Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
I think its almost 100 percent certain that the OP's computer has been compromised and at best has a keystroke logger on it, and at worst is monitored live. Seems incredibly improbable that they can get the info to keep changing otherwise (or its an inside job by a family member without realizing it).

I sure as hell would not use your computer or devices you've been using to log into any account or anytype until you run a very full and complete scan for spyware and malware on the devices.
If the situation was the result of a computer/tablet/smartphone device being compromised post-delivery to the device user -- rather than a data and/or process compromise (or error) on the AA side -- it may be a better route to wipe clean the whole device of all its data and settings and get the hit devices wiped back to a factory reset situation.

The spyware and malware scans aren't going to catch everything. Not that a factory reset would root out all possibilities of a device compromise, but it would be more effective overall to limit spyware/malware exposure.

To mess around with someone's AA account such that emails don't end up effectively alerting the legitimate AA account member (of member-unauthorized changes/redemptions) can be done rather more easily once the email account info is compromised; that doesn't necessarily require spyware/malware. Having the email address of the account member with a relatively weak password (inclusive of the relatively predictable) being used across more than one account makes things a lot easier for those engaging in fraud online, over the phone, or in person with airline reps/contractors.

Strong, unique passwords which are frequently changed, not recycled (in whole or part) and not shared across different accounts (of any sort) would be a good practice for starters, with or without being hit by spyware/malware.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 26, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Like I said - Windows 10 just came out anyway, if OP has a windows PC he might as well do a clean upgrade.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:54 pm
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Like I said - Windows 10 just came out anyway, if OP has a windows PC he might as well do a clean upgrade.
I've upgraded one of my computers from W8 to W10 and am still deciding if I'll do it to my (main) W7 machine. So far W10 doesn't knock me out, but it's better than W8. That's a low bar, of course.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I've upgraded one of my computers from W8 to W10 and am still deciding if I'll do it to my (main) W7 machine. So far W10 doesn't knock me out, but it's better than W8. That's a low bar, of course.
Were you able to get the miles back yet? Or still pending?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:19 pm
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyer_70
Were you able to get the miles back yet? Or still pending?
The miles for the three tickets that were caught before flying have been put back; the 67.5K for the flown ticket is in the hands of the AA fraud people. ACS says they'll be in touch with me within a few days. I assume they need to be satisfied that I'm not in on it somehow before they can restore those miles.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:13 am

The miles for the three tickets that were caught before flying have been put back; the 67.5K for the flown ticket is in the hands of the AA fraud people. ACS says they'll be in touch with me within a few days. I assume they need to be satisfied that I'm not in on it somehow before they can restore those miles.
Given your reporting the hack to AA before that ticket was booked, AA bares some responsibility for the ticket that got used.

It would not be took difficult for a company as large as AA to add fraud watch to accounts. The technology exists. Yes, it will take money, but, these type of attacks are only going to become more frequent and cost AA in the long run.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:11 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Given your reporting the hack to AA before that ticket was booked, AA bares some responsibility for the ticket that got used.

It would not be took difficult for a company as large as AA to add fraud watch to accounts. The technology exists. Yes, it will take money, but, these type of attacks are only going to become more frequent and cost AA in the long run.
I am not going to be critical of AA at this point. Pretty much from the beginning, everybody I've talked to at AA has been professional and has done their best on my behalf.

The "structural" flaw, if you want to call it that, is that when I discovered the hack on Saturday, I asked the first AAdvantage rep I spoke to to lock the account, but because AAdvantage Customer Service was closed on the weekend, they were unable to do so. They managed to stop the tickets that had been issued on Thursday from being used, and restored my miles, but they couldn't lock the account that was - apparently simultaneously - being re-hacked. AAdvantage account management was in the domain of ACS and evidently beyond the powers of anybody working on the weekend.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards stolen, etc.

Well that's a business decision AA has made and will need to continue to evaluate. If these frauds happen with increasing frequency, real-time, off-hours, and are costing AA more money, then they'll potentially be better off more fully staffing the fraud department.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Saw the cable program about everyday operation at MIA. One scene a young lady (looked like she was in 20s) traveling from Caribbean to New York City was stranded at MIA walking around the terminal. I think first a police noticed her and after hearing her situation police asked Travelers Aid to help her out.

Her story was that she was traveling from Caribbean (don’t remember which island) to New York City on AA. She arrived at MIA without an incident but when she tried to continue on to New York City she was told her reservation was cancelled and denied boarding. She did not know anybody at Miami and she did not know what to do.

The Travelers Aid went back to AA to find out the situation. Nobody from AA at MIA went in front of camera, but according to the Travelers Aid her ticket was purchased by stolen credit card. AA become aware of the situation while she was flying from Caribbean to MIA and AA canceled the reservation. Hence, she had no problem boarding the plane when she left the island but the time she was ready to board the flight to New York City the reservation was cancelled by AA.

Her story was that she was visiting her families at Caribbean. She met a man at an island whom told her that he could get a cheap airline ticket for her trip back to New York City. She paid cash to this man and got ticket on AA.

AA at MIA simply told her that her reservation was cancelled. Did not call authority on her at MIA. Could be that situation like this corporate does not want front line employees at airports to take action toward a questionable passengers. Could be that in fraud cases like this corporate back at Ft. Worth handle the situation and corporate at Ft. Worth does not want front line employees at airports to get involved at all.

What happened at the end? Travelers Aid let her use their phone to contact her father in New York City. Her father wired money so that she could buy one way ticket from Miami to New York City. She boarded the flight back to her home at New York City.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
The "structural" flaw, if you want to call it that, is that when I discovered the hack on Saturday, I asked the first AAdvantage rep I spoke to to lock the account, but because AAdvantage Customer Service was closed on the weekend, they were unable to do so. They managed to stop the tickets that had been issued on Thursday from being used, and restored my miles, but they couldn't lock the account that was - apparently simultaneously - being re-hacked. AAdvantage account management was in the domain of ACS and evidently beyond the powers of anybody working on the weekend.
And therein could lie a gaping security hole that these hackers know and exploit. If we are all now aware that accounts can't be locked after hours, you can bet the hacker already knew this. Opens up a nice, big window of time to keep re-hacking vulnerable accounts until Monday morning when ACS takes over. The hackers know the account is still vulnerable as it is a weekend and they already have their way in to your email to deflect the password change notification so they hit you again.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Saw the cable program about everyday operation at MIA. One scene a young lady (looked like she was in 20s) traveling from Caribbean to New York City was stranded at MIA walking around the terminal. I think first a police noticed her and after hearing her situation police asked Travelers Aid to help her out.

Her story was that she was traveling from Caribbean (don’t remember which island) to New York City on AA. She arrived at MIA without an incident but when she tried to continue on to New York City she was told her reservation was cancelled and denied boarding. She did not know anybody at Miami and she did not know what to do.

The Travelers Aid went back to AA to find out the situation. Nobody from AA at MIA went in front of camera, but according to the Travelers Aid her ticket was purchased by stolen credit card. AA become aware of the situation while she was flying from Caribbean to MIA and AA canceled the reservation. Hence, she had no problem boarding the plane when she left the island but the time she was ready to board the flight to New York City the reservation was cancelled by AA.

Her story was that she was visiting her families at Caribbean. She met a man at an island whom told her that he could get a cheap airline ticket for her trip back to New York City. She paid cash to this man and got ticket on AA.

AA at MIA simply told her that her reservation was cancelled. Did not call authority on her at MIA. Could be that situation like this corporate does not want front line employees at airports to take action toward a questionable passengers. Could be that in fraud cases like this corporate back at Ft. Worth handle the situation and corporate at Ft. Worth does not want front line employees at airports to get involved at all.

What happened at the end? Travelers Aid let her use their phone to contact her father in New York City. Her father wired money so that she could buy one way ticket from Miami to New York City. She boarded the flight back to her home at New York City.
Who would travel from NYC to visit relatives in the Caribbean without a return ticket? Also, who would pay cash to some random guy they met on a foreign street for a cheap airplane ticket? Her story doesn't make sense at all.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Who would travel from NYC to visit relatives in the Caribbean without a return ticket? Also, who would pay cash to some random guy they met on a foreign street for a cheap airplane ticket? Her story doesn't make sense at all.
Its a big, odd world out there and you need to realize you might live in a bit of a bubble (as do I).

Street hustles, cash economy, "dont ask dont tell" transactions are a way of life for some people. Not everyone has a full and complete understanding of right and wrong.

"Sure there is the airport people, but the local travelman is much cheaper so we use him"

"My aunt told me to just get down here and they have a travel man that can handle everything- so I took the greyhound to Miami and she handled the rest of it." For all we know she flew a stolen CC ticket to come down as well.

Yes, there is surely more to it....but her story as reported above doesnt sound outrageous

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Aug 27, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
We live in a great big, crazy world where people do all kinds of questionable stuff. I believe that you've been around at least as long as I have () and am surprised that you question anything that goes on out there these days... every time I think I've seen (heard) it all I see (hear) something new. Nothing surprises me any more, lol...
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Lots of people of Caribbean ethnic backgrounds in the NYC area, and plenty of them fly to the Caribbean on one-way tickets.

I've been offered cash at airports -- most recently at ARN -- for a cheap one-way airplane ticket using my miles or to buy the ticket online with my charge card in exchange for cash. The guy hit me up just after I left a ticketing desk where I was trying to buy a ticket for a member of my travel party. I suggested they try their luck with a travel agent in town or on the way to town.

Cash purchases of tickets from travel agents or even from unauthorized "middle-men" is anything but unheard of when it comes to ticket purchases in LDCs where a lot of people are unbanked or underbanked. Sadly, some of these people get taken for a ride by scam artists and end up not having the kind of recourse we have with our personal credit cards' charges.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
I would love to see the culprit in this scam held accountable but I am not holding my breath.
I hate it on principle when scoundrels (scumbags) get away with stuff like this.

Last edited by Paulchili; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.