Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA (Charter) LAX-HAV (Havana, Cuba) began 12 Dec 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA LAX-HAV-HAV (charter to/from Havana, Cuba) began 12 Dec 2015

American Airlines has been flying charters for Cuba Travel Services, the organization in the U.S. handling most licensed travel to Cuba, for some time. The inaugural flight for LAX-HAV occurred Saturday, December 12, 2015, with a Boeing 737-823.

Travelers must be licensed in accordance with OFAC regulations and / or meet specific criteria. Travel via AA to Cuba is not book able on aa.com. Travel on AA to or from Cuba does not currently permit earning AAdvantage miles, nor may one book award travel to or from Cuba. As these are charters there is no AA upgrade path available; one must purchase Oach or First / Business from the authorized charter company or their authorized agents for Cuba travel.

Note: MCE is treated as Main Cabin, so ask your agent, or at the ticket counter at the airport, for rows 8-15 (13 and 14 are likely to have limited recline, as 14 and 15 are exit rows).
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX

I read that starting December 2015 AA is planning to offer LAX-Havana flights.

Anyone know more details? Like flight times? Aircraft to be used? If its a charter can I upgrade thru status or miles?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JHIN
I read that starting December 2015 AA is planning to offer LAX-Havana flights.

Anyone know more details? Like flight times? Aircraft to be used? If its a charter can I upgrade thru status or miles?
My AA Cuba charter flight was just another AA 738 flight in feel and appearance, but had restrictions as to who could be ticketed, etc.

AA has been using Boeing 737-823s for its Cuba charters. Unless things change significantly in the near future, no miles can be earned, upgrades are not possible (only paid J or Y fares). I'm guessing Cuba Travel Services will be the most common chartering company, as I believe they are now.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 24, 2015 at 9:01 am Reason: Typo grr!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, this is an expansion of Cuba Travel Services, of Cypress, CA charters:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...les-and-havana

As charters, the fares paid are not "published," and thus, no miles earned or redeemed.

On top of that, of course, the AAdvantage terms and conditions provide that no miles are earned on flights to Cuba.

To earn or redeem miles to Cuba, the terms and conditions will have to be modified. And then you'll have to pay published fares (not charter fares).
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
To take the charter flights, you'd also have to fit into one of the U.S. government's 12 approved categories for travel to Cuba. Independent tourism does not qualify.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who gets access to MCE seats on charters?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Who gets access to MCE seats on charters?
Whoever knows and requests from the charter company or agency providing the ticket, or at the airport ticket counter (because often the former won't be possibilities). The same also applies to preferred or exit row seats.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I got a few emails from ABC Charters from AA's website and they dont have any info bout west coast LAX flights yet. Kept wanting me to purchase from east coast.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHIN
I got a few emails from ABC Charters from AA's website and they dont have any info bout west coast LAX flights yet. Kept wanting me to purchase from east coast.
That's because the LAX flight (and an additional MIA flight) are being chartered by Cuba Travel Services, not ABC.

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...les-and-havana

http://cubatravelservices.com/
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
LAX-HAV

I'm on my mobile device, so apologies if this has been posted already.

I'm at LAX and at Gate 41 they are having a presentation by some city and AA officials as there is a non-stop LAX-HAV flight about to depart from that gate.

I am assuming it's a charter, but the officials said they want to start service between the two cities and referred to this flight as the inaugural.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I came into LAX this morning on AA 155, SFO-LAX (tail N813NN). We arrived at gate 41 to much fanfare and people herding us along a specific path away from the gate. There were people dancing to Latin music and many TV cameras. I walked by a little later after getting some food and there were people speaking in front of an American Airlines backdrop.

When I plugged in the tail number later, it came up with flight AA 9440, LAX-HAV, so this must have been the inaugural flight operation. Funny that my random SFO-LAX ship would end up being the one.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
A quick photo of the event:

On the side were several police officers and what appeared to be some officers dressed in military-officer-style uniforms?

Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
whimike thanks for the photos.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:00 pm

Hi. Just flew this flight LAX-HAV Feb 20 return Feb 27. About 30 people on the 737-8 each way, so everyone had their own row if they wanted They served a free meal (sandwich, chips, salad, brownie). Was in row 9 (MCE) on the outbound, and row 15 exit on the return. Did not even have to request these seats, just given to me. All announcements were standard AA announcements, as if you were on a standard AA flight.

Enjoyed Cuba. Glad I got to experience it before the hordes invade it after the restrictions are fully lifted.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just 30 passengers each way? Cuba Travel Services is losing their, well, they're losing a lot of money on those flights.

The dangers of organizing charters.

No doubt AA is happy - they should have provided free booze considering how profitable those flights were!

When scheduled service begins, I think that's the end of this charter flight (and all other charters).
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chuckles
Hi. Just flew this flight LAX-HAV Feb 20 return Feb 27. About 30 people on the 737-8 each way, so everyone had their own row if they wanted They served a free meal (sandwich, chips, salad, brownie). Was in row 9 (MCE) on the outbound, and row 15 exit on the return. Did not even have to request these seats, just given to me. All announcements were standard AA announcements, as if you were on a standard AA flight.
With only 30 passengers, how many FAs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.