Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 16, 17, 5:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Priority Baggage Delivery
including eligibility, delivery and Priority tag issues

Link to aa.com page for Priority baggage delivery

Priority baggage delivery is encoded on the baggage check ribbon tag affixed to checked baggage and by a one world standard orange "PRIORITY" tag affixed separately or to the baggage check tag.

Priority baggage delivery

Putting your luggage first

In addition to priority access privileges, on eligible flights*, our top customers can look forward to a swift, convenient exit from the airport with our complimentary Priority baggage delivery service. At check in, your baggage will be tagged with branded Priority bag tags, and when you arrive at your destination, they’ll be among the first delivered to the baggage claim area.

This service applies only to:

• First Class and Business Class customers **
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum members
  • AAdvantage Platinum members
  • AirPass travelers
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members

To enjoy the benefits of this service, check your bag directly with American at:

• A ticket counter
  • Self-service check-in machine
  • Curbside check-in
  • Off-site check-in locations such as Disney and participating cruise lines
* Service is available on all American Airlines and American Eagle flights system-wide. Excludes codeshare flights.

** If upgrading, your First or Business Class seat must be confirmed before check-in to be eligible for this service.
Updated 23 Feb 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 16, 2:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I've had 50% success with priority tags, which is roughly my same success rate without them.

Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
This is what I have been told by several LUS checkin agents -- that the physical tag doesn't really matter, if you have priority baggage handling it is encoded in the barcode, and your bag should come out first.
For this reason, nothing would change if the priority tag went away.

Originally Posted by ScreenGuy View Post
I noticed that the bag tags say "priority" on them so maybe just the orange tag is going away and there will be an automated priority process now? Just speculation...
There already is, but I don't see AA eliminating it since it's a bright orange acknowledgement of priority status instead of a tiny black box on the bag tag.

Originally Posted by Kate2015 View Post
Isn't it already encoded, though? I always thought that's what the P on the claim ticket meant, ans assumed it was encoded elsewhere too.
Yes. The bag will scan as having priority status.

If you use a self-tag kiosk and can examine the bag tag, you'll also see a small black box with the word "PRIORITY" under the city code on a priority status bag.
Old Jan 5, 16, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
Or JL, for that matter. Bags delivered in exact order of priority, plus delivery started 10 mins after deplaning. Both in SIN and LAX.
You will notice that even out outstations there is basically always someone in a JL uniform present at the bagage belt, and apart from assisting passengers they are pretty certainly monitoring the performance of the delivery. The correct order being F tags > JGC tags > business class tags > non priority
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
I'm generally happy with delivery of priority tagged bags, though it's obviously dependent on each individual airport (and it's practically worthless arriving back into the states at TBIT). So while I like the tags, I would love to see AA adopt a system like the Qantas Q Bag Tag. It's a brilliant system that takes care of the priority process, too. And how much faster it would make the airport experience! Please AA...please!
Old Jan 5, 16, 9:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Like someone upthread said probably related to reducing theft from baggage handlers. Im dreading my stopover later this month in JNB.
Old Jan 6, 16, 9:11 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
My experience with priority luggage handling is all over the map: sometimes among the first bags out, sometimes in the middle, sometimes near the end. I don't consider the priority baggage tag a benefit. Getting rid of the tags won't affect me.
Same here. Rarely have I had priority delivery at LAX or DCA, and never, ever, in BOG. Save the paper and don't bother with the tags; it's more marketing than service delivery.
Old Jan 6, 16, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've had rather good luck with my bags *knocks on wood* coming out among the first dozen or so. Even a handful of times being the first one to roll of the belt, guess it just depends on the airport more than anything else.
Old Jan 6, 16, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Silver, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I've had a mixed bag with AA's priority handling. US's wasn't too bad - most of the time they worked. I think UA was the most consistent with priority baggage handling.

There was that one time with pmUS at MCO where I had a bag be the very first AND another be the VERY LAST on the belt. How does THAT happen?
Old Jan 6, 16, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax View Post
I think the priority bags came out first a couple times on flights I took pre-merger.

Post-merger, literally not once on an AA flight.

At LAX T-6 (LUS), I've never waited less that 40 minutes after deplaning for my bag. LAX T-6 is an unbelievable train wreck for baggage. Everyone on that ground crew should be fired, as should their managers.
Exact same experience at LAX the last 2 months, if not closer to 60 minutes. Because of this I sometimes make a connect flight out of BUR over a direct at LAX.

None of the AA flights I've taken have the priority bags came out first. When I was with UA, they always came out first.

Last year I flew code share on AS and I was spoiled by how quickly their bags arrive. At PDX, they would be coming out right about the time I walked up to the claim after a 10 minute walk from terminal A.
Old Jan 6, 16, 1:01 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
You mean the "pilfer first" tags? They're useless anyway. Who cares.
No, those would be the "special handling" tags.
Old Jan 6, 16, 1:08 pm

Regardless of how inefficiently priority baggage handling works nowadays, I doubt AA will get rid of the priority baggage tags.
Old Jan 6, 16, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Interesting. It's a stated OneWorld benefit for elites: https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits

I guess AA would be getting an asterisk just like like BA: **Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways
Old Jan 6, 16, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shawn67 View Post
Like someone upthread said probably related to reducing theft from baggage handlers.
it's a fun idea, but certainly not factor.
Old Jan 6, 16, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I've never waited less than 30 minutes to collect bags in SAN so IMO they can try whatever they want to improve baggage handling.
Old Jan 6, 16, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
I've never waited less than 30 minutes to collect bags in SAN so IMO they can try whatever they want to improve baggage handling.
I've waited less than 30 minutes at SAN, but the delivery can be wildly varying. I checked two bags at the same time a few months ago, and both were tagged priority -- one was the first one off, and the other came about 10 minutes later in the middle of the pack.

Last edited by linglingfool; Jan 6, 16 at 5:13 pm
Old Jan 10, 16, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
I agree that it can be hit or miss when all bags are loaded. But, I have been on flights that were overweight, and the pilot has informed us that not all bags will be loaded. Only priority bags came off the belt at the destination.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: