Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Hi guys, flying tomorrow on the 772 with 45 biz seats. Myself and a family member. We are currently in 9A and 9D, but would we be better in a different set of seats? Lots available, such as 1 D/H, 5 A/D/H, 8 D/H, 12 D/H.

Thanks!

edit: based on a quick review of the thread (albeit, posts from 3 years ago), I have moved us to 1D and 1H, primarily because of the seat rocking. Nevertheless, any biz seat is better than our old coach seats, so we'll be fine. Thanks FT fam.

Last edited by infinite97; Oct 9, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by infinite97
Hi guys, flying tomorrow on the 772 with 45 biz seats. Myself and a family member. We are currently in 9A and 9D, but would we be better in a different set of seats? Lots available, such as 1 D/H, 5 A/D/H, 8 D/H, 12 D/H.

Thanks!

edit: based on a quick review of the thread (albeit, posts from 3 years ago), I have moved us to 1D and 1H, primarily because of the seat rocking. Nevertheless, any biz seat is better than our old coach seats, so we'll be fine. Thanks FT fam.
Great seats. No motion issues, and in the front of the plane. It's quiet up there.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:26 am

I'm flying AA 912 SCL-MIA on November 3rd. This appears to be V4 with the Zodiac rocking seats? I choose seat 7A. This should be detached and not rock correct?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I noticed that AA 109 - LAX-LHR still - the daily 772 flight doesn't sell Premium and uses the 45J config. However they seem to EVERY day hold back 8 seats in C from sale (or release to upgrades). Also noticed this flight doesn't get the aircraft/tail number assigned in Flight Stats until 1hr 30 min before departure though Flightradar24 shows it earlier but I've seen subs happen where there data changes. Is there a worry that a substitution to a 37J config is going to happen so they want to avoid a downgrade scenario for those in Paid Biz? On this flight later this week and noticed that the upgrade list clears nearly all but its J0 and C0 2 days out normally with about 8+ seats unassigned even showing the same 8 seats unassigned till right near boarding and then they are gone and all upgrades clear. Anyone have insight if 772's on 45J routes are withholding seats in Biz now in case of a swap to a 35J aircraft?

Last edited by NickP 1K; Oct 18, 2018 at 9:49 am
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I don't know if that's the reason, but it would seem to make sense, and I've noticed similar behavior for another route with 772 45J config that I'm still on the waitlist for. Assuming that AA won't clear upgrades until last minute, I can't decide if this practice helps or hurts my chances.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by econometrics
This really is confusing, so no worries... let me explain...

AA has 47 777-200ER (772) planes flying.

12 of them have 45 biz seats (45J), and fly almost exclusively from LAX, JFK and RDU. They have Zodiac forward/rear facing seats.

35 of them have 37 biz seats (37J) and fly through all the hubs with 772 routes.

Of the 35 with 37J...

28 have Super Diamond seats

7 have Zodiac seats.

***Note that probably around the beginning of 2019, AA will refit the final 12 45J Zodiac planes down to 37J Zodiacs.
This post really should be in the wiki... I'm going to add it and clear out all the clutter and outdated info in the wiki.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
This post really should be in the wiki... I'm going to add it and clear out all the clutter and outdated info in the wiki.
Thank you. Just note that now, here is the updated info (as of 7 Nov 2018):

AA has 47 777-200ER (772) planes flying.

5 of them have 45 biz seats (45J), and fly almost exclusively from LAX, JFK and RDU. They have Zodiac forward/rear facing seats.

40 of them have 37 biz seats (37J) and fly through all the hubs with 772 routes. (2 are at KPAE getting refit as of 7 Nov)

Of the 40 with 37J...

28 have Super Diamond seats

14 have Zodiac seats. (16, if you include the 2 being refit at KPAE)
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Updated wiki with current info. Thanks econometrics ^
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
My BF & I are scheduled to fly DFW-HNL in the next few weeks and have had middle seats in First class (5D & 5H) since we booked in August. Today I looked and his 5D seat was switched to 5L across the aisle from me. How easy is it to converse across the aisle in these seats vs the two middle seats? We'll probably watch movies and nap during most of the flight so not a huge deal....just annoying to be moved without a heads up.

We are on two separate record locators so maybe that's why he was chosen to be moved from a middle seat...as maybe whoever moved him figured he wouldn't care. But it's still annoying.

I'm assuming we were moved for either a FAM or someone with a higher Eagle rating than my current 0.0

Last edited by chicago747; Nov 26, 2018 at 2:36 pm
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
I noticed that AA 109 - LAX-LHR still - the daily 772 flight doesn't sell Premium and uses the 45J config. However they seem to EVERY day hold back 8 seats in C from sale (or release to upgrades). Also noticed this flight doesn't get the aircraft/tail number assigned in Flight Stats until 1hr 30 min before departure though Flightradar24 shows it earlier but I've seen subs happen where there data changes. Is there a worry that a substitution to a 37J config is going to happen so they want to avoid a downgrade scenario for those in Paid Biz? On this flight later this week and noticed that the upgrade list clears nearly all but its J0 and C0 2 days out normally with about 8+ seats unassigned even showing the same 8 seats unassigned till right near boarding and then they are gone and all upgrades clear. Anyone have insight if 772's on 45J routes are withholding seats in Biz now in case of a swap to a 35J aircraft?
Yes, that's correct. The upside to this is that the MCE people in rows 13-15 then get placed into the PE cabin (rows 13-15) but MCE service. So, the elites that booked MCE and tried to UPG but didn't get it (due to 8 fewer J seats) at least get a free bump to the PE seats.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I hope this hasn't been answered in one of the other 565 posts. My wife and I will be traveling DFW-FRA on a 772. All future seat maps show all J seats facing forward. But I understand that close to departure date they can substitute a 777 with the Zodiac seats, half of which are rear facing. I want to select seats that are guaranteed to be forward facing, regardless of the configuration and ones that will not be subject to the rocking. We've been together for 35 years so we can sit apart for 10 hours. Want window seats only. Can anyone recommend which J seats I should reserve for us? Thanks.
MKfly likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I hope this hasn't been answered in one of the other 565 posts. My wife and I will be traveling DFW-FRA on a 772. All future seat maps show all J seats facing forward. But I understand that close to departure date they can substitute a 777 with the Zodiac seats, half of which are rear facing. I want to select seats that are guaranteed to be forward facing, regardless of the configuration and ones that will not be subject to the rocking. We've been together for 35 years so we can sit apart for 10 hours. Want window seats only. Can anyone recommend which J seats I should reserve for us? Thanks.
772 will have 2 business class cabins regardless of configuration. Forward cabin are rows 1-6 and second
Cabin rows 7-10.
To ensure you will have window forward facing seat pick in forward cabin pick 2A, 4A, 1L, 3L, 5L.
Second mini cabin row 7-10: pick any EVEN numbered window seat.

Last edited by gateH15; Dec 6, 2018 at 7:23 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by gateH15

772 will have 2 business class cabins regardless of configuration. Forward cabin are rows 1-6 and second
Cabin rows 7-10.
To ensure you will have window forward facing seat pick in forward cabin pick 2A, 4A, 1L, 3L, 5L.
Second mini cabin row 7-10: pick any EVEN numbered window seat.
Are all those seats (on aircraft with the Zodiac seats) subject to the "rocking" problem?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Are all those seats (on aircraft with the Zodiac seats) subject to the "rocking" problem?
I can only tell you about 787-8 seats that are not rocking. Never seen any info on 772. I assume rear facing 6L maybe the only one that is not attached to anyother seat. I could be wrong
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
I booked DFW-KOA on 772 with 37J. Two kids, two adults. I picked the row 8, kids get the windows and adults are in the middle - is this a good choice?
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.