Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 9, 20, 2:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.


NOTE: AA uses Terminals 4 and 5, the remote “Eagle’s Nest” and some gates at TBIT . International Arrivals in particular may use T4, TBIT (100s numbered gates), the remote arrival piers (200s) or the maintenance hangars (300s); in the latter cases, passengers will be bussed to T4 (domestic and some international) or TBIT (some international), as both have USCBP processing facilities.


Link to Los Angeles World Airports' LAX Airport website

NOTE: LAX is always undergoing changes; be aware the information herein may change. See here for LAWA notices affecting passengers.

Link LAWA / LAX FAQ page.

Link to aa.com


Link to 14 Feb 2017 post with AA-AA Minimum Times Times

NOTE: The Admirals Club® lounge and Flagship Lounge in Terminal 4 at Los Angeles International (LAX) have been renovated and include Flagship Dining for those in eligible three class First cabin.

Special notice

AA operate from multiple terminals at LAX. Check in at Terminal 5, east end (Gates 50-59, including Remote American Eagle terminal, gates 52A-J) or Terminal 4 (Gates 40-49, 110-159)
. (As of 31 Jan 2017)

NOTE: the 100s gates are at the Tom Bradley International Air Terminal (aka Terminal B), accessible to / from Terminal 4 by the airside connector if you are already airside and security cleared. The 200 gates are the remote piers served by bus, and the 300 “gates” are the maintenance hangars served by bus.


[AA T-6 ops moved to T-5[/B]


Check-in times as of March 2016 Link

In most locations, you must be checked in:

At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States

At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States
. Some non-US require more.

If you are checking in with baggage to check at T-4, not T-5, and flying American Eagle from the remote "Eagle's Nest" 52A-J gates (31 Jan 2017 and after), you must check in 90 minutes prior to departure.

LAYOUT: LAX is like a letter "U" on its side, open end facing right. The Tom Bradley International Terminal is the bar of the "U" facing left, on the west side. Terminals 1, 2 and 3 on the north and 4 - 8 on the south. Entering the semicircular, counter-clockwise roadway serving the terminals, you will pass terminals 1, 2, 3, TBIT, 4, 5, 6, etc. There is quite a bit of construction going on and the airport roadways can get quite congested.

MCT: Though international to International or Domestic Minimum Connect Times (MCT) are listed as 2:00, arriving at the remote western 200 pads and gates (served by busses from the terminals), connecting between T4, T6, Remote Eagle terminal and TBIT, not to mention lengthy USCBP queues and the need to proceed landslide to connecting terminals and processing security may make 2:00 unrealistic at times. MCT Domestic to Domestic or International is often 0:40, but this may be unrealistic if connecting American Eagle remote terminal 52A-J and a domestic flight at TBIT, for example.

Operating terminals and gates

Terminal 4: AA primarily uses Terminal 4, Gates 40-49 but now also uses Terminal 5 (50-59, 52A-I remote Eagle gates and TBIT (110-159). Flagship Checkin, Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge are all in T-4.


Tom Bradley International Terminal ("100") gates 110-159 for domestic and international flights, with no particular flight assignment - check your gates information.

oneworld Business and Qantas First lounges in TBIT for qualified passengers. See LOUNGE DASHBOARD for further information - link.

Occasionally, the "200 gates" remote pads (bus from T-4) may be used. Terminal 4 and TBIT are connected airside by a new connector. Qualified travelers may use the TBIT oneworld Business or Qantas First lounges. See separate thread.

Terminal 5 AS OF Tue 31 Jan 2017: Legacy US flights operate from Terminal 5, gates 50 - 59. It is best to check in for American Eagle flights at T-5. Airside connection exists, as well as shuttles. Bus port at T-5 is at gate 52. American Eagle checked baggage is delivered to Terminal 5 baggage carousels; Eagle remote gates are now numbered 52A-J.


Terminal 6: Alaska Airlines flights operate from Terminal 6.

Legacy US flights operated from Terminal 6 until 31 Jan 2017; AA no longer operates out of Terminal 6.

American Eagle Remote Terminal "Eagle's Nest": Regional flights operate at a remote terminal served frequently by airside shuttle busses from bus gates 44 and 60. The remote American Eagle terminal gate numeration has changed: "May 16 2016 the remote gates at LAX formerly 44 A-J were renumbered to 60 A-J." There is a "junior" Admirals Club here. Preferred Eagle check in and baggage carousels are in T-5?

While you may check in at T-4 for American Eagle, those with baggage to check must do so no less than 90 minutes prior to departure. The preferred baggage check deadline is in place at T-5 for American Eagle.

Walking Interterminal - Landside

Note: You can walk airside between Terminal 4 and TBIT as of 25 Feb 2016. See LAX Terminal 4 - Tom Bradley Intl Terminal Secure Connector), and on to T-5 via a corridor (ground floor, by bus gate 44).

Terminals on the south side and TBIT are connected airside. A PDF guide is downloadable here.

One can also walk landside between terminals on upper or lower walkway sidewalks just outside the roadway. Lower walkways are protected from the weather, upper walkways are not. Distances can be short (T-4 <-> TBIT) or long (20 minutes or less in all cases, and there are crosswalks and walkways serving north and south terminals. See north - south blue corridors in Ground Transport map, above; walkways parallel them.

For access to the Tom Bradley International Terminal ("TBIT") one may also proceed landslide and walk a short distance, or take the counter clockwise landside courtesy airport shuttle bus.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Here is a graphic I made from a Google Earth Streetview screenshot that shows how close T4 is to TBIT. It's a two-minute walk. One minute if you are fast.

Link to fullsize map


Airside - Shuttle Bus or Walking

Airside shuttle busses:

NO BUS T-4 <-> T-5 (faster to walk pedestrian tunnel)
T-4 <-> Remote Eagle terminal (most efficient and frequent)
T-5 <-> Remote Eagle terminal (more frequent than from / to T-4)

Terminals 4 and 5: A courtesy shuttle bus operates airside between Terminal 4, ex-gate 44 bus gate, and Terminal 6 gate 60-62 through Mon 30 Jan 2017 - afterwards, Terminal gate 52, every fifteen minutes between 05:00 and 23:00; ongoing boarding pass required. At other times one either take the airside corridor T-5 Tue 31 Jan and after <-> T-4 or exit landslide and walk or take the counter-clockwise landslide courtesy shuttle bus.

American Eagle Remote Terminal: A courtesy shuttle bus serves the American Eagle remote terminal from Terminal 5, gate 52. Note: American Eagle checked baggage is delivered to Terminal 5 baggage carousels. Another shuttle runs from Terminal 4, gate 44 bus gate. A boarding pass to Gate 52A-I is required. This is the sole way of reaching these gates (other than Five Star Service passengers, who are shuttled via the Tarmac in Cadillac SUVs).

Terminal 4 - TBIT: The new pedestrian airside connector opened 25 Feb 2015. Qantas and AA passengers departing the TBIT can check in at Terminal 4, process airside, use Admirals or Flagship lounges T-4 <-> TBIT shuttles apparently ended when the airside connector open 25 Feb 2016[/hl].

Walk Terminals 4 and 5: One can walk airside using the Terminal 4 - 5 - 6 connector.

Walk Terminal 4 - TBIT airside connector: An airside connector leading to TBIT is open effective 25 Feb 2016. See here (FT) for more.


Getting from terminal to terminal, concourse to concourse, landside

Landside courtesy airport shuttle bus
  • "A" line buses: Transports passengers between terminals. "A" route operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and runs every 10 minutes (counter clockwise)

  • "C" line buses: Transports passengers to and from Parking Lot C. Travelers can walk to the LAX City Bus Center from Lot C. "C" route operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and runs every 10 to 15 minutes.

  • "G" line busses: Transports passengers with a valid TAP card to and from the Metro Green Line Aviation Station. Service is aligned with the rail schedule. To view, please go to www.metro.net . Click here for Green line Boarding Procedures (PDF document). TAP card is not required when taking the G Bus from LAX to the Aviation Metro Station.

  • Use this link for a real time map display of shuttle bus locations and movements.

  • Rental car company busses: transport passengers between terminals and car rental facilities.

Ground Transportation stops / pickups at LAX

NOTE: Rental, hotel shuttle, Über, etc. stops are in front of each terminal on the arrivals / lower level at the island crossing the first lanes of traffic.


Security at LAX

Link to FlyerGuide information on LAX T-4 Security.

TSA PreCheck: Yes (Terminal 4 upstairs, east; Terminal 5?)

Priority Access line in a Terminal 4 is accessed from the escalator on the left end (looking at the counters) of the terminal (furthest from TBIT, closest to terminal 5), next to the Priority Access check-in area. Often there is an AA worker at the bottom of the escalator making sure only Priority Access passengers go up this escalator. The First, Business and Priority Access lines now have their own screening room far from the economy area. This private room has multiple screening lines and during peak periods additional lines are opened up.

Security for (TBIT) international arrivals proceeding to Terminal 4 is open as of February 2017. When exiting TBIT customs and baggage recheck area, turn right immediately after the exit and proceed down the hallway to the checkpoint. No Pre-Check.


Check-in and ticketing at LAX and check in times Link

Flagship Check-in: YES Marked exclusive T-4 Flagship check-in entrance 4:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.

Five Star Service: YES

Priority and Preferred Access: YES

Curbside check-in: Yes. Terminal 4 only, including for international destinations.

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate at LAX

Minimum time to check baggage

To help us get your bag on the same flight with you, present your bag to an airline representative for check-in no later than the cutoff time.

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:
  • Check bags at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure at LAX

For flights originating in airports outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:
  • Check bags at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure (90’ if checking for Eagle at T-4 instead of T-5)

Time to baggage delivery: expect 0:30 or more.


Ticket counter locations

Terminal 4: upon entry, Qantas to right; First and Priority Access to left; Main Cabin straight ahead.
Self-service check-in kiosks available.
Open Daily: 04:00 - 00:30 (4 am to midnight + 30)

Terminal 5, east side: OPEN Tue 31 Jan 2017
Open Daily: 4:30 AM - 12:30 AM

Terminal 6: CLOSE Tue 31 Jan 2017
Open Daily: 4:30 AM - 12:30 AM

If departing on American Eagle, suggested check-in at T-5 Tue 31 Jan 2017 or after.


Minimum and reasonable connection and check-in times at LAX

See 20 May 2016 ExpertFlyer MCT listings here:
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
The MCT's for AA at LAX are a mess...
Q. What are minimum check-in time requirements at LAX?

AA requires arriving a minimum of 45 minutes prior to domestic departures if departing domestically (including Hawai'i, Puerto Rico and the U. S. Virgin Islands) if one has no baggage to check; 60 minutes if one must check baggage; and two hours prior to international departures.

Additionally, AA requires passengers be checked in at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure at LAX and "Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to domestic departure" and 30 minutes prior to international departure. Gates close to boarding 10 minutes prior to departure.

Q. What is the domestic to domestic or domestic to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?

The minimum connect time at LAX, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. International to domestic or international MCT is 2:00, but as mentioned previously, this may be insufficient. Note: MCT is generally not waived for international passengers arriving from USCBP pre-clearance airports.

See AA domestic to international MCT from ExpertFlyer Nov 2016 c/o Serfty here.

Q. If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?

There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (DFW and MIA have a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs.

Upon exiting Customs at TBIT there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Pre-cleared passengers arriving at TBIT will bypass USCBP (but most airlines will enforce international to domestic MCT nonetheless).

ALL arrivals are forced landside (you may pass back through security at the TBIT end of the T-4 - TBIT connector) and Terminal 4 is a short walk to your right, Terminal 6 farther; one can board courtesy airport "A" busses and be dropped off very shortly at T-4 or T-5.

NOTE: Whilst most international Arrivals process immigration and customs at TBIT, some arriving at T-4 may walk a long underground passage and process formalities at TBIT. Others may process at T-4, but if you arrive with bags those will be available at TBIT.

There is no Arrivals Loinge for AA or oneworld customers at LAX.

Q. What is AA policy if I have separate tickets and my incoming flight is delayed?

Protection for oneworld world customers travelling on separate bookings:
oneworld Global Support

Your oneworld connection is generally not officially protected, but the airline may help you and put you on the next available flight, and AA does generally protect oneworld connections at this time..

If your flights are on the same PNR:

Connecting between airlines at unfamiliar airports can be a stressful experience, especially if your flight is delayed. American Airlines recognizes the impact delays and missed connections can have on your plans and on your life. That is why we partnered with the other oneworld member airlines to form teams of connection experts: oneworld Global Support.

At select airports across the oneworld alliance network, teams are proactively monitoring connecting flights and, whenever possible, they will meet and assist you if your connection is in jeopardy. The oneworld Global Support teams will do their best to allow you to use dedicated fast track lanes through immigration or security to help you catch your next flight. Our teams will also do everything possible to transfer your baggage so that it makes it on time to your final destination.

If you miss your connecting flight, the oneworld Global Support team will provide you with updated travel information, a new boarding pass and, where applicable, assistance with overnight accommodations.

oneworld Global Support is currently available at Chicago O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, London Heathrow, Los Angeles, Madrid-Barajas, Miami, New York JFK and Sydney. The service is offered at these airports whenever possible, subject to operational constraints.
See:
Q. Can I check my baggage through?

If you're connecting within the oneworld alliance or airlines with an interline agreement and your connection is under eleven hours, all segments on the same PNR, probably. If over that or with separate PNRs (even within oneworld) airlines without an interline agreements with AA or on separate tickets connecting with non-oneworld airlines, no.

See oneworld not requiring protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016; AA policy.

Q. Is there baggage storage at LAX?

No. Since 9/11 most USA airports have eliminated baggage storage, but you can use a baggage storage firm that will pick up, store and return your baggage. You do not have to pre-book, and they are open 24/7: http://www.laxluggagestorage.com. There are $5 pickup, $5 return and storage charges.


WiFi at LAX:

"Internet Access at Los Angeles LAX Airport. LAX Airport offers free internet access, with paid upgrades: Free Wi-Fi service for up to 44 minutes is available in most of the public areas of the Airport - provided by Advanced Wireless Group."

=================

Other resources
  • Link to AA FAQ: Will I make my connection?
Posts from 2015-2017 have been archived to ARCHIVE: 2015-2017 GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles Int’l. Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.







Print Wikipost

Old Jan 17, 18, 10:42 am
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Posts: 18,939
Originally Posted by tennessetom View Post
It is pretty well marked but know what gate you are going to and where the gate is.
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach View Post
The flight can leave from T4 a few days, then TBIT, then T4, then a few days from TBIT... I would estimate about an additional 15 minutes if the flight leaves from TBIT.
T4 versus T5: More than once I have made the error of boarding the shuttle bus to the gate / terminal shown on a BP created several hours prior... only to find AA has done a late gate change and I have bussed to the wrong place. Mistake adds another 10+ minutes in the underground Austin Powers stuck-cart walkway.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 18, 2:14 pm
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,515
When transiting, it's generally a good idea to recheck onward gate on the monitors ASAP upon arrival into the concourse.
serfty is offline  
Old Feb 13, 18, 4:06 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 91
Wanna get some advice. I am thinking to book a flight from HKG --> LAX --> AUS for the family. The HKG --> LAX flight is scheduled to land at 4:45pm, and the LAX --> AUS flight is scheduled to depart at 6:45pm. This will make the connection time to be 2 hours. We will have a few pieces of check-in luggage, and we are all either citizens or green card holders.

1. Would there be enough time for transit?
2. Is the custom going to be in TBIT now? If so, is the walk from TBIT to T4 going to be long?
3. Is it a long time before the check-in luggage to be showed up at customs?

It was 2014 when I last flew back through LAX so a lot of things much have changed. Thanks.
pat_pat_tong is offline  
Old Feb 13, 18, 4:36 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but Plat for a year (yippie)
Posts: 4,296
Originally Posted by pat_pat_tong View Post
Wanna get some advice. I am thinking to book a flight from HKG --> LAX --> AUS for the family. The HKG --> LAX flight is scheduled to land at 4:45pm, and the LAX --> AUS flight is scheduled to depart at 6:45pm. This will make the connection time to be 2 hours. We will have a few pieces of check-in luggage, and we are all either citizens or green card holders.

1. Would there be enough time for transit?
2. Is the custom going to be in TBIT now? If so, is the walk from TBIT to T4 going to be long?
3. Is it a long time before the check-in luggage to be showed up at customs?

It was 2014 when I last flew back through LAX so a lot of things much have changed. Thanks.
In my opinion, two hours is not enough when traveling with a family and/or with checked luggage. Since you were last here, the airport built an airside "connector" between T4 and TBIT.

You are hoping the arriving flight is on time. Good luck. It can take a long time to get checked luggage delivered. If you do not have Global Entry, you may have a long wait for Immigration clearance.

Once you get your checked luggage and clear Customs, the rest is fairly easy:

1. Give your checked luggage back to the airline at the Recheck area just past Customs. This process should take, literally, seconds. Your bags are already tagged to your final destination. It's just a matter of handing over your bag to a uniformed airline employee.

2. Go out into the general Arrivals area with just your carry on luggage. Go past the meeters-and-greeters, then turn right, staying inside the building. You will be walking towards T4.

3. Go down the hallway past restrooms and shops towards the "connector" between T4 and TBIT. You will see a TSA checkpoint. Go through that checkpoint. This checkpoint "usually" has a short line. Usually. No guarantees.

4. Go up the escalator, and turn left towards T4 and your departure gate.

A single traveler with carryon-only, who is a fast walker and has Global Entry may be able to make this connection with time to spare if the arriving flight is on time. That fast-walking single traveler would be well advised to have a back-up plan, anyway. Personally, I wouldn't chance it with a family in tow and checked luggage. Just my opinion.

I would look to see if there is a later flight.
dgcpaphd likes this.
QueenOfCoach is offline  
Old Feb 13, 18, 5:21 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach View Post
In my opinion, two hours is not enough when traveling with a family and/or with checked luggage. Since you were last here, the airport built an airside "connector" between T4 and TBIT.

You are hoping the arriving flight is on time. Good luck. It can take a long time to get checked luggage delivered. If you do not have Global Entry, you may have a long wait for Immigration clearance.

Once you get your checked luggage and clear Customs, the rest is fairly easy:

1. Give your checked luggage back to the airline at the Recheck area just past Customs. This process should take, literally, seconds. Your bags are already tagged to your final destination. It's just a matter of handing over your bag to a uniformed airline employee.

2. Go out into the general Arrivals area with just your carry on luggage. Go past the meeters-and-greeters, then turn right, staying inside the building. You will be walking towards T4.

3. Go down the hallway past restrooms and shops towards the "connector" between T4 and TBIT. You will see a TSA checkpoint. Go through that checkpoint. This checkpoint "usually" has a short line. Usually. No guarantees.

4. Go up the escalator, and turn left towards T4 and your departure gate.

A single traveler with carryon-only, who is a fast walker and has Global Entry may be able to make this connection with time to spare if the arriving flight is on time. That fast-walking single traveler would be well advised to have a back-up plan, anyway. Personally, I wouldn't chance it with a family in tow and checked luggage. Just my opinion.

I would look to see if there is a later flight.
Thanks! A very detailed information. I really need to think about it, and the baggage delivery time is concerning. Just a side question, is SFO much better for a 2 hours connection? Wondering whether we should fly back on United instead.
pat_pat_tong is offline  
Old Feb 13, 18, 7:41 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,155
US citizens should breeze through the self-service immigration kiosk fairly quickly at LAX. Not sure about green card holders... in the old days, you can line up in the US citizen line and just show the immigration officer your green card. Now days, I don't think you can use the self-service kiosk because those require US passport. But fortunately, CX will also pass out transit pass at the gate when you deplane that will give you priority access to staffed counter with short lines at immigration. The concern at LAX is with luggage claim which could take upwards of 1 hour.

If you are on a single ticket HKG-LAX-AUS itinerary, then I may roll the dice. Especially if it is ticketed by AA rather than CX. AA will be responsible for leaving you behind at LAX if you miss the connection so they are likely to wait for you if you are a little bit delayed.

If you are on separate HKG-LAX and LAX-AUS tickets, I would advise against 2 hour layover transit with checked luggage and family. Probably need 2.5 hours to be safe.
TWA884 likes this.

Last edited by bzcat; Feb 13, 18 at 7:46 pm
bzcat is offline  
Old Feb 14, 18, 7:03 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
US citizens should breeze through the self-service immigration kiosk fairly quickly at LAX. Not sure about green card holders... in the old days, you can line up in the US citizen line and just show the immigration officer your green card. Now days, I don't think you can use the self-service kiosk because those require US passport. But fortunately, CX will also pass out transit pass at the gate when you deplane that will give you priority access to staffed counter with short lines at immigration. The concern at LAX is with luggage claim which could take upwards of 1 hour.

If you are on a single ticket HKG-LAX-AUS itinerary, then I may roll the dice. Especially if it is ticketed by AA rather than CX. AA will be responsible for leaving you behind at LAX if you miss the connection so they are likely to wait for you if you are a little bit delayed.

If you are on separate HKG-LAX and LAX-AUS tickets, I would advise against 2 hour layover transit with checked luggage and family. Probably need 2.5 hours to be safe.
Thanks. It is going to be on a single ticket. Unfortunately, it is going to be the last one out from LAX to AUS on the day so we may have to stay in LA overnight if there are delays (either flight delay or luggage delivery delay...). Seriously thinking about a Plan B now..
pat_pat_tong is offline  
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:32 am
  #38  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 12,538
Originally Posted by pat_pat_tong View Post
Thanks. It is going to be on a single ticket. Unfortunately, it is going to be the last one out from LAX to AUS on the day so we may have to stay in LA overnight if there are delays (either flight delay or luggage delivery delay...). Seriously thinking about a Plan B now..
Your connection meets the international to domestic minimum connect time at LAX.

LAX in one of the airports where oneworld airlines agents wait just outside the jet bridge with bright orange "Express connection" ticket jackets for passengers with tight connections. These help connecting passengers speed through the immigration and customs inspections allow them to use a dedicated lane at the exit from the customs hall. They also help shorten the wait for the TSA security inspection upon reentry to the secured airside of the airport.





TWA884 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 18, 10:14 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Your connection meets the international to domestic minimum connect time at LAX.

LAX in one of the airports where oneworld airlines agents wait just outside the jet bridge with bright orange "Express connection" ticket jackets for passengers with tight connections. These help connecting passengers speed through the immigration and customs inspections allow them to use a dedicated lane at the exit from the customs hall. They also help shorten the wait for the TSA security inspection upon reentry to the secured airside of the airport.





Agreed - 2 hours should be more than enough time IF doing OW Int'l Arrivals or AA Int'l Arrivals to AA domestic; especially now at LAX they have eliminated an official customs check on the way out. You most likely will clear Imm/customs at TBIT - sometimes even T4 arrivals do. The connections process is a breeze (you go through the "secret" TSA checkpoint in the basement of Bradley that in the 6-7 times I've come off the HKG flight has taken all of 5 minutes), and you're right back in the T4/TBIT Connector. I would allow extra time of an hour if you're switching carriers to a non-AA carrier (for a total of 3). The TBIT immigration facility is VERY efficient for citizens/green card holders and I find luggage to come out fairly quickly in LAX.

The single traveler with global entry and no bag can breeze from the HKG 77W to having a glass of bubbly QF F lounge in TBIT in about 15-20 minutes (I've done it before). I think 2hours is pushing it in Miami, or Philadelphia. Not in LA. And in LA, if anything is going wrong, the poster above is correct that they "fast track" you
lds89 is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 1:17 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by lds89 View Post
Agreed - 2 hours should be more than enough time IF doing OW Int'l Arrivals or AA Int'l Arrivals to AA domestic; especially now at LAX they have eliminated an official customs check on the way out. You most likely will clear Imm/customs at TBIT - sometimes even T4 arrivals do. The connections process is a breeze (you go through the "secret" TSA checkpoint in the basement of Bradley that in the 6-7 times I've come off the HKG flight has taken all of 5 minutes), and you're right back in the T4/TBIT Connector. I would allow extra time of an hour if you're switching carriers to a non-AA carrier (for a total of 3). The TBIT immigration facility is VERY efficient for citizens/green card holders and I find luggage to come out fairly quickly in LAX.

The single traveler with global entry and no bag can breeze from the HKG 77W to having a glass of bubbly QF F lounge in TBIT in about 15-20 minutes (I've done it before). I think 2hours is pushing it in Miami, or Philadelphia. Not in LA. And in LA, if anything is going wrong, the poster above is correct that they "fast track" you
Yes. The flight we are interested in is AA Int's Arrivals to AA domestic, and the flight from HKG to LAX (e.g. AA 192) seems to be on time everyday except once in the last 2 weeks. We will have 5 people altogether, and this is the first time I hear about "fast track". How reliable are they? Also, how long is the walk between TBIT and T5 compared to the walk between TBIT and T4? I checked the past history that LAX to AUS may depart from gate 50B instead of T4 occasionally.
pat_pat_tong is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 3:05 am
  #41  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,515
If your group of five is focused, 5 to 10 minutes from where you come out after the "secret" TBIT transit security. Add a minute if coming from the Qantas lounges.

If "browns cows" then 20 minutes.

From the connector, head to T4.

On arrival adjacent gate 41 go down the escalator, over to the councourse and and turn right.

Head along past gate 42 then down the escalator to the left and wind around to the tunnel.

Walk along this until you get to T5.

Head up the escalators to the T5 concourse.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 15, 18 at 3:19 am
serfty is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 3:27 am
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,515
Here's how to get to the transit security after TBIT arrival processing

LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector (open Feb 2016)
serfty is offline  
Old Feb 15, 18, 9:24 am
  #43  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 12,538
Originally Posted by pat_pat_tong View Post
Also, how long is the walk between TBIT and T5 compared to the walk between TBIT and T4?
Add three to five minutes to walk from T4 to T5.

Take a look at the linked map:
TWA884 is offline  
Old Apr 24, 18, 6:32 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 130
Looking at a CLT-LAX-LAS flight with a 50 minute connection.

The reason for the route is basically to scramble a few additional miles before a couple of international trips to try and get me across platinum.

I know 50 minutes is above MCT, but all things being equal, is that realistic for a domestic connection at LAX? My experiences of LAX haven’t been hugely positive in terms of times, but that was mainly TSA related.

Do the CLT arrival and LAS departure both get served from T4?

Thanks
thedeeg is offline  
Old Apr 24, 18, 7:02 am
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattGlobalist►HiltonGold
Posts: 21,515
T4/T5/TBIT (&T6/T7/T8) where AA depart from are all connected by airside walkways; Max 15 minutes between gates. No need for TSA.

If your CLT flight arrives on time, you will be fine; myself I'd prefer longer. Since a single ticket you'd be "protected".
serfty is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: