Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 16, 17, 5:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Priority Baggage Delivery
including eligibility, delivery and Priority tag issues

Link to aa.com page for Priority baggage delivery

Priority baggage delivery is encoded on the baggage check ribbon tag affixed to checked baggage and by a one world standard orange "PRIORITY" tag affixed separately or to the baggage check tag.

Priority baggage delivery

Putting your luggage first

In addition to priority access privileges, on eligible flights*, our top customers can look forward to a swift, convenient exit from the airport with our complimentary Priority baggage delivery service. At check in, your baggage will be tagged with branded Priority bag tags, and when you arrive at your destination, they’ll be among the first delivered to the baggage claim area.

This service applies only to:

• First Class and Business Class customers **
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum members
  • AAdvantage Platinum members
  • AirPass travelers
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members

To enjoy the benefits of this service, check your bag directly with American at:

• A ticket counter
  • Self-service check-in machine
  • Curbside check-in
  • Off-site check-in locations such as Disney and participating cruise lines
* Service is available on all American Airlines and American Eagle flights system-wide. Excludes codeshare flights.

** If upgrading, your First or Business Class seat must be confirmed before check-in to be eligible for this service.
Updated 23 Feb 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 4, 16, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Wonder how that would work out on INTL trips connecting to other OW carriers.
Old Jan 4, 16, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
I've had better luck on LUS compared to LAA, but lately I think it has been a bit better. I just flew TXL-MAD-DFW originating on Iberia, connecting to AA; they don't use Priority tags, but had a green stripe on the bag tags, marked "Priority". When I arrived at DFW, my bag came about 10 minutes after I cleared immigration. I can't compare AA to any of the Asian carriers, but I think they're no worse than their European (read BA/IB) partners
Old Jan 4, 16, 9:00 pm
E55

Ah. That's too bad. They must like mine. Because it almost never fails that when I check a bag that it's out in some sort of priority.

Maybe you check too many bags?

Originally Posted by Kate2015 View Post
Exactly what extra consideration is that? Mine come out last, searched 90% of the time (I know that's not AA's fault, but it makes me wonder if the tags tempt the TSA screeners). Twice last year they actually missed my originating flight and had to be expedited on the next flight to make it to my destination on time - and no, I didn't check my luggage 35 minutes before departure.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 16 at 6:30 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Jan 4, 16, 9:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phlwookie View Post
US got better at it in its later years with it working most times I and family had priority-tagged bags. . . In prior years, I had about a 70-80% success rate on legacy US.
This is consistent with my experience on legacy US as well in recent years.

Success rate on the west side of US was, in my experience, somewhat higher and more consistent.

HP, then US, put a huge focus on these kinds of operational issues. God knows they needed to, to pull themselves out of the gutter. But they did. It was a Parker/Kirby focus on getting the fundamentals right. Hopefully they'll continue that focus with the new AA.
Old Jan 4, 16, 11:41 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post
I dont think priority does anything. AAs baggage handling ability is atrocious (that may be too nice).
Indeed AA's baggage handling is atrocious.

Having taken my most recent AA trip in paid F on 12/29, I was beyond peeved to have literally counted the first 28 bags without a priority tag come out--- it wasn't until bag #29 before the first Priority tagged bag hit the carousel.

After shifting 85% of my paid travel in 2015 to DL [with 100% of the travel in paid F] after AA's nixing of stopover on awards, the elimination the awesome OW award--all being eliminated overnight with 0 notice from AA-- and other personal reasons-- every single time Delta has managed to get their priority bags out first at every DL city I flew into in 2015.

Also flew 1 round-trip on UA in paid F, and Priority bags at both destinations came out of the carousel before those lacking Priority stickers.

If UA, with their management/customer service challenges can get Priority bags out correctly, and AA can't-- that really says something.
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, RR Gold
I'd be disappointed if true. It's a pretty darn high percentage that my bags come out in the first 10 when tagged priority.
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Sometimes I wonder if some of these rumors are a game among frontline AA employees -- i.e. whose cockamamie "leak" can get the most blog articles or longest FT thread
Old Jan 5, 16, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Depends on the airport

For me, my success has depended on the airport. I would like to see the priority tags stay but I would also like to see overall luggage delivery improve at the airport I use the most (PIT and PHX) - averaging 25 minutes or more. At PIT, they seem to delight in making sure the priority tagged bags come at the end. Not sure what happened to the legacy AA crew here in PIT but 90% of the time, by the time you made it to baggage claim, the bags were arriving on the belt.
Old Jan 5, 16, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by swag View Post
I don't have too much experience with US checked bags, but are/were they generally better than LAA when it comes to honoring the Priority tags?
Yes, LUS was very reliable for priority baggage. (Of course when you connected to another alliance carrier all bets were off.)
Old Jan 5, 16, 7:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Give me AS's 20-minute guarantee over AA's "priority" service any day.

That said, I seriously doubt the priority tags are going anywhere. It'd go counter to basically the whole oneworld alliance.
+1 on both counts. I was struck the one time we choose to fly US over AS PHL-SEA last year: we had to wait 48 minutes for our bags (which weren't priority tagged because they were [involuntarily] gate checked -- but they came out before the priority tagged bags).

Of course, it's not necessarily an either/or between priority and 20 minute guarantee (*ahem* DL), but I'd much rather see AA focus effort on getting everyone's bags out quickly than shuffling around which bags are delivered slightly less slowly than the others.
Old Jan 5, 16, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by aanswer View Post
Wonder how that would work out on INTL trips connecting to other OW carriers.
That depends on the carrier you connect to. No matter what carrier I use for connection to Japan Airlines, there is always a JAL F tag on my bag in Tokyo. Also replacing another OW carrier's tag.
In the end it is the bar code not the priority tag that tells the system where the bag should be loaded.
Old Jan 5, 16, 7:56 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by E55 View Post
Ah. That's too bad. They must like mine. Because it almost never fails that when I check a bag that it's out in some sort of priority.

Maybe you check too many bags?

E
I don't think 1 bag on 50% of trips is "too many", but I'm sure some people have other opinions.

Edited to add: in all seriousness, I think this has more to do with which airport is unloading the bags.
Old Jan 5, 16, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
In the end it is the bar code not the priority tag that tells the system where the bag should be loaded.
This is what I have been told by several LUS checkin agents -- that the physical tag doesn't really matter, if you have priority baggage handling it is encoded in the barcode, and your bag should come out first.

I don't often check bags, but I find that they always come out first on LUS at DCA. I agree with a some of the other posters that it's heavily station-dependent.
Old Jan 5, 16, 8:44 am

The priorty tags will stay unless AA wants to drop out of international routes where other airlines use the tags and actually make them a priorty.
Old Jan 5, 16, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kate2015 View Post
I don't think 1 bag on 50% of trips is "too many", but I'm sure some people have other opinions.

Edited to add: in all seriousness, I think this has more to do with which airport is unloading the bags.
When I check a bag its 1 on maybe 10% of trips. With my family its 3 bags on 4-5 trips a year. I guess some airports are better than others. My experience is mainly DFW and I've had nothing but major problems. I think my best experience is 20 minute wait.

My worst experience was 90 minutes and the police showing up after a plane full of people starting getting unruly at 2am when the American Airlines' baggage agent said she didnt care how long it was taking.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: