Upgrading an economy fare flying AA

Old Sep 7, 15, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Upgrading an economy fare flying AA

Hi

I posted the below in the BA forum as I normally fly BA:

Due to my company travel policy I am only allowed to book economy class with AA and they won't let me pay the difference in fare between Economy and First which is a pain. I'm flying internal from CLT to LAX and it would only cost me 300 to Fly F with AA which means a cool 420TPs

Does anyone know if there is a way to book Economy with AA and then go into the AA manage my booking equivalent and upgrade to First? Can this be actually be done or am I likely to end up booking an Economy class ticket which is then impossible to upgrade using ?

Thanks for your help as always!

In essence, I want to take the opportunity to pay to upgrade from economy to F between CLT and LAX by paying difference of fare. Am I able to do this online in the AA Reservation tool? Or is it not possible to do this if I book a certain class of ticket / fare type - it looks like it will be Economy N type of fare.

Also, the key thing is, if I pay to upgrade will I then collect the extra Avios and Tier Points?
Old Sep 7, 15, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
I believe you'll have to call in...if you do upgrade with cash only, you'd be reticketed in a bucket that earns extra miles etc.. If you upgrade with miles, you'd get the original Y bucket mileage.
Old Sep 7, 15, 9:04 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
AA will usually let you buy into the higher class without a change fee. Just make sure that you have whatever receipts your company needs before you do it. You will have to call.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: