Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gold Calls routing to Executive Platinum Desk?

Old Aug 13, 15, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold

Noticed something weird over the past week or so. As an AA Gold, whenever I've called over the past few weeks all of my calls (at least 5 calls) have been routed to the EXP desk. I know that the EXP desk often handles overflow for the general queue, but I'm 5/5 for getting them to answer my calls. Anyone else seen this happen recently or know if this is just a fluke in the system? (Not complaining, just found it a little weird)
Old Aug 13, 15, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Wow. 5/5 as a Gold, huh? Lucky you.....that won't last.
Old Aug 13, 15, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Consider yourself lucky. Time to buy a lottery ticket or head to Vegas.
Old Aug 14, 15, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I've had this happen too. I am lifetime Gold. Called in about an award ticket. The IVR addressed me by name so they had access to my status. I was surprised when the agent answered as being the Executive Platinum Desk. He said he was happy to help me out and got my request completed. Very pleased with the service provided.
Old Aug 14, 15, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
FWIW, I've always had EXP desk saved in my phone, always dial that number, and even as a PLT now, I get routed to EXP desk 9/10 times. I had about the same result when I was actually EXP. This didn't start happening again until the new phone system went live.
Old Aug 14, 15, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK, UA1K
For the non-EXPs getting the EXP desk, are you calling the EXP number?

I think there is an issue with the new system routing people to the desk of the number they called, regardless of status.
Old Aug 14, 15, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's all marketing hype. The higher your status, the more senior and better-trained an agent you get (and that agent may have more authority as a result). The IVR either recognizes status from your linked phone or because you enter your #. That allows an agent to answer, "EXP Desk" or "sub human desk" as the case may be. It also allows an EXP to jump the queue.

In theory, you can dial any AA # and be routed to the proper "desk". Strikes me that something is off with the IVR and it may be routing Golds who should be answered "Gold" as "EXP" even though by the same agent.
Old Aug 14, 15, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It's all marketing hype. The higher your status, the more senior and better-trained an agent you get (and that agent may have more authority as a result). The IVR either recognizes status from your linked phone or because you enter your #. That allows an agent to answer, "EXP Desk" or "sub human desk" as the case may be. It also allows an EXP to jump the queue.

In theory, you can dial any AA # and be routed to the proper "desk". Strikes me that something is off with the IVR and it may be routing Golds who should be answered "Gold" as "EXP" even though by the same agent.
In the past, my understanding was that EXP Desk AAgents were separate people exclusive from the general/GLD/PLT AAgents.
Old Aug 14, 15, 11:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

The idea of one calling and getting a more knowledgeable agent is certainly hype - and particularly since recent closures and losses meant an influx of new EXP / EP agents.

The "EXP Desk" is not a line into the general call center, though the Gold and Platinum numbers are prioritized connections into the call center. The idea ALL AAdvantage members are channeled to the same agents or call center is inaccurate and factually incorrect.

There's plenty of verifying experience and information in this forum about this fact, and as a multi-year EXP member, I am certainly aware of how this system works, which locations of the EP Desk personnel have closed in recent years (LAX, TUS, BDL) and have had specific agents I've often requested at those desks.

Please refrain from posting significant misinformation as if it were fact or actual knowledge here.
Old Aug 14, 15, 1:20 pm
Suspended

No, this is complete nonsense and shows zero understanding of the actually system. Less than that actually. It's rare to see this level of misinformation in a post here (thankfully.)

And, as far as a -specific- gold routinely getting an EP agent, that is not a "fluke" or "luck" or a "glitch". It's member-specific for certain golds and plats to be routed to EP agents whenever possible.
Old Aug 14, 15, 3:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mgarrett96 View Post
Noticed something weird over the past week or so. As an AA Gold, whenever I've called over the past few weeks all of my calls (at least 5 calls) have been routed to the EXP desk. I know that the EXP desk often handles overflow for the general queue, but I'm 5/5 for getting them to answer my calls. Anyone else seen this happen recently or know if this is just a fluke in the system? (Not complaining, just found it a little weird)
Sounds like it's not a fluke, according to JonNYC. Gold plus like? Congratulations. And enjoy!
Old Aug 15, 15, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
I wish I could get in on that. Former EXP now Plat, but I would think I have decent value as my spend per ticket is usually quite high.

Called tonight (Saturday) and got the "we'll call you back in 35 to 50 minutes" offer. That was an hour ago.

A year ago I'd get someone within at worst 10 minutes as a Plat.
Old Aug 16, 15, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Called the EXP "desk" today. Since when was there a phone option menu you had to press to get options.
Old Aug 16, 15, 6:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by mwk190 View Post
I wish I could get in on that. Former EXP now Plat, but I would think I have decent value as my spend per ticket is usually quite high.

Called tonight (Saturday) and got the "we'll call you back in 35 to 50 minutes" offer. That was an hour ago.

A year ago I'd get someone within at worst 10 minutes as a Plat.
I've gotten 18-20 minute call back times... never 35 to 50 minutes though...
Old Aug 16, 15, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
Called the EXP "desk" today. Since when was there a phone option menu you had to press to get options.
Since the US phone system was adopted back in May.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: