't pay those fee's. Why do AA frequent flyers that want to go to LHR pay them?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm a 1K UA flyer. I fly to Heathrow every year to visit family. I've heard of these BA taxes that are ridiculous?? Are AA flyers being forced to pay for T5 at LHR? I don't pay those fee's. Why do AA frequent flyers that want to go to LHR pay them?
It's not taxes, it's fuel surcharge ("YQ"). BA slaps some on their tickets, and even more if you're in a premium cabin.

That being said, I flew to LHR with my daughter using AA miles in 2013. My cash outlay was a cool $10 for those tickets. It can still be done, even today.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 11:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enviroian
I think you're misunderstanding here.

AA doesn't use T-5. BA charges for awards flown on their airline; they were called "fuel charges" but the USDOT made them change the name. Totally not germane to AA unless you insist on using AA miles to fly BA. Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

OTOH, AA, UA or any airline does have to charge the onerous U.K. Air Passenger Duty: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html. You do pay those fees if you depart thevU.K. on connections over 24 hours or originating flights.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
<redacted> The high fees for BA award flights is because BA charges them...not AA. If you book on AA metal, then you have to pay no fees. ANY oneworld airline that books award flights on BA will be subject to the same mileage fees...genius. But go ahead blame American for a fee that British Airways charges, since that's easier for you.

Any idea why there are so many British Airways award flights available? NOBODY books them, everyone tries to go on AA metal because there are no fuel surcharges or fees so the supply is much lower. Meanwhile since nobody books BA you see an abundance of availability. Elementary logic.

And because yes, only American Airlines loses luggage. No other airline on the planet has ever lost anybody's luggage...ever. And then there is the UK passenger air duties as well for flights out of LHR. ANY airline will be charged this, yes even United. But shame on American, next time instead of flying to LHR in an all aisle access seat used by most of the 5 star airlines in the world i'll book on United's 20 year old 772 with 2-4-2 business seating instead.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 10, 2015 at 10:45 am Reason: Redacted overpersonalized comments / ad hominem
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA's "race to the bottom" began a long time ago. The downward trajectory really accelerated on December 9, 2013. The race to the bottom picked up steam several time since then with downgrades to the frequent flyer plan and cuts to already-poor meals.

Specific to the OP's complaint about the high surcharges on the award tickets to fly BA metal: For many years, AAdvantage members whined about not being able to redeem AA miles for BA metal from the USA to LHR. Clever people did redeem miles on BA metal that flew from Canada to LHR, but that was less than ideal for most Americans.

Then, AA and BA finally received approval for their joint business arrangement and viola: we could finally earn and burn on USA-LHR BA flights. And seemingly overnight, AA metal F and J award seats to Europe seemed to become very scarce. And likewise, BA metal F and J award seats via LHR appeared to be very plentiful.

My WAG (and no proof whatsoever) is that now that AA and BA share profits across the Atlantic, the BA award seat surcharges encourage AA/BA to route most (not all, but most) premium passengers on BA metal, where the surcharge is high, and discourages AA/BA from making as many premium award seats available on AA metal (where there is no huge surcharge).

Coincidence? I doubt it.

OP: We've been talking about this for about four years now. You just learned about it earlier this year. Welcome (albeit late) to the party!
I just wanted to quote this spot on observation.

The BA "fuel surcharge" is simply BA just taking money from passengers....pure and simple.

The corruption of the AA/BA joint venture, to effectively charge AA flyers by making AA awards disappear, (and thereby forcing them to take BA awards with the BA fees, which AA gets to split on the back end) is reprehensible.

I see stuff like this, and then marvel at members who will chide fliers about the 'ethics' of throw away ticketing, nested fares, etc, etc.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
As long as we're on this topic, I'd love some help understanding something. I'm currently trying to work out the various surcharges for flights on an xONEx itinerary. They're incredibly high. So my first thought was to change the BA SFO-LHR flight for one on AA. And I didn't just change airline code either; I changed to AA metal, AA 136 LAX-LHR. BA's YQ was $452. AA called it YR; but it was the same $452. What's going on?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Then, AA and BA finally received approval for their joint business arrangement and viola: we could finally earn and burn on USA-LHR BA flights. And seemingly overnight, AA metal F and J award seats to Europe seemed to become very scarce. And likewise, BA metal F and J award seats via LHR appeared to be very plentiful.
I just wanted to quote this spot on observation...
It is spot on, except for one thing. There is an entirely irrelevant mention of a musical instrument.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I just wanted to quote this spot on observation.

The BA "fuel surcharge" is simply BA just taking money from passengers....pure and simple.

The corruption of the AA/BA joint venture, to effectively charge AA flyers by making AA awards disappear, (and thereby forcing them to take BA awards with the BA fees, which AA gets to split on the back end) is reprehensible.
are they splitting the YQ on the back end?

as to awards that "disappear", when one kind is a lot cheaper than the other, in what sort of market would one expect that kind NOT to "disappear"?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
It is spot on, except for one thing. There is an entirely irrelevant mention of a musical instrument.
How do you know Willie Walsh isn't classically trained and still plays in his spare time?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by martin33
are they splitting the YQ on the back end?

as to awards that "disappear", when one kind is a lot cheaper than the other, in what sort of market would one expect that kind NOT to "disappear"?
By definition AA/BA/IB are splitting all revenue and expenses for their ATI/JV/JBA routes. So revenue taken in from frequent flyers is split as well.

I dont like it one bit as a frequent flyer, but as a business decision, they would be negligent to do anything else.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I just redeemed 4 round-trip coach awards, seated in MCE, to Australia for 300K and a total of $500 in Government fees. $500!!! Curse you, greedy AA!!!!

If AA is racing to the bottom, they're badly losing, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.