Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dormant US airways account (and resulting loss of miles toward million-miler status)

Dormant US airways account (and resulting loss of miles toward million-miler status)

Old Aug 18, 15, 10:59 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,723
Dormant US airways account (and resulting loss of miles toward million-miler status)

I just tried to combine my US Airways Dividend Miles and AAdvantage accounts, as I did a ton of travel on US Airways in the past. The person said that because I hadn't used US Airways in awhile, that my account was "dormant" and that I have lost all of my lifetime miles. This is ALOT of miles that I flew between 1993 and 2005. They said there is nothing they can do, yet I just checked my account merely 6 months ago and it wasn't "dormant". What is going on? Have I now lost all my mileage history from U.S. Airways? No one notified me that this would happen, and the AA Rep blamed US Airways.
oenophilist is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 11:08 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Posts: 1,112
Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
I just tried to combine my US Airways Dividend Miles and AAdvantage accounts, as I did a ton of travel on US Airways in the past. The person said that because I hadn't used US Airways in awhile, that my account was "dormant" and that I have lost all of my lifetime miles. This is ALOT of miles that I flew between 1993 and 2005. They said there is nothing they can do, yet I just checked my account merely 6 months ago and it wasn't "dormant". What is going on? Have I now lost all my mileage history from U.S. Airways? No one notified me that this would happen, and the AA Rep blamed US Airways.
At least 5 years ago, US Airways had a policy for mileage expiration after 18 months with non-activity. This closely mirrors an AA policy that is quite a bit older. Basically, if you don't use, you lose.
reeg2 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 11:10 am
  #3  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,723
Originally Posted by reeg2 View Post
At least 5 years ago, US Airways had a policy for mileage expiration after 18 months with non-activity. This closely mirrors an AA policy that is quite a bit older. Basically, if you don't use, you lose.
The issue here isn't mileage expiration, it is lifetime miles. I never knew there was a lifetime miles expiration. Upon further research, apparently this isn't new:

http://elliott.org/what/a-lifetime-o...d-in-a-second/

So much for loyalty. Airline consolidation may be the worst thing to ever happen to the U.S. airline industry.

oenophilist is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 11:36 am
  #4  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,789
Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
The issue here isn't mileage expiration, it is lifetime miles. I never knew there was a lifetime miles expiration. Upon further research, apparently this isn't new:

http://elliott.org/what/a-lifetime-o...d-in-a-second/

So much for loyalty. Airline consolidation may be the worst thing to ever happen to the U.S. airline industry.

But, this pre-existed the airlines' merger.
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 11:44 am
  #5  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,723
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
But, this pre-existed the airlines' merger.
No, it pre-existed the combining of systems. Not necessarily the merger.

And for the record, I was able to access my U.S. Airways account earlier this year.

I had never heard of lifetime miles expiring. It is outrageous.
oenophilist is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 12:53 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 1,510
Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
No, it pre-existed the combining of systems. Not necessarily the merger.

And for the record, I was able to access my U.S. Airways account earlier this year.

I had never heard of lifetime miles expiring. It is outrageous.
My father had a similar experience. He had 500,000+ miles at US (pre HP merger). Needless to say none of the lifetime miles moved over to AA, which would have put him very close to the 5MM lifetime number.

How lifetime miles expire is beyond me.
imapilotaz is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 1:05 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
No, it pre-existed the combining of systems. Not necessarily the merger.
The ability for US lifetime miles to be forfeited due to account inactivity most certainly pre-dates the merger (unless you're referring to HP+US).

A quick look at the google finds discussions around this going back at least as far as 2007.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation, but there's unfortunately not much you'll be able to do. I don't recall ever seeing someone post a success story about getting their lifetime miles back, but that doesn't mean you can't ask.

Last edited by sjpmurph01; Aug 18, 15 at 1:38 pm Reason: typo
sjpmurph01 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 1:15 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,504
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01 View Post
The ability for US lifetime miles to be fortified due to account inactivity most certainly pre-dates the merger (unless you're referring to HP+US).

A quick look at the google finds discussions around this going back at least as far as 2007.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation, but there's unfortunately not much you'll be able to do. I don't recall ever seeing someone post a success story about getting their lifetime miles back, but that doesn't mean you can't ask.
I assume that you mean forfeited, not fortified.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 1:40 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Posts: 638
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I assume that you mean forfeited, not fortified.
Ha... fixed. If only there was a way to fortify one's lifetime miles... that would solve the whole problem.
sjpmurph01 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 2:09 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 5,905
Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post

So much for loyalty. Airline consolidation may be the worst thing to ever happen to the U.S. airline industry.

I find this ironic. You bemoan a lack of loyalty, yet its you who hadn't bothered to lift a finger's worth of loyalty in nearly 10 years.

Loyalty indeed!
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 3:56 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,335
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
I find this ironic. You bemoan a lack of loyalty, yet its you who hadn't bothered to lift a finger's worth of loyalty in nearly 10 years.

Loyalty indeed!
Here's a nicer way to say this, OP:

you haven't flown any in 10 years on US, so you're account mileage (and history of lifetime miles) were forfeited. If you have flown in the past 10 years but not on US, then it's not really that loyal to US, and if you haven't flown an ANYONE in the past 10 years then you're really not losing much since you're not really a frequent flyer.

Under US rules long before the merger with AA, simply logging into your account wouldn't preserve your miles. You MIGHT be able to see your account info, but that doesn't mean they changed the rules. when your account was zeroed out, there was nothing to transfer to AA, but that's not the airlines' fault, that's really yours. sorry you lost your mileage history though.
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 4:34 pm
  #12  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,723
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
Here's a nicer way to say this, OP:

you haven't flown any in 10 years on US, so you're account mileage (and history of lifetime miles) were forfeited. If you have flown in the past 10 years but not on US, then it's not really that loyal to US, and if you haven't flown an ANYONE in the past 10 years then you're really not losing much since you're not really a frequent flyer.

Under US rules long before the merger with AA, simply logging into your account wouldn't preserve your miles. You MIGHT be able to see your account info, but that doesn't mean they changed the rules. when your account was zeroed out, there was nothing to transfer to AA, but that's not the airlines' fault, that's really yours. sorry you lost your mileage history though.
You couldn't be more wrong.

It is the airline's fault and ONLY the airline's fault. Again, lifetime miles are lifetime miles. I'm quite aware that regular miles expire. They chose to make accounts dormant. After 2005 I flew US Airways often but credited things to United before US Airways moved out of Star Alliance. I am not complaining about any lost of redeemable miles (which is what most threads of the past refer to). I am complaining about the loss of the lifetime miles recognition.

I cannot believe that people are actually defending the airline for this. Then again, yes I can, there are a lot of apologists here.
oenophilist is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 5:50 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 5,905
If a person didn't bother to fly on my airline for 10 years or shop at my store for 10 years or use my credit card for 10 years, I'd probably purge them from my system as well (as I would be entitled to do).
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 8:25 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,105
Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
Again, lifetime miles are lifetime miles. I'm quite aware that regular miles expire. They chose to make accounts dormant.
But one could also look at it is:
Lifetime miles are lifetime miles as long as your account is active.
In which case, if you had realized it could work that way, you should looked into what was necessary to keep your account active.

(It may say "lifetime miles", but it doesn't say "lifetime account", does it?)

I know I'm a bit paranoid about my lifetime status, to the point that I wonder for example whether terms like "4 paid segments per year on this airline's metal" apply to lifetime status or not (until/unless it's proven or announced that they don't).

You sound like you assumed that no matter what you did, your lifetime miles/status couldn't go away. IMHO that was a bad assumption, and I came to that conclusion long before hearing your story (or anyone else's similar story).

In the world of points and miles (and lifetime miles), "assuming" can be a very dangerous thing to do, especially if you don't go through the exercise of thinking of it from the other side's (in this case the airline's) perspective.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Aug 18, 15, 8:52 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,286
Originally Posted by oenophilist View Post
You couldn't be more wrong.

It is the airline's fault and ONLY the airline's fault. Again, lifetime miles are lifetime miles. I'm quite aware that regular miles expire. They chose to make accounts dormant. After 2005 I flew US Airways often but credited things to United before US Airways moved out of Star Alliance. I am not complaining about any lost of redeemable miles (which is what most threads of the past refer to). I am complaining about the loss of the lifetime miles recognition.

I cannot believe that people are actually defending the airline for this. Then again, yes I can, there are a lot of apologists here.
I'm not too familiar with UA, *A program, so please bear with me. From 2005 you did fly US, but credited to UA. Where are the lifetime miles for those flight credited to? UA, US? If UA, then as far as US is concerned, after some time and lack of activity, you are not a FF member of their program and you account expires. Granted, other programs do offer you the opportunity to re-activate the miles, and I believe US did so as well. However, you choose not to place activity in your account. How many miles were lost, just curious.

For what is worth, just to share your pain, I have 3 certificates from TWA for a free round trip anywhere they fly that I never got around to use. I also have 1 from EAL, and 1 from ATA as well.
arollins is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: