Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having flown UA's reverse J (2008 vintage), I actually never found any difference between facing forward or backward. The train experience is different in that you have fixed points outside the window that allow one to gauge the direction of travel; this doesn't happen on a plane.

I'm going to be flying this 77D for the first time, and I'm not looking forward to it at all. (1) I'm a stomach sleeper, so shoulder/head space is highly valued and (2) I'm a light sleeper, so the movement of whomever's seat is connected to mine should be fun. Great job on this seat, AA.

Note: I'm hoping to SDC onto a 77W - that J seat is perfect, IMHO.

Anyway, for the most head/shoulder space in bed mode, it sounds like a forward-facing seat is optimal. Fair assessment?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
[QUOTE=UNITED959;26082671] and (2) I'm a light sleeper, so the movement of whomever's seat is connected to mine should be fun.QUOTE]

I believe the following seats are not connected to any other, so eliminates the "neighbor movement" concern:

1 A, D, H
7 A, D, H, L
12 A, D, H, L
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bosman

I believe the following seats are not connected to any other, so eliminates the "neighbor movement" concern:

1 A, D, H
7 A, D, H, L
12 A, D, H, L
Thanks for that -- just nabbed 12L. I realize it's close to Y, but the plane is really empty so shouldn't be bad. On the return, I'm trying out a backwards facing seat -- sleep is less important to me then, but at least I can evaluate.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
6L - avoid!

Flew the 45J configuration in J (JFK-GIG), and initially selected 6L, as this was supposedly the most private seat in the cabin.
Worst seat on the plane, and should be avoided at all costs. Anyone sitting there looks directly into the main galley (and anyone in the galley looks directly in the face of the passengers in that seat).
There is a curtain between the galley and the aisle that gets drawn closed after meal service, but that does nothing to prevent noise, smell and light (the lights in the galley stay on at all times) emanating from there. Sleeping will be short of impossible for all but the most insensitive of passengers, even with earbuds and eye mask deployed.
Combined with the lavatory this seat borders on, plus the seat moving around whenever the passengers in 5L operate their seat controls, anyone seated in 6L is in for a decidedly un-premium flight experience.
I knew something was wrong right as we boarded - the crew member asking which seat we were in at the door approached me right at boarding and offered to find another seat even though we weren't even seated there yet.

Passengers with animals should beware of these seats as well (not limited to 6L, they all are the same, including the bulkheads).
I do fly with a service dog, and these seats are not well suited for her to comfortably lie on the floor as well. There's a two-inch high 'divider' under the footrest that serves no apparent purpose, making the space under it practically inaccessible (it's also too small to put a carrier there).
Also, reclining the seat requires it moving forward as well, which further diminishes available space. Anyone with an animal larger than the smallest of dog breeds will find it too cramped.

Going forward, I will avoid booking business class on these aircraft and rather buy two MCE seats when traveling with my dog unless the load is so light that she can get her own seat - which we ended up with on this flight (ended up in 8H & L - the flight was very empty, only three other passengers besides us in the rear cabin)
Can't wait for premium economy to arrive.

Last edited by bhomburg; Jan 26, 2016 at 7:43 am
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:47 am

From what I've read, the forward facing seats on the 787 have the divider down (or don't need one due to seat position) whilst the backwards facing seats have them up. Is this the same on the 77D? I've flown it several times, but I've always done window and never really checked.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
On the 77D, it's the same in the rear cabin (forward facing:divider up, rear-facing: divider down) and the other way around in the forward cabin: odd-numbered rows (forward-facing) have the divider up, even-numbered (rear-facing) rows have it down. Crew was clueless as to when the moving mechanism would be available.

Last edited by bhomburg; Jan 26, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
[QUOTE=bosman;26082775]
Originally Posted by UNITED959
and (2) I'm a light sleeper, so the movement of whomever's seat is connected to mine should be fun.QUOTE]

1 A, D, H
7 A, D, H, L
12 A, D, H, L
Ty sir. Have my first 772 refurb flight coming up, snagged 7L (love rear facing seats!)
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis

Ty sir. Have my first 772 refurb flight coming up, snagged 7L (love rear facing seats!)
Hope you don't mind the missing window. I've flown 7A/L twice now and though I do like the seat (rear-facing and no seat movement issue) I'm going to avoid it on daytime flights, as it's too strenuous to look outside. When the seat is in upright position, it's almost impossible to look outside.

Last edited by Djokison; Jan 29, 2016 at 3:05 pm Reason: Formatting issue with Quote.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bhomburg
On the 77D, it's the same in the rear cabin (forward facing:divider up, rear-facing: divider down) and the other way around in the forward cabin: odd-numbered rows (forward-facing) have the divider up, even-numbered (rear-facing) rows have it down. Crew was clueless as to when the moving mechanism would be available.
Thanks for posting this!! I can't believe it's so complex and not posted anywhere else like aa.com or seatguru. So if we're traveling as a couple, and the forward cabin is full, our best bet is rear-facing seats so the divider is down? Forward facing we wouldn't be able to talk to each other?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Thanks for posting this!! I can't believe it's so complex and not posted anywhere else like aa.com or seatguru. So if we're traveling as a couple, and the forward cabin is full, our best bet is rear-facing seats so the divider is down? Forward facing we wouldn't be able to talk to each other?
Also have the same question. Right now have two seats in the rear facing row 1, center seats for March. I never knew the dividers couldn't be easily lowered!

Edit: from this trip report, looks like indeed the rear facing (the seatbacks that are closest to each other) are raised as of 2014. I guess the best bet would be to book in the rear cabin as you will have the divider down in the rear facing (and those seatbacks are the closest in proximity). Anyone have any updates on this situation -- if the divider can be lowered? Thanks.

Last edited by supermintyfresh; Jan 28, 2016 at 5:23 pm
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=bosman;26082775]
Originally Posted by UNITED959
and (2) I'm a light sleeper, so the movement of whomever's seat is connected to mine should be fun.QUOTE]

1 A, D, H
7 A, D, H, L
12 A, D, H, L
Originally Posted by Djokison
Hope you don't mind the missing window. I've flown 7A/L twice now and though I do like the seat (rear-facing and no seat movement issue) I'm going to avoid it on daytime flights, as it's too strenuous to look outside. When the seat is in upright position, it's almost impossible to look outside.
Just took advantage of the wide open availability to change the date/time for 3 of us traveling to EDI via LHR. Was previously on a 77W but now the 77D on AA 104 so trying to optimize seats for the 77D.

Given that it's a redeye I'm hoping that we can all get a couple hours of sleep so it seems like one of those 3 sets would be the best to avoid "neighbor movement" and at least for me the goal is sleep (don't really care about missing window, dinner/breakfast, etc., given the timing).

All 3 sets are available right now, is there a preference? Where is all the activity occurring for breakfast since I imagine that would make either row 1 or row 7 less preferable?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
All 3 sets are available right now, is there a preference? Where is all the activity occurring for breakfast since I imagine that would make either row 1 or row 7 less preferable?
Ah, that's the beauty of row 7. It's not adjacent to the lavatory nor the galley. "Behind" the 7A/L (so towards the front, planewise) are exit doors and walk up bar. I found the seats to be quiet, no issues and definitely recommend them for overnight flights (where windows don't really matter.)
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:52 pm

Huh?

1) The AA seatmap for the 77D shows the odd-numbered seats in the forward cabin as backward-facing, while the even-numbered seats are forward-facing. Opposite of what you stated.

2) So, all forward-facing seats have divider up and all rear-facing seats have divider down? If that's so, I'm not sure what you meant by it being "the other way around in the forward cabin."

In any event, can someone clarify? I will be flying as a couple on the 77D, and it seems like my best bet is two rear-facing seats in the rear cabin, but would like to clarify.

(As an aside, how the hell did AA release a biz class seat where the dividers can't be put down?)

Last edited by thexfactor; Jan 31, 2016 at 4:11 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:46 pm

Are you sure?

AA's twitter account claims "the forward facing seats have a sliding divider. The rear facing ones don't, because your angled towards the aisle, and customer heads are much closer together".
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:37 pm

Are there differences between the high J and low J configurations other than several rows being missing? I'm flying CDG-MIA with my girlfriend and am trying to figure out the best seats in J based on the comments here, which seem mostly about high J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.