Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Priority tag / tags for checked baggage / luggage (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 16, 17, 5:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Priority Baggage Delivery
including eligibility, delivery and Priority tag issues

Link to aa.com page for Priority baggage delivery

Priority baggage delivery is encoded on the baggage check ribbon tag affixed to checked baggage and by a one world standard orange "PRIORITY" tag affixed separately or to the baggage check tag.

Priority baggage delivery

Putting your luggage first

In addition to priority access privileges, on eligible flights*, our top customers can look forward to a swift, convenient exit from the airport with our complimentary Priority baggage delivery service. At check in, your baggage will be tagged with branded Priority bag tags, and when you arrive at your destination, they’ll be among the first delivered to the baggage claim area.

This service applies only to:

• First Class and Business Class customers **
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum members
  • AAdvantage Platinum members
  • AirPass travelers
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members

To enjoy the benefits of this service, check your bag directly with American at:

• A ticket counter
  • Self-service check-in machine
  • Curbside check-in
  • Off-site check-in locations such as Disney and participating cruise lines
* Service is available on all American Airlines and American Eagle flights system-wide. Excludes codeshare flights.

** If upgrading, your First or Business Class seat must be confirmed before check-in to be eligible for this service.
Updated 23 Feb 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 23, 15, 5:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Rubbish all around. They can do that, or at least I've certainly never had trouble with that; some make up rules and use "can't" as one of the leading words in their vocabulary. Translate to "I won't".

Some ticket counter agents at SFO are all right, some of them undoubtedly bathe in hydrochloride acid they wish to tant passengers with.

My solution: a five dollar bill or ? to the friendly, welcoming streetside "Sky caps" who I find more accurate and welcoming than those sourpusses among the AA agents.
Old Dec 23, 15, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA explt, 4.9m
I had this happen at LAX a few weeks ago. Was flying lax-Dfw-Hkg connecting to Cathay Hkg-Bkk. She put destination tags on then pulled bag to put on belt. I asked her to put the orange tag on. She said they don't do it anymore when 2 airlines are involved. She said Cathay won't recognize it. But put it on anyway. My bag was 7th off. Wether they recognize it or not, helps when looking for bag.
Old Dec 23, 15, 7:18 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
Generally speaking, the priority tags are meaningless. What's more important is the info on the barcode. If the barcode says, "priority," then it will be handled appropriately.
Old Dec 23, 15, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
I've never had an issue with the SFO agents putting priority tags on my luggage, then again I've never noticed my bags arriving any quicker than the luggage without priority tags.
Old Dec 23, 15, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gemini573 View Post
Generally speaking, the priority tags are meaningless. What's more important is the info on the barcode. If the barcode says, "priority," then it will be handled appropriately.
+1 - The tags are there to make people feel special when they're not. Of course they can put them on. Just meaningless.
Old Dec 23, 15, 8:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
+1 - The tags are there to make people feel special when they're not. Of course they can put them on. Just meaningless.
I bet that's an unfair generalization. In my experience some airports are better about recognizing the priority tags than others. So the deliverables are mixed. But I'm pretty sure ramp agents are not told by AA that they are meaningless.
Old Dec 23, 15, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by rj123456 View Post
Flew SFO-JFK on AA connecting to JFK-LHR on BA. Paid ticket in J. At SFO we encountered one of the surliest check-in agents in a very long time. She grumbled about how late I checked in for an international flight. We were at check in at 11:10 for a 12:35 departure (and I had preloaded all the passport information, so I don't understand what was the big deal).

Everyone else in the priority check in was getting the orange Priority baggage tags, so I asked the agent to put one on our bags too and was told that it could not be done because we were flying 2 different airlines.

I have done AA/BA connections a zillion times and never heard this claim before. Plus even prior to Oneworld AA/BA had a joint TATL operation when IIRC bags were tagged. Not sure if the tags even matter, but what is the point of OneWorld if they can't even do that?

BTW sure enough 1 of our 4 bags came out very late at LHR.
I think you're agent was nuts. I think she dreamt up a new rule because she was in such a bad mood. Even if this were some sort of strange rule, why would it hurt to put the the priority tags on anyway? One time I flew out of MKE and had to connect at ORD (70 miles) to go to FRA and she said I should have been there much earlier because I was flying internationally. I replied, since when is MKE to ORD International? I didn't have any more problems after I left her behind.
Old Dec 23, 15, 8:52 pm

That is really interesting. I have never heard that before. Where did you get this info about the bar code?
Old Dec 23, 15, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Gee, thank you for you're informative post.
Old Dec 23, 15, 10:19 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve View Post
That is really interesting. I have never heard that before. Where did you get this info about the bar code?
A friend of mine is a ground agent for a major airline. You can have your EXP baggage tag, your PRIORITY tag, your oneworld priority tag, all over your luggage. The barcode reader doesn't see it. It can only see what's embedded into the barcode. Once it reads the info, it sends the luggage off to where it needs to be sent off.
Old Dec 23, 15, 10:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
A friend of mine is a ground agent for a major airline. You can have your EXP baggage tag, your PRIORITY tag, your oneworld priority tag, all over your luggage. The barcode reader doesn't see it. It can only see what's embedded into the barcode. Once it reads the info, it sends the luggage off to where it needs to be sent off.
^ I've had this confirmed to me by an AA ramper as well. If it doesn't scan priority, it doesn't go in the priority cart/can. The tags are for appearances' sake only.
Old Dec 24, 15, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Priority Baggage Tags?

About putting tags on one world connecting airlines not being policy anymore really well that is rubbish
Have done it in the past with AA and BA no problem (bags did not come out early)
But I happy to report that is now a thing of the very past since I don't check a bag anymore
I use the local dry cleaner if necessary
Old Dec 24, 15, 9:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Some check in agents are just bad. I had it out with the BA people in DUB last month. First, they didn't want to give me the proper allowances, then they demanded that my carry ons fit in the sizer (which they do), and finally didn't want to priority tag them. I won on all 3, but it shouldn't be this hard.
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:48 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Rumor: Priority Baggage Tags Going Away

This was told to me by an agent at ASE, so take this with a HUMONGOUS grain of salt, but he said that they had received communication that the use of priority baggage tags will be discontinued "sometime soon", and that this was a product of the merger, because all passenger bags should be treated as a priority.

I realize that rumors like these are worthy, but just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had any supporting information.
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow View Post
This was told to me by an agent at ASE, so take this with a HUMONGOUS grain of salt, but he said that they had received communication that the use of priority baggage tags will be discontinued "sometime soon", and that this was a product of the merger, because all passenger bags should be treated as a priority.

I realize that rumors like these are worthy, but just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had any supporting information.
I dont think priority does anything. AAs baggage handling ability is atrocious (that may be too nice).

I dont think ive ever waited less than 25 mins on AA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: