Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac Main Cabin & Extra / MCE (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Boeing 777-200ER
Main Cabin layout

Image: aerolopa.com
Note, the seating chart displayed in post #1 is out of date and should be disregarded. Same goes for seatguru.

General information
The Main Cabin layout is standardised across the entire Boeing 777-200ER fleet, so economy seat assignments are protected in the event of an aircraft switching from type 1 to type 2 (or vice versa)

Main Cabin Extra:
Safran (formerly Weber) 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 34" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan the MCE seats are indicated with orange accents

Main Cabin:
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 31" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan these seats are indicated with red accents

Wifi:
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

IFE:
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

Seat observations and recommendations
Row 17: the bulkhead partitions are raised on steel pedestals affording these seats additional foot space
20 DEGH: designated and sold as Main Cabin Extra but beware as reports here suggest these seats do not offer additional leg room

Sister threads
As all AA 77Es share identical Main Cabin and MCE layouts, you can also check out the comments and recommendations posted in the https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...extra-mce.html thread
Print Wikipost

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac Main Cabin & Extra / MCE (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP SPG PLT
Best MCE seat in new "low J" retrofitted 772

It seems that this has not been discussed.

"Low J", 772 birds contain 37 Business and 48 MCE with 3-4-3 seating. You can find a seat map on AA.com and EF but not on Seatguru.

Which would you choose?

Low 13 (bulkhead) is 2-4-2.
13AC or 13JL for a couple, and 13C or J for solo?

Or 14C or 14J which seems more leg room than others?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
We just flew this last night. 13 all across was pretty amazing. The most leg room in coach seemed to be the bulkhead in the last cabin of coach. That said, I like to get off the plane as fast as possible, so we were very happy with 13! And for anyone reading this thread later, they did have televisions with remotes that popped up, as well as regular and usb plugs. The tray that came out of the arm was a little dinky, but didn't bother us. There is plenty of luggage storage on this plane.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Becky2010
We just flew this last night. 13 all across was pretty amazing. The most leg room in coach seemed to be the bulkhead in the last cabin of coach. That said, I like to get off the plane as fast as possible, so we were very happy with 13! And for anyone reading this thread later, they did have televisions with remotes that popped up, as well as regular and usb plugs. The tray that came out of the arm was a little dinky, but didn't bother us. There is plenty of luggage storage on this plane.
Sounds AA did good job, even if it is 3-4-3 seating MCE configuration.

How did you find row 14? It seems that there is open space in front of 14C and 14J.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:01 pm

There wasn't extra space in front of those. I took some pictures but I can't figure out how to host them.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:45 pm

We were also on award tickets - all five of us. It was daytime flight so no one needed to lie down. I thought the legroom in 13 was pretty great. I'm 5'7" and I could stick my legs out straight. I love to be able to put my feet up on the wall in the bulkhead, which you can't do in row 14. They had plenty of storage for our bags, which we could bring down after take off. But it's just a matter of preference. I rarely fly anything but coach, so I was very pleased with our flight! This is the first time I flew overseas during the day (we departed at 10am and arrived at 10pm) and I thought it was fantastic.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:08 pm

There wasn't extra space in front of those. I took some pictures but I can't figure out how to host them.
Interesting. Why is the row 13 has 2-4-2 seating then? Is there any bulky structure to narrow down the space, like ones adjacent to 31A and J in non-retrofitted 777?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingLion
Interesting. Why is the row 13 has 2-4-2 seating then? Is there any bulky structure to narrow down the space, like ones adjacent to 31A and J in non-retrofitted 777?
Maybe I'm talking about the wrong thing. It's 3-3-3 in MCE.
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_B.php
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Right. I looked at all 4 AA JFK-LHR overnights for tomorrow. 3 of them appear to be 772s with a 3-3-3 section of MCE (starting with 13), then preferred. The 4th was a 77W with 16 thru 19 being a 3-3-3 MCE section. In both cases, the next section was 3-4-3, with the first (bulkhead) row being MCE.

FlyingLion, can you post a link to the 2-4-2 seatmap you saw, or remember the flight # and date?

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Jun 10, 2016 at 7:06 pm Reason: me not type good
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
My family of four flew Row 14 on NYC-LHR redeye this week. I was VERY glad we passed on Row 13 because it: had much less legroom, had no access to IFE during takeoff and landing (kid silencer), had no luggage storage during takeoff and fixed armrests would make it impossible for kids to lay down. The legroom in Row 14 might have been the most I've ever had in coach (I'm 6'5").

That being said, I normally fly F and had just flown J from LAX-SYD. Wow, Y is a MUCH different service experience. But I had already accepted that we were cattle. So I laughed off most of the disservice. The cold breakfast that was thrown at me was laughable.

But they were award tickets. Free tix to Europe in June. I'll take it.
Originally Posted by FlyingLion
Maybe I'm talking about the wrong thing. It's 3-3-3 in MCE.
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame..._777-200_B.php
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Right. I looked at all 4 AA JFK-LHR overnights for tomorrow. 3 of them appear to be 772s with a 3-3-3 section of MCE (starting with 13), then preferred. The 4th was a 77W with 16 thru 19 being a 3-3-3 MCE section. In both cases, the next section was 3-4-3, with the first (bulkhead) row being MCE.

FlyingLion, can you post a link to the 2-4-2 seatmap you saw, or remember the flight # and date?
There seems to be a bit of confusion here. The OP was referring to the Low-J 77D. This one has 37 J seats instead of 45. This plane is also 3-4-3 throughout instead of 3-3-3 in the forward cabin.

This plane is currently only flown on MIA-CDG (and maybe MIA-MAD), though once more start arriving, you'll see them on more routes. JFK-LHR is flown by the high-J version, MCE and Y is different on this version.

The reason the first row is 2-4-2 instead of 3-4-3 is due to the misaligned aisle between MCE and J.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
The Low J 37/242 configuration is now regularly assigned to MIA-BCN and has been popping up on some other markets lately as aircraft get reconfigured. MIA-GIG and MIA-SCL have seen these aircraft recently.

On these aircraft, economy is 10-abreast, seats ABC DEGH JKL. The first row of economy is is 2-4-2 with no B or K seats. It's really like there are no C or J seats since 13C and 13J are respectively where the B or K seats would be in any other row.

As a result of no seat in front, seats 14C and 14J have effectively unlimited legroom, but the disadvantage of potentially having people bumping into you all flight due to the shift in the aisle.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum

"High-J" retrofitted 772 (MCE row 13-17, 3-3-3 seating)
Attached Images  
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:57 pm

Newer "Low-J" retrofitted 772 (MCE row 13-17, 3-4-3 seating)
Attached Images  
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Talking

Does anyone know if row 13 in the new "Low J" retrofitted have more legroom than the "High-J" retrofitted?, I'm asking this because they had to move the location of the Bulkhead.

Anyway, I was able to modified the seat map from SeatGuru, I'm not an expert using Photoshop and I tried my best (it took me an hour to do it)

Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by fedechat
Does anyone know if row 13 in the new "Low J" retrofitted have more legroom than the "High-J" retrofitted?, I'm asking this because they had to move the location of the Bulkhead.

Anyway, I was able to modified the seat map from SeatGuru, I'm not an expert using Photoshop and I tried my best (it took me an hour to do it)

I fear you'll have to hit the photoshop again, as the low-J version is 3-4-3 in the forward Y cabin, not 3-3-3
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:27 am

Hi all ...

Have a trip coming up soon on one of the 45J 772s.

Thankfully I'm at least in MCE, but I was curious about the IFE in these refurbished 777s. I read through AA.com and in a few other places, and read through this thread (apologies if I missed it in an earlier post) but I can't quite get a definitively-worded answer - what is the Y IFE like on the 772? Is it the improved AVOD like on the 787 and 77W, with the variety/selection of those offerings, or is it still the same ancient, horrible pre-refurb 777 IFE?

Thanks very much in advance for any information/experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.