Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by anabolism
Had your wife called the EXP desk for any reason the day the email came, or the day before?
Nope. I handle all the Air she handles the ground stuff. Between us we make one experienced traveler.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by Majuki
I had this happen about three years ago with a SWU. The reason was the EXP desk agent had left the screen open with my information and erroneously pulled the SWU from my account than from the account of the subsequent caller.

Like my case, I suspect user error, not maliciousness, given the information that you could find out about the person traveling.
Could be user error, but not us, see above. But given the following, a- we don't know the passenger, b- the very large automobile company may have an in house travel agency that we would never have contact with, and c- I have not called the EXP desk in a month at least, its still weird. Now that you mention it, I did gift a SWU from my wife's account to a son in law that flew today from MIA to NYC, and he got to use it. But that was today. And a SWU. But it was her SWU, so now I am thinking it might have been that.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by boerne
I have not called the EXP desk in a month at least, its still weird. Now that you mention it, I did gift a SWU from my wife's account to a son in law that flew today from MIA to NYC, and he got to use it. But that was today. And a SWU. But it was her SWU, so now I am thinking it might have been that.
Yes, that explains it. You called the EXP desk to do a transaction using your wife's account and later miles were used from your wife's account to upgrade the auto exec; it's explained by the EXP agent accidentally having your wife's account still up and/or a phone glitch failing to load the EXP agent's screen with the account of the exec. It does happen from time to time.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Yes, that explains it. You called the EXP desk to do a transaction using your wife's account and later miles were used from your wife's account to upgrade the auto exec; it's explained by the EXP agent accidentally having your wife's account still up and/or a phone glitch failing to load the EXP agent's screen with the account of the exec. It does happen from time to time.
Yep. I imagine this is what happened. You'll need to call AAdvantage Customer Service during business hours to get it sorted out. Reservations agents, including those at the EXP desk, are unable to handle this type of a request.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I tried accessing my AAdvantage account a couple of days ago -- couldn't log in via the website or the app. Called the EXP desk -- they told me that Corporate Security had somehow detected that my account had been compromised, and that I needed to create new credentials and have everything merged over to the new account. EXP supervisor confirmed that points were all still there (thank goodness), and that the account merger would take place overnight.

I am probably panicking for nothing, but I logged into my new account and don't see any of my information imported over. How long does this usually take? (I have a few flights coming up in the next couple of weeks, including one tomorrow.) Worried about losing EXP perks.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 5:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Well it finally happened to me. I flew on Thursday, first time since January. Did a swim event yesterday morning. Went out to dinner with my cousin last night (we were the only people at the restaurant for quite a while).
Anyway, before bed I checked email. Saw one that my password had been changed, then another that my email was changed (very similar account). It was about 10pm Mountain time. I called the reservations number, who transferred me to someone else, who transferred me to someone else.
Between 7:30pm and when I called they had managed to nearly deplete my account of about 700k miles. All on car reservations, for today (Sunday) from JFK. The agent was fantastic! My verification answers had been changed, but she would ask different questions at different times to make sure it was me (did I contact AA in March, and what about, my trusted traveler number, when I've redeemed miles, etc.)
I was able to get back into my account, change the p/w. The agent canceled all of the bookings, and said it would take a few days to get the miles back--but she stressed several times that I will get them back.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Well it finally happened to me. I flew on Thursday, first time since January. Did a swim event yesterday morning. Went out to dinner with my cousin last night (we were the only people at the restaurant for quite a while).
Anyway, before bed I checked email. Saw one that my password had been changed, then another that my email was changed (very similar account). It was about 10pm Mountain time. I called the reservations number, who transferred me to someone else, who transferred me to someone else.
Between 7:30pm and when I called they had managed to nearly deplete my account of about 700k miles. All on car reservations, for today (Sunday) from JFK. The agent was fantastic! My verification answers had been changed, but she would ask different questions at different times to make sure it was me (did I contact AA in March, and what about, my trusted traveler number, when I've redeemed miles, etc.)
I was able to get back into my account, change the p/w. The agent canceled all of the bookings, and said it would take a few days to get the miles back--but she stressed several times that I will get them back.
Sounds like a relatively happy ending. Would the last minute JFK car rentals be some car rental reseller who is selling discount reservations to unsuspecting customers? Only thing I can think of. If it is all around a similar time, you could probably narrow down what country they are based in as there is probably a flight from that country coming in around then.
Global321 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 6:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Sounds like a relatively happy ending. Would the last minute JFK car rentals be some car rental reseller who is selling discount reservations to unsuspecting customers? Only thing I can think of. If it is all around a similar time, you could probably narrow down what country they are based in as there is probably a flight from that country coming in around then.
That's what I'm thinking too. If I remember correctly, they were all with Alamo. And most for high-end vehicles, I think 1 minivan. In my account I can only see the amount of miles deducted per transaction, but the agent could see much more (including the names).
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lowfareair
If it is all around a similar time, you could probably narrow down what country they are based in as there is probably a flight from that country coming in around then.
Far more likely that the fraudster is based in the US.

Domestic passengers probably rent cars too, and there's probably many more domestic passengers arriving at JFK these days than international passengers!
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Far more likely that the fraudster is based in the US.

Domestic passengers probably rent cars too, and there's probably many more domestic passengers arriving at JFK these days than international passengers!
I think some fraud involves selling services and plane tickets like a bogus travel agency. The fraudster could be anywhere.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
How much is a car rental award these days?
You'd think that an investigation of the "renters" would all tie to the same consolidation service?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Excellent that you caught it quickly and the agent was able to cancel the bookings. Will you be able to retain your AAdvantage number?

Just out of curiosity, what sort of swim event is happening?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
How much is a car rental award these days?
You'd think that an investigation of the "renters" would all tie to the same consolidation service?
The redemption amounts are ridiculous. One is 256k miles. The smallest is 115k. I've never used miles for anything but flights.

Excellent that you caught it quickly and the agent was able to cancel the bookings. Will you be able to retain your AAdvantage number?

Just out of curiosity, what sort of swim event is happening?
They told me to call back on Monday. I'll be traveling so I'll call when I get a chance on Tuesday. I just called to make sure my return flight for tomorrow is still ok and the agent said it is.

It was an open water swim:
https://www.raceentry.com/deer-creek...ce-information
There were a total of about 60 swimmers for all of the distances. I did the 10k and there were a whopping 11 swimmers, so it was very easy to keep a distance from others.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Just curious - Do you have any sense whether the timing of this issue was related the timing of your trip, or is that just coincidence? And since you were on a trip, did you perhaps login to AA using an insecure WiFi hotspot (restaurant, hotel)?
Global321 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’d think that if an account’s email is changed, online reward redemptions would be prohibited for, say, 24 hours. Would seem to limit the potential damage and save all this agent’s time.
Global321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.