Search

Lounge Choice(s) at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Lounge Choice(s) at LHR

Hey all,

I'm on a JFK-HYD trip next week which has multi-hour stopovers at LHR. I'm trying to decide which lounge to use in each direction (AA EXP/OW Emerald level access). Outbound I have a 5-hour stopover and have to go from T3 to T5. Inbound I have a 4-hour stopover and have to go from T4 to T3. Should I use Admirals Club, Galleries, or Qatar lounges? I would like to use a shower going outbound at least. Visited Galleries last year, it was pretty good, haven't been to the others. Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Outbound, your first class/emerald lounge in T5 is going to be BA Galleries First located in the T5A South Lounges complex. Since you're departing from T5, you won't have access to lounges in other terminals. When you get to T5, follow the signs for South Lounges, when you go up the first set of escalators, turn left. If you're looking for a quiet corner, turn right after reception and then turn right again (you'll see signs for washrooms). There's a Champagne Bar back there, and it's usually very nice and quiet. If you like the buzz and sounds of the airport, turn left after reception and walk all the way down to the end: there's an "outdoor" terrace (it's not outdoors, it's just outside the lounge area and exposed to the terminal below).

On the return, you'll have more choices as T3 has three first class lounges to choose from. If you want a shower, the best are in the AA lounge. You can also get your AA "security" sticker at the AA lounge, so if a shower's in the cards I'd go there first, get your sticker, get cleaned up, then get out of dodge–there are no other reasons that a self-respecting EXP would be in the Flagship Lounge. Seriously. The other two options are BA Galleries First and Cathay Pacific's First Class lounge. BA's lounge has better booze than CX, but it's gotten worse over the past couple of years. Even still, there should be pour-it-yourself JW Blue (how about a Blue & Coke? just because you can), and of course self serve Champagne of questionable awesomeness. Food is going to be passable, but present. On the other hand, you've got CX: if you like Asian food, the Cathay Pacific Noodle Bar is a must-visit. Head over, they'll show you to the first class side of the lounge, and an attendant will take your order. Don't be shy: if two look good, order two. If you finish your shrimp wontons and realise you need more wontons, order another round. This is seriously good lounge food. They also have Perrier-Jouët, which I actually think is better than the stuff BA have had at their Champagne bar of late. The big upside of the Cathay Pacific First lounge though is that, unless you're within 60-90 minutes or so of a CX departure, you can often be the only person there. Personal, attentive service, a quiet seat with a fantastic view, this lounge for me is the best of the LHR T3 first class options.

Enjoy your travels!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:29 pm

As long as you have right of entry to the UK then the AA arrivals lounge in T3 is best for a shower - there are numerous moans on the BA board about the availability and quality of showers airside at T5.

It does mean travelling from T3 to T5 landside but this is free on the Heathrow Express or can be done on the tube for free with a contactless payment card
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
One does not require a boarding pass to transit terminals. For example, on your return rather than taking the transit bus from T4-T3, you can enter T4 at the transit checkpoint (though note you will need to clear security again when you transfer to T3). I happen to love the Qatar lounge - full sit-down restaurant, great hors d'ouvres selection, amazing showers (multi-shower heads, heated floors, terrycloth robes) and a nice, quiet living room area. Tough call since the F options in T3 (BA and CX) are good as well, not to mention they will be more convenient for you.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
As long as you have right of entry to the UK then the AA arrivals lounge in T3 is best for a shower -
If you plan to enter the UK be well prepared to answer the immigration questions and have proof of your onward journey handy. UK Immigration has gotten MUCH more aggressive lately to passports of all nationalities. This is also making the lines for immigration clearance much slower at busy times.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Unless you have enough time to leave the airport, I'd skip the landside arrivals lounge. To me, it's just not worth clearing immigration -- and the queue wait can be unpredictable as well.

And if re-entering T4 on your return requires clearing transit security twice (I'm assuming you'll have to do that at T4 and T3), then I'd say the same thing...just go to T3 as the BA and CX lounges are just fine.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
One does not require a boarding pass to transit terminals. For example, on your return rather than taking the transit bus from T4-T3, you can enter T4 at the transit checkpoint (though note you will need to clear security again when you transfer to T3). I happen to love the Qatar lounge - full sit-down restaurant, great hors d'ouvres selection, amazing showers (multi-shower heads, heated floors, terrycloth robes) and a nice, quiet living room area. Tough call since the F options in T3 (BA and CX) are good as well, not to mention they will be more convenient for you.
The Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at T4 is specifically excluded from oneworld lounge access rules, and has stated rules that the lounge is available only to business and first passengers—whether that includes business and first passengers on partners I don't know, but they're not obligated by rules to allow access. I'd also avoid ending up airside in the wrong terminal; it's not plainly clear how to get from T4 airside to another terminal.

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Unless you have enough time to leave the airport, I'd skip the landside arrivals lounge. To me, it's just not worth clearing immigration -- and the queue wait can be unpredictable as well.

And if re-entering T4 on your return requires clearing transit security twice (I'm assuming you'll have to do that at T4 and T3), then I'd say the same thing...just go to T3 as the BA and CX lounges are just fine.
This. I definitely wouldn't go through immigration hassles just to access an arrivals lounge.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Microwave
Outbound, your first class/emerald lounge in T5 is going to be BA Galleries First located in the T5A South Lounges complex. Since you're departing from T5, you won't have access to lounges in other terminals. When you get to T5, follow the signs for South Lounges, when you go up the first set of escalators, turn left. If you're looking for a quiet corner, turn right after reception and then turn right again (you'll see signs for washrooms). There's a Champagne Bar back there, and it's usually very nice and quiet. If you like the buzz and sounds of the airport, turn left after reception and walk all the way down to the end: there's an "outdoor" terrace (it's not outdoors, it's just outside the lounge area and exposed to the terminal below).

On the return, you'll have more choices as T3 has three first class lounges to choose from. If you want a shower, the best are in the AA lounge. You can also get your AA "security" sticker at the AA lounge, so if a shower's in the cards I'd go there first, get your sticker, get cleaned up, then get out of dodge–there are no other reasons that a self-respecting EXP would be in the Flagship Lounge. Seriously. The other two options are BA Galleries First and Cathay Pacific's First Class lounge. BA's lounge has better booze than CX, but it's gotten worse over the past couple of years. Even still, there should be pour-it-yourself JW Blue (how about a Blue & Coke? just because you can), and of course self serve Champagne of questionable awesomeness. Food is going to be passable, but present. On the other hand, you've got CX: if you like Asian food, the Cathay Pacific Noodle Bar is a must-visit. Head over, they'll show you to the first class side of the lounge, and an attendant will take your order. Don't be shy: if two look good, order two. If you finish your shrimp wontons and realise you need more wontons, order another round. This is seriously good lounge food. They also have Perrier-Jouët, which I actually think is better than the stuff BA have had at their Champagne bar of late. The big upside of the Cathay Pacific First lounge though is that, unless you're within 60-90 minutes or so of a CX departure, you can often be the only person there. Personal, attentive service, a quiet seat with a fantastic view, this lounge for me is the best of the LHR T3 first class options.

Enjoy your travels!
I second this recommendation. I love the outside lounge in Galleries First - the buzz is cool and you feel less contained after the flight across the pond. Showers are not as good as AA on the return, but it might have been time of day for me (I've had to wait a few times). Breakfast is great in this lounge. Nothing like a mimosa (or three) before boarding for the continuing journey. On the return I've said a few times after my shower that I'm heading to CK lounge only to get lazy. The LHR AA lounge to me is just another AC with fewer people. Spot on analysis.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:08 am

My general plan when flying AA from T3 is to eat in the CX F lounge, drink in the BA F lounge, and get any ticket issues resolved in the AA FL.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
The Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at T4 is specifically excluded from oneworld lounge access rules, and has stated rules that the lounge is available only to business and first passengers—whether that includes business and first passengers on partners I don't know, but they're not obligated by rules to allow access. I'd also avoid ending up airside in the wrong terminal; it's not plainly clear how to get from T4 airside to another terminal.
You're right - my mistake. I've been able to access the Qatar lounge when flying Malaysia Airlines in business class (despite MH having their own lounge at T4), so OP should still be granted access if seated in J or F on a OW carrier. Your point on getting from T4 airside to T3 is well taken though - while possible it's not clearly marked.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:51 am

Is it possible to use the QR lounge if arriving from a T3 flight then? I was under the impression from other threads regarding this issue this was not allowed because a T4 BP was required. I understand it may take some time though? How long will a T3-T4 transfer take? Would the train or bus be faster?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Thanks everyone for your recommendations! Looks like I'll stick to T5 Galleries First on the outbound (no disappointment there). I'll go to T3 on the inbound unless I get really lucky with Qatar and T4, will try all three lounges if I have time (I've been to CX lounges at HKG, very impressive).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RakibulIslam
Thanks everyone for your recommendations! Looks like I'll stick to T5 Galleries First on the outbound (no disappointment there). I'll go to T3 on the inbound unless I get really lucky with Qatar and T4, will try all three lounges if I have time (I've been to CX lounges at HKG, very impressive).
Don't expect the CX T3 lounge to be up to the level of its HKG counterparts, but it's still a very decent place to spend some time. I don't think you will get into the QR lounge in T4 for a couple reasons. As stated above typical access rules don't apply at QR lounges, and I'm thinking you probably won't even be able to access the departure area of T4 if you're onward flight is from T3. Still, if you can find a way in, then that QR lounge in T4 is excellent.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by RakibulIslam
Outbound: It makes sense to stick with T5. Get in the queue for shower right away. Finding a quiet area in the lounge is not difficult, you just need to get far away from the entrance as well as food areas.

Return: If you have the time and just want to test QR, please post your experience with it. Otherwise stay with T3. Shower at AA and then compare BA v CX. The CX is not like lounges HKG, but most of the time it can be a charming abode of peace (exceptions being before CX departures).
Old Aug 18, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K

Enjoy your travels!
The AA showers are better than the CX showers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.