Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by vrilos
Hi All,

Long time lurker here.

I booked an american airlines flight from BCN-MIA (AA113) on ba.com. At the time the aircraft was the old 777 and so I chose seats 11H and 11J.

The aircraft was subsequently changed to the low J version and I was able to get an aa agent to change the seats to 3H, 3L.

Recently the aircraft has reverted to the old 777 and this is the scenario:

1. I can see 3H, 3L on aa.com
2. The AA agents are seeing no seat assignments.
3. I see no seat assignment on ba.com
4. The BA agents are seeing 11H, 11J

What are my chances of ending up in the first cabin? If there is a chance, how should I approach this dilemma?

Thanks!
You're likely going to end up in J. On the three-class 777, the F cabin does not have rows H or L so 3H and 3L are obviously errors.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:53 am

Here are available seats for daytime flight LHR-JFK. I am most confused with posts about whether there are fixed dividers between D and H. Please advise which two seats are best for a couple on this flight
Attached Images  
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I took this plane overnight DFW to LHR in 7L, not impressed. I'll stick to the 77W product and likely avoid this unless no other option, including other carriers. It felt cramped and really cheap.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by We won the world cup
Here are available seats for daytime flight LHR-JFK. I am most confused with posts about whether there are fixed dividers between D and H. Please advise which two seats are best for a couple on this flight
I'd go for the forward facing seats in the second section. That's worked when we've flown a 772. However, FAs have said that's not necessarily consistent across planes.

We like the 772 (subject to the divider issue).
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by We won the world cup
Total crAAp shoot. and beware of relying on SeatGuru for advice. See why:

D/H seat pair privacy dividers do not work properly, so they must be locked prior to taxi and flight. FAs can not lock or unlock the dividers, so this is done on the ground.

On various aircraft, the dividers are arbitrarily and apparently randomly set and locked as follows:

• All center dividers locked in the "up" position.

• All center dividers locked in the "down" position.

• Center dividers alternately locked in the "up" and "down" position.

• Whether odd or even dividers are locked up or down seems to be inconsistent and decided arbitrarily.
My observations from AA80 DFW-LHR 13 April 2015. The 77D was substituted for a 772 a few hours before departure. We were seated in middle seats 8D and 8H, aft facing. Our dividers were locked "up", as were all even numbered seat pairs. Odd numbered seat pairs were locked "down", but row 12 was also "down".

I had hoped these might have lowered (or better yet, fixed - hah!) privacy dividers, as my wife has special needs (Alzheimer's disease as well as need for ophthalmic care I administer in travel) but the even numbered middle seat privacy dividers were fixed in the "up" position. This meant no conversation unless I stood up and made applying medications difficult.

Those in front and behind us were traveling solo and had privacy dividers fixed in the "down" position - uncomfortable for some.

Several hours through the flight, my wife's seat jammed in the "Z" position. Cabin crew moved the seat cushion, opened a hinged door to an underseat panel at the seat front and were plain unable to reset seat controls or fix the issue other than to leave it semi-reclined, without reaccommodate on offer or returning to check if she wanted (assuming it was possible) the seat raised to full upright position.

Not much later the seat came loose and moved forward and aft freely; my wife (with Alzheimer's disease) blocked the seat from moving forward (for her, aft for the aircraft) with her extended leg to avoid waking me up and incurred some soft tissue muscle injury as a result. An unlocked seat freely moving in its track is unsafe and surely unsafe for takeoff or landing, of course. (With Alzheimer's disease, the ability to process recent memories and "executive function", the ability to make rational and logical decisions, are the first brain functions to become impaired. I am her care giver as well as husband.)

When I awoke and found this out, I walked the cabin and found 12D and H were not occupied! and had the privacy partition down. Crew had not offered us the information though I had commented on the inconvenience of our partition / seating and my wife's condition. I informed the crew I was moving my wife to 8H for safety reasons (unsecured seat) and I was taking 12H. They merely acknowledged my decision by agreeing her seat was a possible hazard for landing at LHR. ("We're here primarily for your safety." Suuure. In my opinion, crew were derelict in their duty of care, particularly as they were aware of my wife's disability, as they'd have allowed her to remain in an U anchored seat for landing.

(BA cabin crew were much, much more attentive and friendly on BA502 LHR-LIS, though when the CSD sneezed into his hands and then passed food and beverage items to a couple of pax, I did cringe a bit).

If there had not been an available seat, I'd have told the crew my wife would sit in my seat and they'd need to find safe, approved seating for me for landing, whether in economy or a jump seat. A seat loose in its track at landing I am sure is not STCd for seating a passenger for takeoff or landing.

Further observations (added to the wikipost):

NOTE: Aft-facing seats seem roomier at shoulder level when reclined than forward facing seats.

Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations.

Privacy dividers between Business middle seats D and H were delivered not working properly. AA has dealt with this by "locking" D-H privacy dividers up, down or alternating with (usually) odd seat rows (facing forward) dividers down, even (facing aft) up. FAs can not change this; it is apparently done by maintenance.

Cabin lighting is 787 style; suite lighting includes a swiveling but flat two intensity LED and a traditional overhead lamp.

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

Suite storage is minimum, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (110 VAC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General seat and suite fit and fit is poor, with plenty of misfits, gaps, forced overlaps, missing or poorly installed plastic separation between hard components, etc. Shoddy looking, IMO; I'd never buy a car with such finish work.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a touch hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

Bose noise reducing headsets are provided in J, but are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, offering higher capacity sink basins.

Executive summary: The cabin feels spacious, sleeping and general seat comfort are good (but I'm 6'4" and slept on my side with slightly bent knees, as stretched out supine or on my side I could not fit in the bed). The width will feel somewhat restructed and box-like to some. The fit and fit reminded me of a Yugo.

I hereby dub these "NGBB" - Next Generation Business Box. To think AA required modifications from Zodiac and this was the result makes me think the proper word is "chiseled" the OEM product down to this.

I apologize for the poor 90 degree "squashed" rendering of the seat - it's FlyerTalk.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; May 13, 2016 at 7:57 am Reason: Typo, add bold to center privacy divider info
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:03 pm

Great review. Just to confirm. Row 1 which is odd had dividers down ?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Abhinavt
Great review...
+1. Thank you.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Abhinavt
Great review. Just to confirm. Row 1 which is odd had dividers down ?
Thank you.

Odd, down; even, up. But row 12 was down.

I don't think there's much consistency, as some have reported their aircraft had all up or all down.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm a little foggy on it, but I *thought* it was reported that now some are locked in the up, others locked in the down position.
It seems a crew on the ground makes the decision which privacy dividers are locked up, down or alternately. Looks purely arbitrary and there's no way to predict which screens / dividers will be in either position. It's luck of the draw and inconsistent to boot.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 16, 2016 at 3:35 am
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Total crAAp shoot. See why:

Executive summary: The cabin feels spacious, sleeping and general seat comfort are good (but I'm 6'4" and slept on my side with slightly bent knees, as stretched out supine or on my side I could not fit in the bed). The width will feel somewhat restructed and box-like to some. The fit and fit reminded me of a Yugo.

I hereby dub these "NGBB" - Next Generation Business Box. To think AA required modifications from Zodiac and this was the result makes me think the proper word is "chiseled" the OEM product down to this.

I apologize for the poor 90 degree "squashed" rendering of the seat - it's FlyerTalk.
Thanks for your review!

Am I correct to assume that 77D = 772 in this thread?
AA lists the plane as "Aircraft: 772" and I've read people mention 77D and 772 in the thread.
I still don't follow what the difference between 777-223ER that is listed in the wiki vs 777-200 listed on AA's retrofit website.

I am flying JFK-CDG and my SWU just went through!!!
This is my current available seat map:

I am traveling with my significant other and currently have 7D and 7H due to reading here:
1. Seats are not connect to other seats
2. Based on JDriver's review the divider should be down

Are my assumptions above correct?

I also read that sitting across the aisle 7L, 7H would be good for a couple, but it seems weird to me to talk across the aisle.
IF I am lucky and the divider is down, would it be better to stick where I am?

Side question: It's my first AA International J flight and I'm wondering what perks I have. I am also AA EXP. I read I can access the Flagship lounge at JFK. Is there a lounge I can try when I land at CDG?

Last edited by fr33b13; Apr 16, 2016 at 8:34 am
Old Apr 16, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Thanks for your review!

Am I correct to assume that 77D = 772 in this thread?
AA lists the plane as "Aircraft: 772" and I've read people mention 77D and 772 in the thread.
I still don't follow what the difference between 777-223ER that is listed in the wiki vs 777-200 listed on AA's retrofit website.

I am flying JFK-CDG and my SWU just went through!!!
This is my current available seat map:

I am traveling with my significant other and currently have 7D and 7H due to reading here:
1. Seats are not connect to other seats
2. Based on JDriver's review the divider should be down

Are my assumptions above correct?

I also read that sitting across the aisle 7L, 7H would be good for a couple, but it seems weird to me to talk across the aisle.
IF I am lucky and the divider is down, would it be better to stick where I am?

Side question: It's my first AA International J flight and I'm wondering what perks I have. I am also AA EXP. I read I can access the Flagship lounge at JFK. Is there a lounge I can try when I land at CDG?
The problem is AA nomenclature sometimes is confusing.

Example: "32B" means any LAA A321-200, including A321T transcon three class, 321S two class and 321S ETOPS two class - because any A321-200 with Sharklets winglets is a "32B".

AA has three Boeing 777-223ER configurations currently and is going for three or four types (three when the CIP is finished).

AA currently uses:

777 and what AA is now calling 77A is an unmodified 777-223ER plane.
772 is a reconfigured 777-223ER plane.
77D is a reconfigured 777-223ER plane, but not used in AA timetables, etc.
77W is the three class 777-323ER.

722 with "NGBC" old J seats, currently 33 of 47 (13 reconfigured to the Zodiac CIP).

13: "77D" ( type B on the emergency card) with AA modified Zodiac Business Suites - in "high" Business configuration with 260 total seats, 45J/215Y configuration..

10: 260-seat configuration under retrofit now with the Zodiac Business Suite
~10: 289 total seat configuration with Zodiac Business Suite 37J/252Y. One now in service.

24: 289 total seat configuration with new seat to be selected - 37J/252Y.

Whether dividers are up or down IMO is a total crAAp shoot and will not be known until you board (at least until / if they get these properly repaired) - not reflected in any seat chart for obvious reasons. I'd also remember that a D + H seat pair means you two will be using different aisles and overhead bins. That may not be an issue for some, but may be for others.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 16, 2016 at 9:15 am
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:12 am

For reference, on my CDG-MIA flight two weeks ago, none of the dividers were able to go down, but on the return flight, every single one of the dividers were down. Just a bizarre crap shoot I suppose. It would be nice to get some info on this from AA, but I guess that's probably hoping too much...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kthpence
It would be nice to get some info on this from AA, but I guess that's probably hoping too much...
AA provide customers with accurate information about their products?? Haha, hilarious!
Old May 2, 2016, 11:08 am

Any updates regarding AA 175 to Japan?
Old May 4, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kthpence
For reference, on my CDG-MIA flight two weeks ago, none of the dividers were able to go down, but on the return flight, every single one of the dividers were down. Just a bizarre crap shoot I suppose. It would be nice to get some info on this from AA, but I guess that's probably hoping too much...
The latest information has been added to the wikipost:

Choice of B/E Aerospace "Super Diamond" seat for 23~24 aircraft.

Addition of true Premium Economy to this aircraft over the next three years (~by mid-2019).
Old May 4, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I had 9L recently on 101, thought it was fine and not radically better or worse than the 77W. My colleague was in 8L and I could feel him move when he got up but that was it. Didn't stop me from getting a good 3 hour kip.

I can see how a pair of travelers either wanting to socialize or work together might have an issue- but that is also true on the 77W.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.