Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 16, 17, 5:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Priority Baggage Delivery
including eligibility, delivery and Priority tag issues

Link to aa.com page for Priority baggage delivery

Priority baggage delivery is encoded on the baggage check ribbon tag affixed to checked baggage and by a one world standard orange "PRIORITY" tag affixed separately or to the baggage check tag.

Priority baggage delivery

Putting your luggage first

In addition to priority access privileges, on eligible flights*, our top customers can look forward to a swift, convenient exit from the airport with our complimentary Priority baggage delivery service. At check in, your baggage will be tagged with branded Priority bag tags, and when you arrive at your destination, they’ll be among the first delivered to the baggage claim area.

This service applies only to:

• First Class and Business Class customers **
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum members
  • AAdvantage Platinum members
  • AirPass travelers
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members

To enjoy the benefits of this service, check your bag directly with American at:

• A ticket counter
  • Self-service check-in machine
  • Curbside check-in
  • Off-site check-in locations such as Disney and participating cruise lines
* Service is available on all American Airlines and American Eagle flights system-wide. Excludes codeshare flights.

** If upgrading, your First or Business Class seat must be confirmed before check-in to be eligible for this service.
Updated 23 Feb 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 4, 16, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by imapilotaz View Post
I dont think priority does anything. AAs baggage handling ability is atrocious (that may be too nice).

I dont think ive ever waited less than 25 mins on AA.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but their service is ridiculously inconsistent. Give me AS's 20-minute guarantee over AA's "priority" service any day.

That said, I seriously doubt the priority tags are going anywhere. It'd go counter to basically the whole oneworld alliance.
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:05 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
The only time it works for me is when I am connecting to an Asian carrier on the outbound as they seem to understand how it works. If it were me I would eliminate it domestically completely as it only creates unfulfilled expectations and leave it for international itineraries. As for the part that "all bags" are priority that is truly a new Aa enhancement.
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Late last night at the DFW E31 bag claim - used by LUS flights, and I assume LUS bag handlers - two separate arrivals, both had the priority tagged bags come out first.

I don't have too much experience with US checked bags, but are/were they generally better than LAA when it comes to honoring the Priority tags?
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've had more passes than fails.

But "all passenger bags should be treated as a priority."

Old Jan 4, 16, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Cool! Mine always come out last when priority tagged.
Old Jan 4, 16, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
I wouldn't go quite that far, but their service is ridiculously inconsistent. Give me AS's 20-minute guarantee over AA's "priority" service any day.
Agreed. The first bags on my AA flights basically never show up as quickly as the last bags on my DL/AS flights. I'd trade "no priority tags" for "not terrible at baggage handling" any day.
Old Jan 4, 16, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
Anecdotally, when I'm on Asian carriers with the priority bag tag, I'm #1 or close. Similarly on BA to the smaller airports (i.e. Manchester, Prague, etc.) I'm also #1. LHR it's early, but not first.

AA... totally hit or miss.
Old Jan 4, 16, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dp4m View Post
Anecdotally, when I'm on Asian carriers with the priority bag tag, I'm #1 or close. Similarly on BA to the smaller airports (i.e. Manchester, Prague, etc.) I'm also #1. LHR it's early, but not first.

AA... totally hit or miss.
Which is why I clearly stated "AA's is atrocious". I have good luck with Asian carriers. 75% of the time with BA. With AA, I typically get 1 bag in the first 4-5 bags, then very regularly my other 2-3 bags (when with family, as its only time I check a bag) come out in the final ~10 bags.
Old Jan 4, 16, 6:36 pm
E55

It's a favorite perk (no sarcasm), and I've had great experience with it. Just a way to feel more special than the crowd. And they're "priority" not "first bags out guaranteed" tags. It's just what I want.... a reason for someone to give my luggage some extra consideration if that right someone sees the tags.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 16 at 6:31 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K
I think the priority bags came out first a couple times on flights I took pre-merger.

Post-merger, literally not once on an AA flight.

At LAX T-6 (LUS), I've never waited less that 40 minutes after deplaning for my bag. LAX T-6 is an unbelievable train wreck for baggage. Everyone on that ground crew should be fired, as should their managers.
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I would expect AA marketing to fight such a change - particularly LAA staff. Cost is minimal, makes elites feel special. As many have said, actual priority handling is hot or miss, particularly in the US.
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
The ASE agent is full of it.
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
You mean the "pilfer first" tags? They're useless anyway. Who cares.
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by E55 View Post
It's a favorite perk (no sarcasm), and I've had great experience with it. Just a way to feel more special than the crowd. And they're "priority" not "first bags out guaranteed" tags. It's just what I want.... a reason for someone to give my luggage some extra consideration if that right someone sees the tags.

E
Exactly what extra consideration is that? Mine come out last, searched 90% of the time (I know that's not AA's fault, but it makes me wonder if the tags tempt the TSA screeners). Twice last year they actually missed my originating flight and had to be expedited on the next flight to make it to my destination on time - and no, I didn't check my luggage 35 minutes before departure.
Old Jan 4, 16, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by swag View Post
Late last night at the DFW E31 bag claim - used by LUS flights, and I assume LUS bag handlers - two separate arrivals, both had the priority tagged bags come out first.

I don't have too much experience with US checked bags, but are/were they generally better than LAA when it comes to honoring the Priority tags?
US got better at it in its later years with it working most times I and family had priority-tagged bags. Now that we've been flying the legacy AA system more, the consistency on the AA side seems more akin to what US's was in bankruptcy, where priority bags came out last as much as first. Last year I and family checked bags on 7 flights, 6 legacy AA, 1 legacy US (yes, I do this so rarely I can keep track). The US flight had the bags come out first as expected, 2 of the AA flights did, with 2 mixed among regular bags, and 2 where no priority bags came out until last (thanks JFK and ORD). In prior years, I had about a 70-80% success rate on legacy US.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: