Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 16, 17, 5:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Priority Baggage Delivery
including eligibility, delivery and Priority tag issues

Link to aa.com page for Priority baggage delivery

Priority baggage delivery is encoded on the baggage check ribbon tag affixed to checked baggage and by a one world standard orange "PRIORITY" tag affixed separately or to the baggage check tag.

Priority baggage delivery

Putting your luggage first

In addition to priority access privileges, on eligible flights*, our top customers can look forward to a swift, convenient exit from the airport with our complimentary Priority baggage delivery service. At check in, your baggage will be tagged with branded Priority bag tags, and when you arrive at your destination, they’ll be among the first delivered to the baggage claim area.

This service applies only to:

  • First Class and Business Class customers **
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum members
  • AAdvantage Platinum members
  • AirPass travelers
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members

To enjoy the benefits of this service, check your bag directly with American at:

  • A ticket counter
  • Self-service check-in machine
  • Curbside check-in
  • Off-site check-in locations such as Disney and participating cruise lines
* Service is available on all American Airlines and American Eagle flights system-wide. Excludes codeshare flights.

** If upgrading, your First or Business Class seat must be confirmed before check-in to be eligible for this service.
Updated 23 Feb 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 10, 16, 8:28 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Francisco
Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, former UA 1K (sigh)
Posts: 13
1 bag or more?

My experience with priority tags is almost always good, mostly in SFO and JFK but elsewhere too. If my (foggy) memory serves, a single bag with tags usually comes out in the first batch. If I am traveling with family and have multiple bags, however, delivery is more spread out. Almost never wait more than 20 minutes once someone's bags start popping out.
Howardsarin is offline  
Old Jan 10, 16, 10:04 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Posts: 732
I would agree that LAX bag delivery is atrocious...average wait is like 30 mins regardless of priority status or not.

I flew a weekend flight to LGA...plane was half full. My priority tagged bags made it out after a large batch of untagged bags. Not sure how they do it operationally, but I don't really expect my bags to come out first, with or without tags.
Hotel_junkie is offline  
Old Jan 11, 16, 5:28 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,250
Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
I wouldn't go quite that far, but their service is ridiculously inconsistent. Give me AS's 20-minute guarantee over AA's "priority" service any day.

That said, I seriously doubt the priority tags are going anywhere. It'd go counter to basically the whole oneworld alliance.
Originally Posted by aanswer View Post
Wonder how that would work out on INTL trips connecting to other OW carriers.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That depends on the carrier you connect to. No matter what carrier I use for connection to Japan Airlines, there is always a JAL F tag on my bag in Tokyo. Also replacing another OW carrier's tag.
In the end it is the bar code not the priority tag that tells the system where the bag should be loaded.
Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
This is what I have been told by several LUS checkin agents -- that the physical tag doesn't really matter, if you have priority baggage handling it is encoded in the barcode, and your bag should come out first.

I don't often check bags, but I find that they always come out first on LUS at DCA. I agree with a some of the other posters that it's heavily station-dependent.
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
The priorty tags will stay unless AA wants to drop out of international routes where other airlines use the tags and actually make them a priorty.
Originally Posted by Piedmont767 View Post
Don't give me any ideas!! Priority Bag Tags aren't going away.
Originally Posted by ScreenGuy View Post
I noticed that the bag tags say "priority" on them so maybe just the orange tag is going away and there will be an automated priority process now? Just speculation...
Although it is only rumor, I think ScreenGuy is exactly right. AY has gotten ridden of the orange tags sometime ago (I complained about this in the AY forum, and was told this was the case). Still got my bag out in the first batch at LHR flying from HEL.

This would make sense for 2 reasons I can think of:

1) How much inefficiency does it add having to add those orange tags on the thousands of bags a day (don't know if it tens, hundreds of thousands or more)

2) The "priority" being automatically added and coded will eventually allow for better systematic support for this OW benefit across all airlines and airports
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Jan 12, 16, 2:27 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Posts: 7,039
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
AS and DL each have a 20 minute baggage guarantee. Don't get your bags in 20 mins? You get a couple thousand miles.
AA would go broke if they did this.
aamilesslave is offline  
Old Jan 12, 16, 2:29 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,538
Originally Posted by Howardsarin View Post
My experience with priority tags is almost always good, mostly in SFO and JFK but elsewhere too. If my (foggy) memory serves, a single bag with tags usually comes out in the first batch. If I am traveling with family and have multiple bags, however, delivery is more spread out. Almost never wait more than 20 minutes once someone's bags start popping out.
To put this in context, AS and DL promise to deliver all your bags within 20 minutes of your plane gets to the gate. It shouldn't be exciting to only have to wait 20 minutes after bags start coming out of the carousel (which, in my experience is often 30 minutes or more after arrival).
jordyn is offline  
Old Jan 13, 16, 1:38 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: US
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 1,753
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
1) How much inefficiency does it add having to add those orange tags on the thousands of bags a day (don't know if it tens, hundreds of thousands or more)

2) The "priority" being automatically added and coded will eventually allow for better systematic support for this OW benefit across all airlines and airports
1) Maybe 5 seconds per tag? I don't think eliminating the priority tag would add up to any substantial time savings over the course of a day for a ticket agent.

2) The problem now is to make sure that the automation correctly codes the bags. I've been bags that should've been priority not get the status, including my own.
ThreeJulietTango is offline  
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:01 pm
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,514
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post

2) The problem now is to make sure that the automation correctly codes the bags. I've been bags that should've been priority not get the status, including my own.
How do you see that? The fact that it is not printed anywhere does not mean the priority is not registered. The important point is what is registered to come up when the bar code is scanned.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:03 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: US
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 1,753
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
How do you see that? The fact that it is not printed anywhere does not mean the priority is not registered. The important point is what is registered to come up when the bar code is scanned.
If it's registered in the system as priority, the word "PRIORITY" will print in a small black box underneath the city code and the claim check will have a P on it. If that's not on the tag, it's not coded priority.
ThreeJulietTango is offline  
Old Jan 13, 16, 2:24 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,250
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
1) Maybe 5 seconds per tag? I don't think eliminating the priority tag would add up to any substantial time savings over the course of a day for a ticket agent.

2) The problem now is to make sure that the automation correctly codes the bags. I've been bags that should've been priority not get the status, including my own.
5 seconds per bag times 100's of bags per agent does start making a difference. It's always fun standing in line behind a family of 4 getting their 10 checked bags tagged. I'm having to wait almost an additional minute for the TA to affix the priority tags in addition to the normal ones.

I'm pretty sure that the same system identifier that is used to identify your BP to have "Priority Line" printed on it, is used on these baggage tags. If one fails, both do..
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 16, 3:24 pm
  #115  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,514
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
If it's registered in the system as priority, the word "PRIORITY" will print in a small black box underneath the city code and the claim check will have a P on it. If that's not on the tag, it's not coded priority.
The information coming on a bar code scan far exceeds all visual clues given to the customer. While the P and Priority is a good indicator, it is not the final word in the matter. Actual system record is.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 16, 3:32 pm
  #116  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 214
I was traveling with my girlfriend (I'm EP, she has no status) and when checking in bags, the agent split the bags between the reservations (instead of both under me) and only put a priority tag on my bag.

Come pickup time, her bag comes out 30 mins before mine - following neither tag nor barcode logic.

Not the first time!
steaminer is offline  
Old Jan 13, 16, 3:36 pm
  #117  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,514
Originally Posted by steaminer View Post
I was traveling with my girlfriend (I'm EP, she has no status) and when checking in bags, the agent split the bags between the reservations (instead of both under me) and only put a priority tag on my bag.

Come pickup time, her bag comes out 30 mins before mine - following neither tag nor barcode logic.

Not the first time!
One thing is tagging it correctly as priority, another is for AA to deliver the priority luggage first. The latter is a very disputed ability.

I would have insisted I had two bags in that situation
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 15, 16, 9:02 pm
  #118  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Durham, NC (RDU/GSO/CLT)
Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 30,478
Guess I'm in the minority on this one as my Priority Tagged bags come out first. At ZRH on IB (AA tag starting in RDU), ORD and RDU since the merger.

Also, I cannot imagine the tags going away.
CMK10 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 16, 1:09 am
  #119  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: US
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 1,753
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
5 seconds per bag times 100's of bags per agent does start making a difference. It's always fun standing in line behind a family of 4 getting their 10 checked bags tagged. I'm having to wait almost an additional minute for the TA to affix the priority tags in addition to the normal ones.

I'm pretty sure that the same system identifier that is used to identify your BP to have "Priority Line" printed on it, is used on these baggage tags. If one fails, both do..
A typical agent will accept 75-125 bags in an 8-hour shift. Assuming all bags are priority and a time savings of 5 seconds per bag, the agent has saved a little over 10 minutes.

Priority for boarding passes and bag tags use different identifiers since it's possible to have a priority boarding pass but not a priority bag (an AA Gold flying economy, for example).

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
The information coming on a bar code scan far exceeds all visual clues given to the customer. While the P and Priority is a good indicator, it is not the final word in the matter. Actual system record is.
But my point is that it will not print if it's not in the system as priority. The priority status is given to the bag when the tag is generated and the printed tag reflects that.

Originally Posted by steaminer View Post
I was traveling with my girlfriend (I'm EP, she has no status) and when checking in bags, the agent split the bags between the reservations (instead of both under me) and only put a priority tag on my bag.

Come pickup time, her bag comes out 30 mins before mine - following neither tag nor barcode logic.

Not the first time!
I would've put priority tags on all the bags since it would otherwise defeat the purpose if you had to wait for her bags anyway. Though of course it would've been moot without the status in the bar code.
ThreeJulietTango is offline  
Old Jan 16, 16, 9:34 am
  #120  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,250
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
A typical agent will accept 75-125 bags in an 8-hour shift. Assuming all bags are priority and a time savings of 5 seconds per bag, the agent has saved a little over 10 minutes.

10 minutes is a lot of time when aggregated across all agents, but understand your point.

Priority for boarding passes and bag tags use different identifiers since it's possible to have a priority boarding pass but not a priority bag (an AA Gold flying economy, for example).

I'm sure that the system is coded to each tier:

EXP=Priority and Executive Platinum printed on BP + Priority on luggage tags
PLT=Priority and Platinum printed on BP + Priority on luggage tags
GLD=Priority and Gold printed on BP

But my point is that it will not print if it's not in the system as priority. The priority status is given to the bag when the tag is generated and the printed tag reflects that.

Agreed..
teemuflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: