Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
1L?

Any thoughts on 1L?

Looks like my beloved AA104 will be using this plane in January so I need to find a seat.

Someone on seatguru suggested 1L and said they don't prepare meals in the forward galley so noise isn't an issue.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Trying to pick a seat on the GIG-JFK flight. The entire forward cabin is full except for 5A and one middle seat. 7L in the rear cabin is open. Both are rear facing (which is my preference). Both are near head and galley. Any insights as to whether one is better than the other? If I understand correctly 7L is not connected to 8L so it would avoid the movement problem I have experienced.

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
Trying to pick a seat on the GIG-JFK flight. The entire forward cabin is full except for 5A and one middle seat. 7L in the rear cabin is open. Both are rear facing (which is my preference). Both are near head and galley. Any insights as to whether one is better than the other? If I understand correctly 7L is not connected to 8L so it would avoid the movement problem I have experienced.

Thanks for any help.
What is the movement problem? Is 1A also not connected (similar to 7L)?

Last edited by Jish; Oct 22, 2015 at 10:47 am
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
I'd also appreciate feedback on 1L (versus maybe 2L, or farther back in the cabin). I'll be a solo traveler, night flight.

Right now, only 2A is taken, so I have almost full range to choose from. I've always liked the rear-facing seats in Club World (my only experience, however, is on the upper deck). I've read TokinaMaso's very helpful trip report, and it seems the extra table space might make the rear-facing seats better.

I've never flown AA in long-haul business, but I have flights on the 77W, 763, and 77D coming up in the next few months. I'm curious to see how much the product varies.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960

Thanks for any help.
I've flown 7A. Seat is good as there's no movement felt, since there's no seat behind you. No noise issues either, as it's not immediately adjacent to a galley nor lavatory. The missing window is a bit of a bummer, though. That was quite a turnoff for me.

Originally Posted by Jish
What is the movement problem? Is 1A also not connected (similar to 7L)?
When the passenger seated behind you (back towards yours) moves, you can feel it it through the seat. It's quite annoying and a major flaw with these seats. 1ADH, 7AL and 12AL do not have a seat behind them and thus do not have this problem.

Last edited by Djokison; Oct 25, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Impressions after an MIA-GIG r/t

Just home yesterday after a chance to try the 772 CIP in J. Flew MIA-GIG / GIG-MIA (connecting, originating MSP). My partner and I were in 3L/4L for both GIG flights. We each tried fwd/backwd for one segment. I decided I liked fwd, he liked backwards better, so as with most things, it's personal preference.

Overall impressions: It is a bit cozy. At 6'2" it was too short in full-flat for me. Yet my partner, who is also 6'2", thought it was OK. But he is a back sleeper, I'm not, so that matters. The foot space is very tight, and he doesn't mind a footboard with feet straight, flat to the wall. I want space for my feet to be free. I felt the forward suite had more shoulder room, I liked the big triangle armrest (and that it lowered), and while the windows are farther away in the fwd seat, it was easier to look out. My recollection was that the bkwd seat sort of lacked a right arm rest, and felt tight around the right shoulder when sitting up/reclining. My partner much preferred his head being away from the aisle in the bkwd seat.

So far, across several J products on different airlines, I've always had better luck sleeping in a Z-lounge position, and this seat wasn't ideal for that, either. The ottoman is really small, my toes bumped the walls of the small foot-space. I futzed with the leg rest angle a lot to get just the right support + foot position to relax for IFW watching or sleeping.

Cushioning was fine for sitting, back sleeping and Z-lounging. Too firm for my one try at side sleeping each direction, my shoulder was unhappy in less than 20 mins. I really hated trying to side-sleep in the bkwd seat - that felt just too confining, the fwd seat was better but ultimately futile for me to side-sleep in either seat/segment.

We did notice a lot of transfer of motion between the two seats. I was glad that at least in the 3L/4L pair, we're feeling each other's motion and not random people. I can't say why that bothers me less, but I'd have felt worse getting up at night (which I do to stretch, snack, use the lav - I'm a restless traveler) if I was causing a stranger to bob up and down. Both flights had a lot of moderate chop so I thought about getting up during the rougher parts to mask the motion (fyi, seatbelt light stayed on the entire flights.)

The 'smart phone' type seat controls worked pretty well. By my looking around, I did wonder if most people didn't realize you could turn off the soft lighting scattered around the suite? I guess with eye masks it doesn't matter that much. Actually I'd say the FAs left the mood lighting rather bright, too. And they never shut the curtains around the forward galley. I'd have said something if I was in row 1.

Food was decent, it was served express-style both directions to allow more sleep time. Breakfast was really just adequate. I asked for a coffee refill (by going to the galley - hmmm, J service?) and the 3 FAs in the mid galley volunteered that it was bad coffee. They'd heard that UA was doing Starbucks (dunno if that's true?) and I confirmed that DL serves Starbucks, even in Y. They also served really watery, sugary OJ from Brazil on the northbound, both as PDB and for breakfast. Blech. Snack service from the walk-up bar was nice. Fresh fruit cups, bottled water, little dessert treats as well as salty snacks and small sandwiches.

I liked the IFE. Big screen and plenty of choices. I really liked that I could have the flight tracker on the docked handset while watching a film. Nice touch! (Random question: will AA ever add a tail cam?) FAs did seem to collect the headphones a bit early.

One final note, the front J cabin seemed really warm. I didn't spend time past the mid galley, but my impression was the second J cabin was cooler.

We got an incredible price on our trip, so for what we paid, I thought it was a very good experience. And I loved having direct aisle access. My overall impression was reasonably good, but not great, and if I'd paid in the $4K and up range, which isn't unusual ex-MSP, I don't think the cost-benefit would be there for me to do AA's 777 CIP in J. (We extracted extra value in our particular trip as we got Flagship Suites DFW-MIA on the outbound, and old-J 767 MIA-ORD on the return, which made the journey more relaxing, plus fun to have live back-to-back comparisons of AA premium hard products).

If I had to rank choices of 777 CIP seat types, I'd say: first choice, window seat facing fwd by a narrow margin. Second, window facing back. Third would be center section facing forward, and center-backwd last (particularly if traveling alone). I think I might avoid 6L because the mid galley seems busy a lot, and there's a busy lav directly behind that seat.

Hope this is useful. Happy travels!

Last edited by RaflW; Nov 13, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Have the dividers between the middle pairs of seats been unlocked yet, or are they still permanently in the up position? I have rear-facing pairs reserved for my wife and I, but will switch if that divider is still up.
Are there still permanent dividers between the middle pairs?

Wife and I like sitting next to each other and she insists on a front facing seat. Which seats should we choose?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by richarddd
Are there still permanent dividers between the middle pairs?

Wife and I like sitting next to each other and she insists on a front facing seat. Which seats should we choose?
A friend of mine flew the 77D last week and said his center rear facing seats did not allow the divider down. He made it sound like none of the dividers went down for any of the center seats.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
A friend of mine flew the 77D last week and said his center rear facing seats did not allow the divider down. He made it sound like none of the dividers went down for any of the center seats.
How high are the dividers?

What's recommended for a couple who like to chat?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInORD
I'm a little foggy on it, but I *thought* it was reported that now some are locked in the up, others locked in the down position.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:57 am

Is this Wiki right? I thought there were 6 already converted, no?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:37 am

This picture of a retrofitted 772 shows that at least some dividers go down: http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPlanes/retrofit.jsp
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by fedaputz
Is this Wiki right? I thought there were 6 already converted, no?
Seven have been converted. N759AN just finished getting refitted. It just flew MIA-SCL and will do SCL-DFW tonight. Seat map confirms it. I will update the appropriate wiki.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:21 pm

According to AA, "the forward facing seats have a sliding divider. The rear facing ones don't, because your angled towards the aisle, and customer heads are much closer together".

Last edited by richarddd; Nov 15, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Jish
Any thoughts on 1L?

Looks like my beloved AA104 will be using this plane in January so I need to find a seat.

Someone on seatguru suggested 1L and said they don't prepare meals in the forward galley so noise isn't an issue.

Thoughts?
I am on the AA105 LHR-JFK in late Feb 2016, which per my booking in AA.com shows as a 772. Is it right that this in fact means a 77D for this particular flight? Ie the new/retrofit 2 class aircraft with herringbone arrangement in business? When I look at the wiki it suggests that 105 is a 77W so I am a bit confused.
PS I am nearly sure I asked this question a few months ago but I cannot find my post!
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.