Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:00 am

Help. Please.
I have been reading all types of articles, been to the AA seat map, PointsGuy, Seat Guru, and FlightTracker 24 (which I did not at all understand). Of course I'm trying to figure out the Zodiac or B/E seats for our currently #1 flight preference. (I wanted to paste the seat map from AA, but it's too large/requires multiple scrolls)
Thurs., May 23
MIA-BCN (flying in from IND to get to MIA specifically for Flagship lounge)
Departure 6:05pm on 777 (772)
AA seat map shows 2 business class sections in 1+2+1 configuration (5 rows+1 seat in 6th row in front; 4 rows in back; has 4 rows of PE)
No seats have the little triangle notch indicating backward facing.
Thoughts?

Our #2 choice is A330 through PHL on AA
Out #3 choice is 777-200 (2+4+2) through EWR on United (I flew this plane on last year's trip to Rome. While I thought it was pretty good, now that I see what else is out there, I'm looking for a better experience for my $$$.)
Recommendations welcomed. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by GuardMusic
Help. Please.
I have been reading all types of articles, been to the AA seat map, PointsGuy, Seat Guru, and FlightTracker 24 (which I did not at all understand). Of course I'm trying to figure out the Zodiac or B/E seats for our currently #1 flight preference. (I wanted to paste the seat map from AA, but it's too large/requires multiple scrolls)
Thurs., May 23
AA seat map shows 2 business class sections in 1+2+1 configuration (5 rows+1 seat in 6th row in front; 4 rows in back; has 4 rows of PE)
Thoughts?

Out #3 choice is 777-200 (2+4+2) through EWR on United (I flew this plane on last year's trip to Rome. While I thought it was pretty good, now that I see what else is out there, I'm looking for a better experience for my $$$.)
You will have one of two seat configurations on this flight...

1. A all-forward facing Super Diamond seat. Like THIS.
2. A forward/rear facing variant Zodiac seat. Like THIS.

You will not know which of these seats you will have until around 24 hours before departure at the earliest... but it can change right up until a couple of hours before boarding.

Statistically, however, you have an 80% chance of having the #1 seat variant, due to 28 of AA's 37 biz seat 777-200ER's having this seat out of a current 35 total planes.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GuardMusic
Help. Please.
Thurs., May 23
Thoughts?

The seatmap you're seeing for MIA-BCN is the B/E seatmap.

However, May 2019 is still eons away in the airline world. For flights that far out, AA is displaying the 37J B/E seatmap for all 772 routes as a placeholder essentially. Even routes like JFK/LAX/RDU-LHR, that have historically seen almost 100% 45J Zodiac, show the 37J B/E seatmaps for flights that far out in the future.

That said, MIA-Europe 772 routes typically see lots of B/E 772s, so your odds are still good, however it's still far from guaranteed this far in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:41 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by econometrics

You will not know which of these seats you will have until around 24 hours before departure at the earliest... but it can change right up until a couple of hours before boarding.

Statistically, however, you have an 80% chance of having the #1 seat variant, due to 28 of AA's 37 biz seat 777-200ER's having this seat out of a current 35 total planes.
THANK YOU!!!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA LifeTime Gold

You note that our chances are 28 out of 37 to get the B-E Seats. I have a question. i know you can explain this. I thought I read somewhere above that there were 18 or 19 Zodiac planes out of 47 aircraft? That info might be outdated now but I know you know the latest information. It concerns me because the list of tail numbers I printed out shows 47 planes and 18 or 19 have Zodiac seats. Is there an accurate chart in the Wiki that's kept up to date? or was it flightradar24 that has the best up-to -date list? I don't remember.

Oh and thanks for the links to the pictures showing the actual seats on the planes. I haven't seen those pictures posted anywhere -- they must be from your own collection.

BTW do you think that passengers heads would be about 8 ft apart on the middle (D & H seats) on the B-E planes? That's about what it looks like on your picture to me but I think the overall width of the pictures is sometimes reduced to make the picture fit the page and that might distort the true width if you understand what I mean.

Last edited by Happyfeet; Jul 9, 2018 at 9:47 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Happyfeet

You note that our chances are 28 out of 37 to get the B-E Seats. I have a question. i know you can explain this. I thought I read somewhere above that there were 18 or 19 Zodiac planes out of 47 aircraft? That info might be outdated now but I know you know the latest information. It concerns me because the list of tail numbers I printed out shows 47 planes and 18 or 19 have Zodiac seats. Is there an accurate chart in the Wiki that's kept up to date? or was it flightradar24 that has the best up-to -date list? I don't remember.
This really is confusing, so no worries... let me explain...

AA has 47 777-200ER (772) planes flying.

12 of them have 45 biz seats (45J), and fly almost exclusively from LAX, JFK and RDU. They have Zodiac forward/rear facing seats.

35 of them have 37 biz seats (37J) and fly through all the hubs with 772 routes.

Of the 35 with 37J...

28 have Super Diamond seats

7 have Zodiac seats.

***Note that probably around the beginning of 2019, AA will refit the final 12 45J Zodiac planes down to 37J Zodiacs.

Oh and thanks for the links to the pictures showing the actual seats on the planes. I haven't seen those pictures posted anywhere -- they must be from your own collection.

BTW do you think that passengers heads would be about 8 ft apart on the middle (D & H seats) on the B-E planes? That's about what it looks like on your picture to me but I think the overall width of the pictures is sometimes reduced to make the picture fit the page and that might distort the true width if you understand what I mean.
I would guess it is more like 6 feet apart. You have to lean forward to speak to one another, but not as far as on the 77W.

Last edited by econometrics; Jul 9, 2018 at 10:04 am
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:18 pm

This really is confusing, so no worries... let me explain...

AA has 47 777-200ER (772) planes flying.

12 of them have 45 biz seats (45J), and fly almost exclusively from LAX, JFK and RDU. They have Zodiac forward/rear facing seats.

35 of them have 37 biz seats (37J) and fly through all the hubs with 772 routes.

Of the 35 with 37J...

28 have Super Diamond seats

7 have Zodiac seats.

***Note that probably around the beginning of 2019, AA will refit the final 12 45J Zodiac planes down to 37J Zodiacs.
So the percentage of 772 Zodiac seat planes will slowly increase after Jan 2019 until eventually 19 of 47 would have Zodiac Seats. That's about a 40% chance. So there's no reason not to believe that eventually about 40% of the 772 planes flying the HNL - DFW route would have Zodiac seats. Correct? Also the tail number chart I have showing 47 -- 772 aircraft will stay accurate during the modification time period and I can trust it.

Heads six ft apart means I shouldn't have too much trouble talking to my wife on that flight. -- and I should pick the rear facing seats (like row 3, D& H) in case we end up on a Zodiac Plane.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:13 am

So the percentage of 772 Zodiac seat planes will slowly increase after Jan 2019 until eventually 19 of 47 would have Zodiac Seats. That's about a 40% chance. So there's no reason not to believe that eventually about 40% of the 772 planes flying the HNL - DFW route would have Zodiac seats. Correct? Also the tail number chart I have showing 47 -- 772 aircraft will stay accurate during the modification time period and I can trust it.
Correct and correct.

Heads six ft apart means I shouldn't have too much trouble talking to my wife on that flight. -- and I should pick the rear facing seats (like row 3, D& H) in case we end up on a Zodiac Plane.
I would.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:13 am

Correct and correct.

I would.
econometrics

Thanks for all you do for everyone with questions about this unique situation -- where even AA doesn't know what the seat map will look like for a plane they will be flying until a few hours before the flight. I don't think this situation occurs for AA or any of the common domestic carriers for any other flights..

I hope you don't feel too overworked!

Happyfeet

Last edited by Happyfeet; Jul 11, 2018 at 3:39 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:24 am

econometrics

Thanks for all you do for everyone with questions about this unique situation -- where even AA doesn't know what the seat map will look like for plane they will be flying until a few hours before the flight. I don't think this situation occurs for AA or any of the common domestic carriers for any other flights..

I hope you don't feel too overworked!

Happyfeet
Thanks for the kind words! It's my pleasure, as I have personally gleaned a plethora of information from this forum, which has helped me to have an immensely better traveling experience. Just paying it forward. ^
miles4CDG and pmd5700 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:31 am

I'm sure this information will only be helpful to a really small group of people but it's interesting none the less. I've been tracking a particular AA 777-200 flight, AA119 DFW > OGG, since I'm taking the same flight in October and I want to see what my odds are on getting B/E vs. Zodiac. I've been tracking it via flightradar24 since January 8. I'm missing data from February 14 through March 12 since I hadn't kept up with it for a while and couldn't go back in time any farther when I picked it back up.

The Data:
  • As of today, I have tracked 158 iterations of AA119.
  • 27 have had Zodiac seats, 131 have had B/E. That's ~17% chance of getting Zodiac.
  • Odds per Day
    • Monday - 7 Zodiacs (4.4%)
    • Tuesday - 2 Zodiacs (1.3%)
    • Wednesday - 6 Zodiacs (3.8%)
    • Thursday - 3 Zodiacs (1.9%)
    • Friday - 4 Zodiacs (2.5%)
    • Saturday - 1 Zodiac (0.6%)
    • Sunday - 4 Zodiacs (2.5%)
  • Odds per Zodiac Tail Number
    • N770AN - 1 (0.6%)
    • N774AN - 4 (2.5%)
    • N779AN - 4 (2.5%)
    • N781AN - 7 (4.4%)
    • N782AN - 8 (5.1%)
    • N788AN - 1 (0.6%)
    • N752AN - 2 (1.3%)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by pmd5700
I'm sure this information will only be helpful to a really small group of people but it's interesting none the less. I've been tracking a particular AA 777-200 flight, AA119 DFW > OGG, since I'm taking the same flight in October and I want to see what my odds are on getting B/E vs. Zodiac. I've been tracking it via flightradar24 since January 8. I'm missing data from February 14 through March 12 since I hadn't kept up with it for a while and couldn't go back in time any farther when I picked it back up.

The Data:
  • As of today, I have tracked 158 iterations of AA119.
  • 27 have had Zodiac seats, 131 have had B/E. That's ~17% chance of getting Zodiac.
  • Odds per Day
    • Monday - 7 Zodiacs (4.4%)
    • Tuesday - 2 Zodiacs (1.3%)
    • Wednesday - 6 Zodiacs (3.8%)
    • Thursday - 3 Zodiacs (1.9%)
    • Friday - 4 Zodiacs (2.5%)
    • Saturday - 1 Zodiac (0.6%)
    • Sunday - 4 Zodiacs (2.5%)
  • Odds per Zodiac Tail Number
    • N770AN - 1 (0.6%)
    • N774AN - 4 (2.5%)
    • N779AN - 4 (2.5%)
    • N781AN - 7 (4.4%)
    • N782AN - 8 (5.1%)
    • N788AN - 1 (0.6%)
    • N752AN - 2 (1.3%)
17% were the planes that have the Zodiac Seats. That's very close to the 20% average figure econometrics uses for his best guess at your chances of getting a Zodiac plane -- from his posts above. Also I notice that all 7 of the Zodiac planes are on your list -- so it looks like they all get to vacation in Hawaii at one time or another. I also thought there might be a pattern also where the same tail numbers keep repeating the same routes but it doesn't really look that way does it? So I would have to conclude that the results are "Random" and there really isn't much we can learn by collecting more data -- but I appreciate the effort --none the less!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:32 am

Hi,

Regular BAEC flyer, first time doing long-haul with AA in J next week.

I'm booked on a JFK-LHR service which I'm pretty clear will be a 45J Zodiac configuration. I'd have a preference for a window seat but at the moment seat map is showing nothing available. Expertflyer, though, is showing 1A as blocked rather than occupied. Is this blocked for premium pax (Exec Plat?), and if so any idea if it's possible to request it as a OWE?

Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:11 am

They like to block 1A or 1L for crew rest. Not sure what dictates which one though.
jk156 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:28 am

17% were the planes that have the Zodiac Seats. That's very close to the 20% average figure econometrics uses for his best guess at your chances of getting a Zodiac plane -- from his posts above. Also I notice that all 7 of the Zodiac planes are on your list -- so it looks like they all get to vacation in Hawaii at one time or another. I also thought there might be a pattern also where the same tail numbers keep repeating the same routes but it doesn't really look that way does it? So I would have to conclude that the results are "Random" and there really isn't much we can learn by collecting more data -- but I appreciate the effort --none the less!
I would say the results are more or less random. N781AN and N782An definitely show up more often (nearly twice as much as the others) but probably not super conclusive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.