Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafs or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Progress...went to file an official police report today per request from AA (thanks for the heads up Jon). Once I get that back, I'm hoping to see my 220,000 miles back in my account waiting to be booked on a non-fraudulent vacation.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Progress...went to file an official police report today per request from AA (thanks for the heads up Jon). Once I get that back, I'm hoping to see my 220,000 miles back in my account waiting to be booked on a non-fraudulent vacation.
I'm betting things will move petty quickly now.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:26 pm

My Uncle had his account breached and he called AA today after discovering that award tickets were booked with his miles.

The agent was very helpful, she cancelled the tickets and said she would notify the relevant people to get it all cleaned up. She apparently said this was her 5th call in as many days with this sort of issue.

I warned my Uncle that from reading this thread AA may accuse him at first, but as he did nothing wrong, they will eventually return the stolen miles too him.

I had him change his password and I warned him to be prepared to talk to the Police and have a Police report filled.

​​​​​​He checked his other accounts, bank, etc., and they appear untouched, good news there. He changed those password as a prophylactic.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
UPDATE: After turning in an electronic copy of the police report, I received an email from Corporate Security that the miles would be going back into my new account. A few hours later, they did show up as promised. Thanks to all who helped weigh in and special thanks to JonNYC for the advice.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:19 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GoPhils
maybe the person flying isn't the one behind it, but I don't think sending an officer to the arrival gate would cost tens of thousands of dollars...
I doubt a LEO would get involved; an "AA officer" would not have detention powers.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
UPDATE: After turning in an electronic copy of the police report, I received an email from Corporate Security that the miles would be going back into my new account. A few hours later, they did show up as promised. Thanks to all who helped weigh in and special thanks to JonNYC for the advice.
Glad it worked out!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:54 am

AAdvantage Account hacked and now AMERICAN keeps you alone

My AA Advantage mileages account was hacked. I received an email from American that my a) Password is change and a few minutes later b) my email address is changed at 5.53am in the morning.

I called American Customer Service at 7.05am. They told me that I can reach just someone at 8am CST.

When I talked to American Airlines Customer Service at 8.02am. They helped me to get into the account and identified that miles where taken out of the account. On the call with the American Airlines representative we changed the password and security questions. At 9.44am I got another email from American Airlines that my password was changed. (again!!!). I also received a notification from americanairlinesvacation that I have booked (The person who took over my account) a hotel and rental car in Florida. I called AA again, got connected to 4 different people This time AA did not try to reset my account, the last person told me that a new aadvantage account will be created and all information from my old account will be transfered overnight. . Than I got an email from CorporateSecurity, AAdvantage stating I need to file a police report before any miles can be re instated.

My local police department don't feel responsible for the case as the miles where used for a hotel in Florida. I filled a report with the Florida police.

Result:
American don't make any move to reinstate the miles that were used.
American has not cancelled the booking of my stolen miles to avoid damage.
American Service employees don't record the case correctly in their system and doing anything to support a loyal customer (I am a member 10+years.)
American has created a new account number but not transfered my information. I have a new booked flight in my account with I cannot access anymore.

Anyone else made similar bad experience with the "great" American Airlines service??
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by supermariogm
My AA Advantage mileages account was hacked. I received an email from American that my a) Password is change and a few minutes later b) my email address is changed at 5.53am in the morning.

I called American Customer Service at 7.05am. They told me that I can reach just someone at 8am CST.

When I talked to American Airlines Customer Service at 8.02am. They helped me to get into the account and identified that miles where taken out of the account. On the call with the American Airlines representative we changed the password and security questions. At 9.44am I got another email from American Airlines that my password was changed. (again!!!). I also received a notification from americanairlinesvacation that I have booked (The person who took over my account) a hotel and rental car in Florida. I called AA again, got connected to 4 different people This time AA did not try to reset my account, the last person told me that a new aadvantage account will be created and all information from my old account will be transfered overnight. . Than I got an email from CorporateSecurity, AAdvantage stating I need to file a police report before any miles can be re instated.

My local police department don't feel responsible for the case as the miles where used for a hotel in Florida. I filled a report with the Florida police.

Result:
American don't make any move to reinstate the miles that were used.
American has not cancelled the booking of my stolen miles to avoid damage.
American Service employees don't record the case correctly in their system and doing anything to support a loyal customer (I am a member 10+years.)
American has created a new account number but not transfered my information. I have a new booked flight in my account with I cannot access anymore.

Anyone else made similar bad experience with the "great" American Airlines service??
Why don't you cancel "your" reservation?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
This probably should go into this thread:

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc. (link)

Supermarigm - you're not the first person this has happened to, and unfortunately - not the first person who has had this experience.

This sounds like a job for JonNYC who is the resident Flyer Talk expert on this situation.

If it's as you describe - don't worry eventually everything will be restored and corrected.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 12, 2017 at 10:31 am Reason: Inserted proper thread for this topic
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:16 am

The Florida police told me NOT to cancel the reservation. They want me to call the hotel and find out if the person is checked in and call the police back.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Can you access your AAdvantage acct with the new pasword/ security question AA set up for you? and was there confirmation info sent with the rental car and Hotel notifications? these would afford you and or the police some opportunities? Theif pretty much documented where they can be found on a certian date and time! Might this be someone you know??? RT
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
The Florida police told me NOT to cancel the reservation. They want me to call the hotel and find out if the person is checked in and call the police back.
They want you to do their job?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
I'll bet you lunch that the person staying in the room booked the reservation through a third party for a cheap rate and will be "shocked" that the reservation is not legit.
RogerD408 and nutwpinut like this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Your local department does not have jurisdiction in Florida where the crime is occurring. They were correct to have you contact a Florida department to file the report.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Your local department does not have jurisdiction in Florida where the crime is occurring. They were correct to have you contact a Florida department to file the report.
There's more than one crime occurring here.

Once someone hacked the OP's account, a crime occurred -- even before any miles were redeemed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.