Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dormant US airways account (and resulting loss of miles toward million-miler status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dormant US airways account (and resulting loss of miles toward million-miler status)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Wow.

May I ask how you were able to spend a mileage amount that included a fraction?
Easy, managed to get 'down under' as you know, plus helping the kids etc.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I empathize with the OP...I would *think* that lifetime miles would follow the account number forever, even if the redeemable mileage balance is zero. But AA owns the program and makes the rules completely as it sees fit, so there really is nothing anyone can do about it.

My US miles actually expired once. Over 100,000 miles...I just flat out forgot about them and only figured it out when I get an offer in the mail: sign-up for a US credit card and get all of the expired miles back. The offer allowed me to pick any level of card and get the regular sign-up bonus with that card, so it was kind of a no-brainer to do it. But I don't think that offer is around anymore, now that the programs are combined and the US credit cards are dead.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
This one is even more odd.

OP claims that all he wants to be able to do is look at a lifetime balance of X. He doesn't want to be able to use the miles and he does not expect any special perks to be conferred as a result. He just wants `the website to reflect the lifetime miles.
Incorrect, I want my lifetime miles (toward million miler status) to include all the miles that I flew and credited to both US Airways and American Airlines. As of this point, only my American Airlines miles are credited.
In that respect, he may be the only such person who wants this done. US / AA isn't going to do this because it isn't going to spend the money on IT redesign to please one customer, especially one who is affirmatively disloyal.
Incorrect on two counts. First, I am not the only person that wants this done. The AA rep indicated that other people had made the same request. Second, there is no basis to claim that I was "affirmatively disloyal". I did not avoid US Airways or AA. I had status on both US Airways and AA at one time. I was never "affirmatively disloyal". However, that is likely to change based on this experience.

I would expect that from a consumer satisfaction perspective, if AA / US maintained a little box with that # and a disclaimer that it didn't matter, that would anger rather than please others.
If you believe this then you do not understand the issue.
Even French courts aren't likely to waste their time on what amounts to a "trophy" and no more, e.g., "I was once someone and now I'm nobody (to US / AA)".
Although there certainly is some value in lifetime miles (do you deny this, if so, please give up your lifetime miles), I have never said that I wanted to take this to court. However, your character attack on me is noted.

Originally Posted by JDiver
I think it's a bit more than that, and the OP would like to resuscitate his MM balance with USDM and transfer it to AA for MM lifetime status; I doubt it's the trophy value, and I'm guessing it wasn't as high a total as he thinks, given:

He says:

The OP chose to fly US and credit his flight activity to UA.
I began crediting US Air to UA in 2005. I flew US from 1992 (when I joined Dividend Miles) to this day. Thus, the miles from 1992 to 2005 were credited to US. On what basis do you claim that 13 years of flight credit "wasn't as high a total as [I think]"?

Indeed, but I'd imagine his loyalty to United Airlines was appreciated, because there was certainly none to US for the last ten years, anyway.
So let me get this straight: loyalty is not who you fly but who you credit your miles to? Good to know.

AA does have a way of measuring value, Helix scoring ("Eagles"). The OP's Eagle score grew up and flew to the northern Mississippi around Redwing, MN eight winters ago, leaving behind three vultures to deal with the remains of his account, or at least it would have had he displayed such loyalty to AA.

I feel for the OP's upset and "buyer's remorse", but regardless: US reconsidering, well, I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen.
I don't have "buyer's remorse", I simply want to have credit for flying time earned. You are probably correct that AA will not reconsider looking up my miles from the old system. Given that, why should I spend another dollar or euro of my considerable travel budget with AA again? I know, one lost customer whose flight pattern has been inconsistent at best doesn't make much of a difference.

I am, however, rather surprised at the hostility and the character assassination that I have encountered on this thread.

In all retrospect, fully crediting my lifetime miles (or program to date miles) was a carrot to encourage me to fly more with AA. That carrot has been removed, and instead I feel a disincentive to fly AA. Given my location, it is quite easy for me to avoid flying AA altogether. I don't see how this is a win for AA.

Last edited by oenophilist; Aug 25, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
AA doesn't have "lifetime miles" They have "program to date miles". US transferred its "lifetime miles" to AAdvantage but they aren't "lifetime miles" in anything I've seen published by AA.
How is that anything more than semantics. "Program to date miles" means all the miles you have flown to date. Same as lifetime miles. And it is used for the same purpose (million mile thresholds).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oenophilist
I am, however, rather surprised at the hostility and the character assassination that I have encountered on this thread.
I'm sure
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Reading post #72, it appears...

Someone with an active US Airways account and expired AA miles had the expired miles count toward lifetime miles in the new program.

Someone with an active AA account and expired US miles did not have the expired miles count toward lifetime miles in the new program.

The new AA can have any rules it wants. But can any of the posters who have been chirping "loyalty" explain how this is consistent with their view of loyalty?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Incorrect, I want my lifetime miles (toward million miler status) to include all the miles that I flew and credited to both US Airways and American Airlines. As of this point, only my American Airlines miles are credited.

Incorrect on two counts. First, I am not the only person that wants this done. The AA rep indicated that other people had made the same request. Second, there is no basis to claim that I was "affirmatively disloyal". I did not avoid US Airways or AA. I had status on both US Airways and AA at one time. I was never "affirmatively disloyal". However, that is likely to change based on this experience.

If you believe this then you do not understand the issue.

Although there certainly is some value in lifetime miles (do you deny this, if so, please give up your lifetime miles), I have never said that I wanted to take this to court. However, your character attack on me is noted.

I began crediting US Air to UA in 2005. I flew US from 1992 (when I joined Dividend Miles) to this day. Thus, the miles from 1992 to 2005 were credited to US. On what basis do you claim that 13 years of flight credit "wasn't as high a total as [I think]"?

So let me get this straight: loyalty is not who you fly but who you credit your miles to? Good to know.

I don't have "buyer's remorse", I simply want to have credit for flying time earned. You are probably correct that AA will not reconsider looking up my miles from the old system. Given that, why should I spend another dollar or euro of my considerable travel budget with AA again? I know, one lost customer whose flight pattern has been inconsistent at best doesn't make much of a difference.

In all retrospect, fully crediting my lifetime miles (or program to date miles) was a carrot to encourage me to fly more with AA. That carrot has been removed, and instead I feel a disincentive to fly AA. Given my location, it is quite easy for me to avoid flying AA altogether. I don't see how this is a win for AA.
This is inconsistent with what you wrote in Post #39.

But, none of it matters. You've said you're firing AA as a carrier. So, whether AA would fly you in F for free or spread rose petals ahead of you as you board or whatever, is immaterial.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:32 pm

Citing the overwhelming majority of forum participants who disagree with your opinion of what AA should do with your mileage history as "character assassination" or "hostility" is an odd tactic. You just haven't made even CLOSE to a convincing case that you're right and they're wrong, as badly as you want it, and after 82 posts in this thread going round and round.

You'd be better off spending your energy lobbying AA, not trying to convince third parties you're correct and we're wrong. As JDiver said about them reconsidering, "pretty sure that's not going to happen."

(I promised myself enough with this thread but the drama is too fascinating to stop watching.)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Indeed, but I'd imagine his loyalty to United Airlines was appreciated, because there was certainly none to US for the last ten years, anyway.
Not exactly, but flying US and crediting UA, you got the convenience and benefit of flying US, but you got your credit - and "loyalty" - from UA. Seemingly, you want a kind of "loyalty double dipping".

Why else do you think AA has a rule that requires one to fly four AA (or US, currently) coded, paid, credited to AA, segments per year? Precisely because of loyalty issues. Folks were flying oneworld and crediting to AA to earn AAdvantage status without ever flying an AA flight.

There's a parallel there; that's not "loyalty", either.

It's perhaps akin to going to Best Buy to learn, see and feel before buying from Amazon, and telling others how frequently you go to Best Buy, no?

You think US will somehow change and allow you credit for those lifetime miles? They're the ones you'll need to communicate with and convince, not us. But perhaps some of what you've read here will let you craft a good "schpiel" that will convince them that, though you've been absent as a US flyer for ten years, they really should give your defunct lifetime miles some CPR and transfer them to the AA Million Miler program.

We certainly bear no one ill will toward anyone for trying to convince an airline to fulfill their wishes here on FlyerTalk! Shoot, we darn near burn copal and myrrh to members like Pudding Guy (who got millions of miles from AA by an ingenious plan involving miles coupons on products like chocolate pudding cups) and some of his lot, like FewMiles (who 15 years ago asked about doing a challenge and put all the information about that and a lot of unpublished AA material for everyone's perusal),

Uh, when was that? I'd say you've had some disagreement, even strong disagreement, with your perspective and the vehemence with which you express it, but "character assassination" and hostility? You should inform the Moderators... it's the little triangular white, red-edged sign with a black exclamation point to the left of every post. Though at least one is aware of this thread.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EP
To the OP:

I think we all are aware of your frustration with AA -- and probably the responses that you have received here.

The net of it is that you are not alone. There appears to have been quite a few people that have lost million miler credits if their account was inactive at the time of the FF integration. But, it is what it is. None of is here have a magic button that we can push to give you credit.

Your future actions are 100% to you. You can continue to fight AA (please come back if you are able to change their minds minds). You can choose to not fly AA going forward (hence the issue is moot then). And/Or you can take it as a learning that FF accounts need to be managed and remain active.

It's been a good discussion but there is no more to come of this at this point, IMHO.

Best of luck in your decision making!

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Aug 26, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
OP, while I feel bad for your situation, I think a major reason you are not getting support on this is that you assumed that US LT miles do not expire. On the other hand, I find FT to be predominantly people who don't make assumptions, particularly when it comes to large mileage balances. I, for one, researched the US LT guidelines a number of years ago when my travel changed and no longer flew US frequently and took the appropriate steps to keep my account active.

So when you post "I feel I've been wronged" it is no surprise to me that you hear a lot of "these are the facts" which I do not consider personal attacks on you.

Best of luck finding whatever course of action you elect to take.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:55 pm
HMO

You should inform the Moderators...
I think he need to contact senior mods in this case...

Last edited by HMO; Aug 25, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This is inconsistent with what you wrote in Post #39.

No it isn't. While yes, I said I wanted to "see" my lifetime miles, it is because lifetime miles have significance toward million miler status. I never said I was looking for redeemable miles.

But, none of it matters. You've said you're firing AA as a carrier. So, whether AA would fly you in F for free or spread rose petals ahead of you as you board or whatever, is immaterial.
Nope, it isn't immaterial, but nice strawman!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Citing the overwhelming majority of forum participants who disagree with your opinion of what AA should do with your mileage history as "character assassination" or "hostility" is an odd tactic. You just haven't made even CLOSE to a convincing case that you're right and they're wrong, as badly as you want it, and after 82 posts in this thread going round and round.

You'd be better off spending your energy lobbying AA, not trying to convince third parties you're correct and we're wrong. As JDiver said about them reconsidering, "pretty sure that's not going to happen."

(I promised myself enough with this thread but the drama is too fascinating to stop watching.)
First, there are lots of people on the thread that have agreed with my position. The character assassination isn't disagreement, it is claiming things about me that are untrue or claiming false motivations as to my intent. That has been done repeatedly.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

But perhaps some of what you've read here will let you craft a good "schpiel" that will convince them that, though you've been absent as a US flyer for ten years, they really should give your defunct lifetime miles some CPR and transfer them to the AA Million Miler program.
Uh, when was that? I'd say you've had some disagreement, even strong disagreement, with your perspective and the vehemence with which you express it, but "character assassination" and hostility? You should inform the Moderators... it's the little triangular white, red-edged sign with a black exclamation point to the left of every post. Though at least one is aware of this thread.
My bolding. This is what I mean by character assassination. The bolded statement is false. I have repeatedly stated, and you have acknowledged, that I have flown US Airways in the past ten years. And yet you repeat the claim that I have been absent as a US flyer for the past ten years. It isn't true. And if you read my posts, you know it isn't true. So why do you repeat it? The only possible reason is to deride my character in order to bolster your position.

And only one person on this entire thread has recognized that there is NO stated policy regarding lifetime miles expiration for AA. As far as I am aware, there was no stated policy regarding lifetime miles expiration at US. So repeating that I was simply unaware of the policy holds no water.

Last edited by oenophilist; Aug 25, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.