Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

One World [oneworld] Ruby terrible treatment at MCO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.

Today my mom was supposed to be on a return flight from MCO to PHL.
She arrived at the airport, and waited in line at to check her bag. Her turn came about 15 minutes before the flight closing/cut off time for check in.

The agent at MCO was rude (I was put on speaker phone. My mom has poor english - fluent spanish and portuguese).

She is a one world Ruby customer (TAM Blue), which on the US air and AA websites states the first checked bag fee is waved. She had this problem on the outbound from PHL to MCO, but here in PHL they eventually figured out she did not have to pay for a bag.

At MCO, it was a different story. They had her TAM number, but would not budge, and wanted to charge her a fee. First they said the FF number was not on the reservation (it was on the outbound - I checked her in, and on the website it even showed the first bag as $0.00 - the boarding pass also had her Ruby status on it).

Then they said she was Ruby, but they would still have to charge her. She tried to argue, but they did not care. Supervisor also would not help her.

She gave up and said - fine I will pay - but then they told her the check in window passed, and they told her she missed her flight. Now she is stand-by on an oversold 7pm flight. They still charged her for her bag.

I have trouble understanding how check in agents do not know the most basic rules for checked baggage fees. This is one of their main responsibilities. It seemed that once they got annoyed by her, they just did not care if she was going to miss her flight or not.

She should not have to argue to get a simple published benefit every time she flies.

What is the best course of action to get the bag fee refunded, and at the very least an apology. My mom flies quite a bit, often in paid C, and this is some of the worst treatment she has gotten. By the end, she was getting the silence treatment to her questions. That is how bad it went.

Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

How much was she charged for the bag?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Regular 1st bag domestic fee. $25. Nothing out of the ordinary with the bag. Not oversided or overweight.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by carvalh2
Regular 1st bag domestic fee. $25. Nothing out of the ordinary with the bag. Not oversided or overweight.
A simple webform complaint about the checked bag fee will likely get it refunded easily. With hindsight, it'd have been simpler to pay the fee and chargeback against her credit card and/or request the refund. But I know things aren't always so simple.

Keep your webform complaint down to 2-3 lines.

"checkin agent didn't know rules, checkin agent caused missed flight, checkin agent still charged for bag. please refund."
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you are sure that Mom's FFN was in the reservation record (did it print on her MCO-PHL boarding pass?), then just use the complaint form on aa.com to request a refund. (Make clear that you want a refund, not a voucher, unless you are confident that Mom can use a voucher within the next year.)

I am Lifetime Gold (oneworld Ruby) with AA, and had a problem last December checking a bag on US out of SYR. But I was able to pull up the rules on my phone and show them to the agent, who ultimately checked the bag without charge; he was courteous throughout our interaction. Had a similar issue at PHL that same month, and it was also satisfactorily resolved, after I pointed out that the same issue had come up at SYR.

It's always better to try to resolve an issue like this upfront -- rather than try to seek a refund later -- but if the baggage cut-off deadline is fast approaching, I would not risk missing a flight over $25.

I would think that US at MCO has at least some Spanish-speaking counter agents. It might have been better for Mom to have asked for one at the outset, rather than have to possibly deal with a communication issue. But it's possible that the outcome would have been the same. Traveling with a printout of the AA/US checked-baggage policies for oneworld elites might also be a good idea.

By the way, was there an elite check-in line/counter at MCO, and if so, did Mom use it?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Odd. OW Ruby isn't entitled to a bag waiver. But, AA & US both provide one. In the end, it's going to come down to what the allowance stated on her e-ticket receipt says. That is what the agent saw in front of him and those are the terms of the ticket under the DOT rule.

2. Whether AA or the mother was correct, if you are down to the wire on time, you don't fight over $25 if you can afford to lay it out. If you are correct, AA will refund the $25. If you are wrong for some reason, AA may send you a voucher or some miles anyway.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Odd. OW Ruby isn't entitled to a bag waiver. But, AA & US both provide one. In the end, it's going to come down to what the allowance stated on her e-ticket receipt says. That is what the agent saw in front of him and those are the terms of the ticket under the DOT rule."

Let's not cloud the issue. AA and US waive the first checked bag fee for all oneworld Ruby members. Period. (The fact that the oneworld alliance does not require its member airlines to do so is irrelevant.) The fee waiver is a published AA/US policy:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

(Scroll down to "1st checked bag fee waived.")

The checked-baggage allowance printed on the E-ticket receipt will not necessarily reflect the fee waiver to which an elite-status passenger is entitled, so that's a red herring. But it could account for confusion by the US ticket-counter agent at MCO.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

If you are sure that Mom's FFN was in the reservation record (did it print on her MCO-PHL boarding pass?), then just use the complaint form on aa.com to request a refund. (Make clear that you want a refund, not a voucher, unless you are confident that Mom can use a voucher within the next year.)

I am Lifetime Gold (oneworld Ruby) with AA, and had a problem last December checking a bag on US out of SYR. But I was able to pull up the rules on my phone and show them to the agent, who ultimately checked the bag without charge; he was courteous throughout our interaction. Had a similar issue at PHL that same month, and it was also satisfactorily resolved, after I pointed out that the same issue had come up at SYR.

It's always better to try to resolve an issue like this upfront -- rather than try to seek a refund later -- but if the baggage cut-off deadline is fast approaching, I would not risk missing a flight over $25.

I would think that US at MCO has at least some Spanish-speaking counter agents. It might have been better for Mom to have asked for one at the outset, rather than have to possibly deal with a communication issue. But it's possible that the outcome would have been the same. Traveling with a printout of the AA/US checked-baggage policies for oneworld elites might also be a good idea.

By the way, was there an elite check-in line/counter at MCO, and if so, did Mom use it?
Yes, her FF is printed in her boarding pass, and it shows "Ruby" on the upper right corner.

While my mom flies often, she is an older woman and not necessarily savvy with the nuances of airline rules. She assumed that once she began the check in process, she was safe with the time. This whole thing went on for 15 minutes.

The agent in front of her knew exactly what was going on, and I feel like she was deliberate in her actions.

I spoke to the agent when my mom put me on speaker to try to tell her that Ruby's are entitled to a free bag, and the agent told me directly that she could not wave the bag fee because she did not have my mom's FF number. I am looking at the boarding pass as I type this, and I see it right on here.

She acknowledged that she knew the rule, but charged my mom anyways.

I do not know if she used a elite check in lane, but I don't think she did.

She said there were no spanish speakers at the counter, and if there were, they certainly did not volunteer to help. She was trying her best with an intermediate level of english she has.

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Odd. OW Ruby isn't entitled to a bag waiver. But, AA & US both provide one. In the end, it's going to come down to what the allowance stated on her e-ticket receipt says. That is what the agent saw in front of him and those are the terms of the ticket under the DOT rule.

2. Whether AA or the mother was correct, if you are down to the wire on time, you don't fight over $25 if you can afford to lay it out. If you are correct, AA will refund the $25. If you are wrong for some reason, AA may send you a voucher or some miles anyway.
As mentioned above, my mom assumed that people are decent human beings, and that if they knew she was going to miss her flight, they would tell her.

It's not about the $25, but it is about what you are entitled to. This is a clear publish benefit, and it directly influences the choice in which airline you fly.

Originally Posted by guv1976

"Odd. OW Ruby isn't entitled to a bag waiver. But, AA & US both provide one. In the end, it's going to come down to what the allowance stated on her e-ticket receipt says. That is what the agent saw in front of him and those are the terms of the ticket under the DOT rule."

Let's not cloud the issue. AA and US waive the first checked bag fee for all oneworld Ruby members. Period. (The fact that the oneworld alliance does not require its member airlines to do so is irrelevant.) The fee waiver is a published AA/US policy:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

(Scroll down to "1st checked bag fee waived.")

The checked-baggage allowance printed on the E-ticket receipt will not necessarily reflect the fee waiver to which an elite-status passenger is entitled, so that's a red herring. But it could account for confusion by the US ticket-counter agent at MCO.
Exactly. The only thing I would add, is that I still feel it is ridiculous and an absurd that a passenger has to show the airline and teach them their own rules. I am not expecting a check in agent to know the nuances of how to book the best award ticket, but knowing the rules for bags is central to their job.

It is pathetic we have to pull up websites or show these employees the rules for their company. Just paying the fee and asking for a refund later is enabling behavior that allows this stuff to continue, and makes for poor customer service the accepted norm.

I have had fights for bags the last 3 times my mom flew on US/AA. These are not obscure rules. They are pretty clear.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I have had fights for bags the last 3 times my mom flew on US/AA. These are not obscure rules. They are pretty clear."

I agree with you 100% that oneworld elites should not have to fight for the benefits which AA guarantees to them. But I am not at all certain that every US employee knows all the rules. Part of the problem is that the agents rely on what their computers tell them, and I believe that they have to make an entry in the record whenever they override a fee that the computer says should be charged.

I am hopeful that the computer issues will be resolved after AA and US are fully integrated in the near future. If your Mom has to travel on AA/US again, I strongly urge that she:

1) carry a copy of the elite baggage-fee-waiver rules in hard-copy form; and

2) carry her FF membership card showing her oneworld elite status. None of this should be necessary, but it could go a long way to prevent a recurrence of these problems. If she presents a oneworld elite status card, agents cannot claim that they do not know her FFP number; if she presents a copy of the fee-waiver rule, agents will know that she knows what she is talking about, and might be less inclined to try to play games.

I also encourage her to use any special check-in line or counter available to oneworld Ruby passengers (usually the Business Class check-in line). An agent seeing a passenger on such a line should then be aware that the passenger knows her elite status, and your Mom might have a shorter wait to actually get to speak with an agent.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Not that it would have been possible, but could your mom use the kiosk with the language of her choice?

I wonder if the system when she chose 1 bag would have charged her if indeed the FFN was listed correctly.

To add, I find MCO not a great US station from the check-in perspective. They kept doing an announcement more than a few times to go to the kiosks (because they presume I was not entitled to priority). I did not move and did finally get my bags and such done.

Rasheed
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
What is Ruby? Is it the low level? high level? I've never been able to figure out or remember the US Air levels. Seems like they could have named them after sandwich meat and it would have been just as clear (turkey, ham, chicken, which is more 'valuable'?)

rbm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by randidliyo
What is Ruby? Is it the low level? high level? I've never been able to figure out or remember the US Air levels. Seems like they could have named them after sandwich meat and it would have been just as clear (turkey, ham, chicken, which is more 'valuable'?)

rbm
Hate to burst your snark bubble, but as clearly stated, the post concerns a Oneworld Ruby, which has nothing to do with "US Air levels." Oneworld status levels are gems (emerald, ruby, sapphire). When in doubt, google it.

To the OP, if the whole thing took 15 minutes and that meant she missed the flight check in cutoff, that means she was cutting it awfully close.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 5:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by randidliyo

rbm
oneworld Ruby = AAdvantage Gold, entry level status, a few paltry benefits such as 25% status bonus miles, a Business check-in, etc.

oneworld Sapphire = AAdvantage Platinum, mid level status with decent benefits including lounge access on qualifying flights, 100% status bonus miles, etc.

oneworld Emerald = AAdvantage Executive Platinum, top level status

AA Concierge Key, not a status level but better yet - includes EXP benefits regardless of how much one flies, Admirals Club membership, more goodies

I hope this is truly useful to you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.